Baton Rouge Photo of the Day

byrde

happy new year!

awesome pic bryde! The Shaw Center looks great wedged in between the Hilton and Old State Capitol. Something needs to be done to the govermental building, atleast pressure wash it LOL. Oh, and both those cranes belong to the courthouse site richy, they have them positioned on either side of the site. I know they had some delays, but it dosnt look like they have done much to the site.

That bridge used to have thousands of those fluer de lis on the rail. Everyone who drove by stole them. They were all gone within a year. You can buy them in antique stores all over Louisiana.

When the aluminum plant opened, the entire bridge actually changed to a rust color...so the state decided to paint it that reddish-rusty color that it is now to hide the stains.

I doubt that it will be used in the new loop though, as the sister bridge in Metarie has turned into a disaster for construction and engineering firms that are trying to widen it.

LOL! Great minds do think a like Richy!

I went down to check out the Nina and that is a small ship. I never really thought about the size of the ships Columbus and he crew sailed across the Atlantic on. Ain't no way I'd want to cross the ocean in a boat that small.

237311029-M.jpg

Can you imagine the guts it must have taken to take such a small boat into the unknown?

No weather equipment, no GPS, no engines....just a compass and a crew. Columbus must have been one helluva guy.

Say Bryde, you are on a roll!!! That's the best shot I have ever seen of One American Place! The sun angle gives it a different looking glow :shades: The steeple at St.Joesph's Cathedral looks cool sticking out like that, you even got some barges too.

Edited by richyb83

Say Bryde, you are on a roll!!! That's the best shot I have ever seen of One American Place! The sun angle gives it a different looking glow :shades: The steeple at St.Joesph's Cathedral looks cool sticking out like that, you even got some barges too.

I had a few good days during the holidays. I have a few more to post before I hit the streets for some additional shots. I want to get over to the Rowe and get some shots over there as well.

Hey southeastBR, THANKS for the updated crane pics! Just what a crane addict like me needed to see!lol I like that the new Courthouse and II City Plaza will be so close in proximity to each other. I only wish the office tower of II City Plaza would have been above the parking garage.

Funny thing is about II City Plaza is they can't seem to get the number of floors straightened out?? DDD Director Davis Rhorer was quoted in the newspaper New Year's Day saying it would be 13-floors. What's up with that??

I still think the Fourth Street corridor is screaming for a signature/landmark mixed-use tower a little further north; somewhere between Chase Towers and One American Place.

Look forward to seeing some more pics Bryde!

Edited by richyb83

I had a few good days during the holidays. I have a few more to post before I hit the streets for some additional shots. I want to get over to the Rowe and get some shots over there as well.

Bryde, were you at Perkins Rowe today (Saturday)? I saw a guy walking around with a camera taking pics. My partner made the comment that that might be one of my friends from urban planet. LOL

No kiddin ! You have an impressive zoom lense on the camera! I am thankful Camm Morton had enough vision and guts to restore the historic hotel! It is a key componet in downtown's transformation! And a nice compliment to the Shaw Center. Like the II City Plaza crane behind it. :thumbsup:

LSU RULES!!!!!!!!!

Here's one with the cranes, about 8:15 in the morning. All we need is more residential, get a Wal-Mart neighborhood market, a CVS,or Walgreens downtown, and let them come! Make downtown economically viable for residents, and then you have the formula for success.

2179578122_8a9f84e4a8_b.jpg

LSU RULES!!!!!!!!!

Edited by southeastBR

WOW YALL! Where do I begin??? The BR Photo Thread is on another level these days thanks to yall! Yall need to post these on Louisiana, South Photo's,etc! I'll just leave my old photos in the vault for future use.

Fantastic shot of the skyline sebr! Great angle too! I think hopefully downtown will see Walgreens/Grocery-type establishment with the added residential projects coming on board. It can't happen fast enough!

I can't figure out WHY the cranes for the new Courthouse are so much taller than II City Plaza cranes?? :dontknow: when both buildings will be roughly the same height??

Can't beat that LSU National Championship Banner :yahoo: Bryde, that's a classic night-time shot of the Capitol with the lamp post to the side.

Excellent picture bryde!!!! There is nothing like the Capital Building lit up at nite, it is absolutely spectacular.

I took several pics of the Capitol that night because I didn't think I'd like the one with the light post. After I got them home, the light post was the best one. It kinda gives it an "artsy" feel to it.

It would have been cool if those in charge of lighting the Capitol Building would have place yellow filter on the bulbs on the ground and then put a purple one on top.

I took several pics of the Capitol that night because I didn't think I'd like the one with the light post. After I got them home, the light post was the best one. It kinda gives it an "artsy" feel to it.

It would have been cool if those in charge of lighting the Capitol Building would have place yellow filter on the bulbs on the ground and then put a purple one on top.

Yeah I've always said I wished they would change the colors on the building with the seasons or holidays, kind of like the Shaw building on Essen does. I think it would add an interesting touch.