Louisiana Weather

richyb83

No rain here yesterday or so far today, but it looks like we could be seeing some showers pop up around here soon.

And look at this giant wall of thunderstorms pushing across east Texas and west Louisiana, very impressive:

us_gls_closeradar_plus_usen.jpg

Baton Rouge has really been having problems with lightning stikes recently. :huh: I hated to hear about the kid at LSU a few weeks back, and now this roofer too. Hopefully people will take this as a warning, and stay away from any strike-prone locations during a storm.

We had about .75" of rain yesterday afternoon, and around another .35" today, which was nice. Anything over in Baton Rouge, Richy? Or up in SBC, Brian?

Nope, nothinbg here. I got about 3 or 4 inches of water in my side yard, but that's another story for another time! :D As far as actual rain goes, though, nothing today or yesterday.

Wow, if you lived in Vegas, you'd be in some deep s ...trouble right now. :lol:

Either way, when I get my water bill I'm going to cry. The good thing is, the water was on for 3 days but it only soaked the ground for 1 day. It took 2 days before the pressure built up in my water hose enough for it to burst.

Either way, when I get my water bill I'm going to cry. The good thing is, the water was on for 3 days but it only soaked the ground for 1 day. It took 2 days before the pressure built up in my water hose enough for it to burst.

I've never even bothered actually watering a lawn. If it can't grow in the natural conditions, then it won't grow.

I've never even bothered actually watering a lawn. If it can't grow in the natural conditions, then it won't grow.

If I don't water my lawn, I'll be drawn and quartered by my neighbors. ;) Everyone around here tries to keep a green lawn, so I do my best to keep up. I don't water much, and to be honest the day I left the water running I had actually been watering my wife's plants on the porch since they don't get any rain water. But I wound up talking to my buddy next door and forgot all about turning it off. :rolleyes:

If I don't water my lawn, I'll be drawn and quartered by my neighbors. ;) Everyone around here tries to keep a green lawn, so I do my best to keep up.

Yea, the whole "American Dream" thing, which includes a perfect lawn. That doesn't suprise me at all considering I'm out in the suburbs right now too. I can't stand suburban life to be honest with you. I like Covington and the surrounding area, but this just doesn't cut it. Maybe when I'm older, but I was born and bred in one of the most urban settings in one of the most urban city's in the country, and the suburbs are just too damn boring! <_<

Yea, the whole "American Dream" thing, which includes a perfect lawn. That doesn't suprise me at all considering I'm out in the suburbs right now too. I can't stand suburban life to be honest with you. I like Covington and the surrounding area, but this just doesn't cut it. Maybe when I'm older, but I was born and bred in one of the most urban settings in one of the most urban city's in the country, and the suburbs are just too damn boring! <_<

It is pretty boring out here. :lol: The only time I get any excitement is when there's a chase on the highway (which has happened a couple of times since I've lived here but is pretty rare) or like yesterday when someone gets pulled over on the side of the highway and suddenly are surrounded by 5 police cars. Other than that, there's not much excitement out this way!!

It is pretty boring out here. :lol: The only time I get any excitement is when there's a chase on the highway (which has happened a couple of times since I've lived here but is pretty rare) or like yesterday when someone gets pulled over on the side of the highway and suddenly are surrounded by 5 police cars. Other than that, there's not much excitement out this way!!

From looking at Haughton on Google Maps, it looks somewhat rural. Is that right?

From looking at Haughton on Google Maps, it looks somewhat rural. Is that right?

Haughton is probably 90% rural still. If you look at it on Google Earth, you'll see for sure. My subdivision just filled up, but there are still a few others that are either ongoing or just getting started. Hopefully in the next decade, Haughton will have grown up quite a bit. I don't want it to be some big, sprawling mess but I would like a few more neighborhoods built together out here. Then, at least, we'd get some more restaurants and stores. Right now there's an area of east Bossier City that is "considered" Haughton, but is actually Bossier City... that area is booming like crazy. The growth is pushing eastward, and eventually, once Bossier Parish finishes this huge water and sewage project they're planning, the entire town of Haughton should build up. The same goes for Princeton, Bellevue, Red Chute, and the other little towns that touch Haughton.

Haughton is probably 90% rural still. If you look at it on Google Earth, you'll see for sure. My subdivision just filled up, but there are still a few others that are either ongoing or just getting started. Hopefully in the next decade, Haughton will have grown up quite a bit. I don't want it to be some big, sprawling mess but I would like a few more neighborhoods built together out here. Then, at least, we'd get some more restaurants and stores. Right now there's an area of east Bossier City that is "considered" Haughton, but is actually Bossier City... that area is booming like crazy. The growth is pushing eastward, and eventually, once Bossier Parish finishes this huge water and sewage project they're planning, the entire town of Haughton should build up. The same goes for Princeton, Bellevue, Red Chute, and the other little towns that touch Haughton.

Interesting. When you first started mentioning Haughton, a city the size of the pre-Katrina Covington, around 10,000 people, popped into my head, but I looked it over a bit on the internet and learned that it was actually quite a bit smaller. Though from your description, it sounds like one of those cities that won't be small for long.

Roofer Dies Following Lightning Strike; 2nd in BR in less than a month

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/3451471.html

^ Check-out the torn ball cap he was wearing.

BR Metro Airport Re-opens after Lightning Hit

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/3449226.html

That lighting strike really backed up travel into BR on Thursday night. It did wonders for the hotels near the airport over in Houston. About 70 people were stuck there having to scramble for a place to stay. I was one of them.

Interesting. When you first started mentioning Haughton, a city the size of the pre-Katrina Covington, around 10,000 people, popped into my head, but I looked it over a bit on the internet and learned that it was actually quite a bit smaller. Though from your description, it sounds like one of those cities that won't be small for long.

Right now it has around 3,000 people. Minden has about 13,000 so it would be more like pre-Katrina Covington. Benton had about 2,000 in the year 2000 but is estimated to have around 3,000 now and growing rapidly. Haughton isn't growing nearly as fast, but it's trying. With the water/sewage expansion coming and the new subdivisions I mentioned, Bossier Parish and Bossier City officials are looking at Haughton to become the next suburban Bossier hotspot.

We had about .75" of rain yesterday afternoon, and around another .35" today, which was nice. Anything over in Baton Rouge, Richy? Or up in SBC, Brian?

Good to see Covington putting a dent in the drought.

We missed out on the rain today. We had light rain on Saturday, just enough to slick the streets for a short time. We had a good downpour Friday evening. It's good to see rainfall falling in different places in the drought-stricken region. Almost everyday somebody is getting some much needed relief.

And we have a 60% of rain on Monday too. :good:

Edited by richyb83

Thanks for posting the weather map Nate. I had been noticing the freakishly HOT temps. too. 107 in Rapid City SD the other day and 120-126 in Death Valley. And unfortunately numerous heat related deaths in California too.

Yea, just like when it gets extremely cold, when it gets this hot, you begin to see many death's across the country due to the heat. :(

The temperature measured as the fire approached was 122. YIKES! I'll take our weather over that anytime of the year.

Wow. No doubt, I'd much rather hve our weather over that. I hope everyone was alright in the NWS office up there.