Transit Updates for Greater Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

After this last millage ITP asked for passage it appears that the Western suburbs voted against renewing the Rapid. In some cases as much against it as those who supported it in the Eastern suburbs. An issue was also raised by opposition that The Rapid is posting huge gains mainly, because GRPS has ceased most or all (?) of its busing. It was floated around that GRPS students have ballooned ITP's recent ridership gains by almost half.

What ramifications, if any, does this have on any possible transit initiatives or future rapid transit options? How can improved transit options for the near term be looked upon as investments for the future with what many are calling a bad economy causing people to vote 'no'?

Edited by Rizzo

After this last millage ITP asked for passage it appears that the Western suburbs voted against renewing the Rapid. In some cases as much against it as those who supported it in the Eastern suburbs. An issue was also raised by opposition that The Rapid is posting huge gains mainly, because GRPS has ceased most or all (?) of its busing. It was floated around that GRPS students have ballooned ITP's recent ridership gains by almost half.

What ramifications, if any, does this have on any possible transit initiatives or future rapid transit options? How can improved transit options for the near term be looked upon as investments for the future with what many are calling a bad economy causing people to vote 'no'?

I say so what if the increased ridership is students, be they GVSU or GRPS? A person on the bus is a person on the bus. Actually, it should make the system better, since fuller busses and increased demand on the system cause for more routes and more busses on those routes over the long haul. It also eliminates the waste of a separate bussing system. I know, the goal of any transit system should be to get the people who are driving out of their cars and onto transit, but we have to start somewhere and once an infrastructure is built up, more people will want to use it.

I say so what if the increased ridership is students, be they GVSU or GRPS? A person on the bus is a person on the bus. Actually, it should make the system better, since fuller busses and increased demand on the system cause for more routes and more busses on those routes over the long haul. It also eliminates the waste of a separate bussing system. I know, the goal of any transit system should be to get the people who are driving out of their cars and onto transit, but we have to start somewhere and once an infrastructure is built up, more people will want to use it.

I say so what too. It wasn't a valid argument in my opinion, because this is a public service. Anyone with a $1.30 can use it.

The argument was that it was inequitable to make property owners in the other cities pay for ITP's enhancements and renewal when half its services are alleged to be from GRPS students. This argument has no grounds. There was a notion that why should taxpayers of other cities foot bills to bus children of other cities when a school system of that city should do its job as a transit provider. The premise of public transit is, public usage -- which is perfectly equitable in my opinion.

Seattle builds a streetcar:

The Seattle line will share road lanes with automobiles, except at the lake, where the tracks go inside the park instead of on congested Valley Street. Streetcars will have priority to cross at traffic signals.

But if the streetcars are spaced 15 minutes apart, and mingle with traffic, people might as well walk, skeptics say.

Licata faults the city for not emulating Tacoma, where the streetcar runs in its own median right of way. In Seattle, supporters got political traction by proposing the cheaper in-street design.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/loca...reetcar21m.html

• 2 weeks later...

Some local News. It looks like The Rapid is buying some land this year. Early this spring or even last year it was announced that they were going to buy the parcel directly south of the current site. This would go under the Wealthy street overpass and include the City parking lot. It has been rumored that this area could be used to "store" street cars for the proposed Street Car route in downtown.

In today's Rapid Growth article:

"The Interurban Transit Partnership board approved the purchase of five vacant parcels from the city that will be used to expand The Rapid transit system

post-6831-1181228241_thumb.jpg

I got word from a Kent County board member that the transportation committee could have a report this late summer or early fall. Supposedly, the issue is really complicated with suburban and rural townships. One issue is funding millage for transit in a township may be more than their operating millage. It seems that county wide transit could hinge on funding from the individual suburban townships. The next step is for ITP, townships, and the committee to meet and discuss these issues.

• 2 weeks later...

The MI Transportation Plan was released this week you can get it here. I haven't been able to read through it, but I hear the plan is Plain Jane.

