Baton Rouge Photo of the Day

byrde

Awesome shot off the bridge twistd! The skyline looks dense from that angle and that wasn't even the whole thing. I have always said if BR fils up the gaps of the elongated skyline it would look impressive!

Cool looking foggy sunrise LT! Excellent shot!

Thanks Richy. Ya know as much as I like "tall" I'd be just as happy if we would do some mid-rise buildings much like the height of II City Plaza and the new courthouse thoughout the downtown area. I say fill it up from the river to 110. If you make it look full it would be alot more impressive. I don't really care if we don't have buildings taller than the capital, but if we would put just a few more towers in the 25-30 story range spread throughout downtown it would look really nice. As much as I love Riverplace and what could be on the old Advocate site I don't like the fact we are clustering everything at the river. I do see the desire for that tho. LOL The "skyline" of BR can look good from different angles tho. If you go across the river but go further down by the old bridge, the skyline actually looks pretty full. I saw that on the TV one nite and thought, "wow that is a good angle for the city".

Interesting photo LP.

I have eaten there before, the BuFFFet is quite extensive and not bad. Like the Thai buffet nearby at Ardenwood better.

I read somewhere that when built originally this was a KoKoMo drive in.

The food was good, but the way they spelled it. It's been that way since I was a kid, the placed burned, repaired, but still this section remains untouched.

Thanks for the pics LT. Good see them cleaning the bottom of the Capitol Lake. They say the Nutria are 1/2 to blame for the erosion along the banks. Dudes from the Wildlife & Fisheries(or somebody) has been blowing those poor little suckers out of the water. Looks like that statue of Washington is not far from the Old Arsenal; but I don't remember it either.

Yes, the renovation of the Capitol House/Heidelberg was indeed a turning point for downtown Baton Rouge. I once stayed there shortly before it closed. Most of what I remember about the interior is that it had suffered through some really atrocious renovations over the years. I think our room was painted a dark blue (yeah, the kind of blue you see on plastic swimming pools). The next major piece of the puzzle is to get more residential activity. I hope the proposed residential towers will go through- at least in some fashion. The importance of having residents downtown can't be underestimated. In short, however, the transformation of the formerly moribund downtown area is nothing short of remarkable. Good show guys! Keep the pics coming, by the way.

Awesome collection of words Tom, DTBR is changing every day, we do have residential downtown, but those 2 neighborhoods are historic, it cost alot of money to buy, renovate, and maintain those homes. I have big dreams for downtown, I grew up in a house on East Blvd, still I need, want, and try to encourage young people to do it up downtown.

It's going to take more than the Hilton to get the young bucks. Just today I am standing outside, about 75 feet above the city, 3:15 pm, 100% silence, few cars, BR has too many people to have downtown that is lacking the basics.

Anylikes, BR is home.

Hey Tom always good to see you here in the La.Forums. Your imput is always valued!

Hey LT, are you still planning on moving to Miami or are you going to stay in BR?? I see on another forum you have an impressive list of cities you have lived in before! Seattle seems like a cool urban-place to visit. I have lived in BR all of my life. ^Oh and thanks too LT

Edited by richyb83

Hey Tom always good to see you here in the La.Forums. Your imput is always valued!

Hey LT, are you still planning on moving to Miami or are you going to stay in BR?? I see on another forum you have an impressive list of cities you have lived in before! Seattle seems like a cool urban-place to visit. I have lived in BR all of my life. ^Oh and thanks too LT

The plan was to be there by late Sept early Oct, but the work situation changed everything, right now I'm planning to go in Jan.

Hey guys I found this pic on the net last nite. I thought it was a good shot. From this angle the city looks kind of nice. I think from this angle once II City Plaza and the Courthouse is finished it will look quite bulky in that area. Also, can someone send me a link to the site where I can post my pics on here, I seem to have lost the last one I had. LOL

post-18298-1195613687_thumb.jpg

I like that view!! Almost looks like thats from atop the west upper deck at Tiger Stadium. BR's skyline needs all the help it can get; and this angle is not doing the skyline any favors bec. the city's 4th tallest Chase (North) is hiding directly behind Chase Tower (South) the 3rd Tallest :shades: If the Chase North Tower was actually visible it would be a nice improvement.

No doubt II City Plaza & new Courthouse will add some density/bulk to the southern CBD. I saw last Friday Night II City Plaza has two tower cranes already set up (for parking deck; and for office tower). Looks further along than the new Courthouse that actually started just before it did.

This is what I use :thumbsup:

http://www.imageshack.us/

Edited by richyb83