Lynx Blue Line (South Corridor)

monsoon

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad to see that there will be two free days to kick off the line (better than nothing), and I realize that they want to start making money asap,

BUT - if the long term goal is to transition people into a new model of living/commuting, I would make the first week - if not the first month - free to introduce people to the light rail.

2 days (a weekend, good for families... I'll be there with all my kids) does nothing to show people how they can replace their car commute to work during the week.

Yes, some people will try it out during the week for work, but I think many many more would too if they could try it out for free that first week.

I think I agree with that other poster, they're random, bizarre and quirky, and pretty damn cool.

They do appear to be arranged in such a way to be practical with overlapping edges, though rain could still fall from one surface to a lower one provided there is not a raised lip. Or perhaps there is not only a raised lip but also a drain hole in the middle of each canopy piece which filters down through the poles.

Regarding costs, I suspect that these may actually have been cheaper than a "normal" canopy. It looks like they're made of plastic, as opposed to the metal and plexiglass that usually constitute train station canopies. I don't know how much money was spent in design, but surely it wasn't much on such a small and simple project. In comparison to the amount of materials and design that went into the other canopies, this should (and I don't know without the numbers in front of me) have been at least as cost-efficient.

I think they look great. They're different. They most def. have lighting in the tops...you could see it when they were on their sides before installation. I'm glad art isn't by popular vote or public opinion. Nothing would ever get installed because everyone is always a critic.

Regarding costs, I suspect that these may actually have been cheaper than a "normal" canopy. It looks like they're made of plastic, as opposed to the metal and plexiglass that usually constitute train station canopies. I don't know how much money was spent in design, but surely it wasn't much on such a small and simple project. In comparison to the amount of materials and design that went into the other canopies, this should (and I don't know without the numbers in front of me) have been at least as cost-efficient.

I'm not positive, but I believe that I read that the corporations covered not only the Trade Street canopy but also the 3rd Street one. I could be wrong, but frankly, if it is public art paid for by private sources, then it just is what it is.

I'm personally much more forgiving of public art. I am not sure I personally love it, but I know that all this kind of art helps to create conversations, memories, observations, a sense of place, and most of the imaginative pieces end up being considered affectionately after time. Really guys, maybe you or another artist could have done something different, but then others might not like it. The only things that can be universally accepted are standard functional design, why can't we take a couple of risks and see how it turns out.

I did think they should have put random Tober-moustaches furry things in random spots. But that would be the triple threat for people who hate Tober, hate moustaches, and hate transit art. ;)

As you know the light rail system open Nov 24, 2007

The website for the new system is really nice. I wonder how the ticket system will work as it's a lot like a heavy rail ticket system, with the exception there is nothing blocking you from entering the stations. But, that's the difference between many light rail and heavy rail stations.

Official site to CATS Lynx system

http://www.charmeck.org/departments/cats/lynx/home.htm

See how the LYNX Ticket Vending Machine works

http://ww.charmeck.org/cats/flash/index.htm

Image of regional CATS bus park and ride stations

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CATS/A...ed+Projects.htm

Yeah, kinda dissapointing. This will really only be a problem for those that visit or dont use the line very often though. The buses dont take cards either. The people who use the Blue line daily will most likely have monthly passes, and those who use it a couple times a week will get used to it. I do hope this problem gets fixed sooner rather then later though.

They're still paving some of the parking lots and installing lighting. I suppose the line will open on time but they're cutting it close.

I wonder if CATS has done any trolley/train combatability testing lately. It looked like the trolleys had been parked outside this morning.

Archived