On local transit news the Transit Subcommittee met Thursday. Supposedly, the meeting went well in hashing out the steps needed to commit to plan for a system.

I'm hoping to get some more information next week. The committee seems to be in a exploratory phase so I don't expect anything ground breaking.

With downtown parking, development opportunities, economic and social perspectives this should be reaching a critical mass of interested parties. With these vested parties there should be plenty of talk to keep this alive. If you feel compelled notify your local representative on the County Board of your interest and support.

Edited by Rizzo

The MI Transportation Plan was released this week you can get it here. I haven't been able to read through it, but I hear the plan is Plain Jane.

I skimmed through it...nothing too earth shattering. Here is a blurb about local plans:

Grand Rapids/Chicago Corridor, I-96 and I-196:

Plans are under way to modernize the I-196 corridor in Grand Rapids in conjunction with road and bridge rehabilitation work that will be undertaken over the next decade. These projects will bring bridges and roadway geometrics to current design standards, improve the I-96/I-196 junction area in Grand Rapids, and improve freeway mainline and interchanges in the Grand Rapids area. Long term plans for this corridor include the addition of a lane to meet anticipated roadway capacity needs. I-196 from Market Street to I-96, I-96 from Leonard to north of M-11 (28th St.) and a portion of M-37/M-44 (East Beltline) in the City of Grand Rapids and Grand Rapids Township.

Grand Rapids Area Bus Rapid Transit Initiative:

The Interurban Transit Partnership

Edited by Rhino6885

If Indy - Cincy - Chicago can be thinking it, why can't GR - Detroit - Chicago work?

Do we have any LEADERSHIP in Lansing to push this?

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...CAL18/707050439

Simple answer = NO. These are the folks that eliminated the SBT and still haven't agreed on how to replace the $1.9 billion in revenue it generated. These are the folks good at posturing and finger pointing but that's about it. I want "None of the above" as a choice in November.

Edited by Raildudes dad

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Do you know what they're using for their commuter train? I'm assuming its refurb'd Pullman's and older Amtrak engines? Might not be as glamorous as a bullet train, but it sure does the job. :thumbsup:

The train tomorrow is 2 refurbed ex Metra cars with an ex Via coach for 440 power. The motive power will be 1 or 2 GLC's GP 35s or 38's. (I can let you know tomorrow - I'm 1 of 2 passenger conductor's :P ). The commuter power isn't here yet, not sure if the power has been chosen. Some ex Amtrak F40's were under consideration.

Awesome! So we should assume that the A2 commuter line will be starting soon? Have a good trip, I can imagine you'd be envisioning some sort of the same here!

You have to wonder if they can why not us? I suppose the only real difference is the kind of track owners to deal with.

Edited by Rizzo

Awesome! So we should assume that the A2 commuter line will be starting soon? Have a good trip, I can imagine you'd be envisioning some sort of the same here!

You have to wonder if they can why not us? I suppose the only real difference is the kind of track owners to deal with.

The earliest the Howell - AA service could start would be spring according to someone "in the know". This is the typoe of service we need to start with here in GR. The Howell cars are in pretty good shape and the service is similar to the Nashville Star (check it out in TRAINS). We have RR here to the north that is interested in cooperating :) , it's also the route that makes the most sense.

Perhaps to get a streetcar line built here in GR we just need to come up with a creative name...

"Seattle's S.L.U.T. streetcar causing a stir

Popularly named Seattle Lake Union Trolley given unfortunate acronym

SEATTLE - Officially, it's the South Lake Union Streetcar. But in the neighborhood where the new line runs, it's called the South Lake Union Trolley

Perhaps to get a streetcar line built here in GR we just need to come up with a creative name...

"Seattle's S.L.U.T. streetcar causing a stir

Popularly named Seattle Lake Union Trolley given unfortunate acronym

SEATTLE - Officially, it's the South Lake Union Streetcar. But in the neighborhood where the new line runs, it's called the South Lake Union Trolley