Lynx Blue Line (South Corridor)

monsoon

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The trains stop running in Tokyo at 1am despite the fact the clubs there don't close until 5 or 6 am, if at all. People learn to get on them by then, or stay in a capsule hotel, or if you have to, pay an outrageous rate to get onto a cab. (the music is the departure melody of each train line)

So today I ventured up to Reids to buy some steaks because I am entertaining a dozen or so people tommorrow night. I decided before I went in that I would test the weather resistance of the LRT stations. I was pleasantly suprised, as I was able to stay completely dry, even during the times it was raining harder. It is actually pretty interesting, as this was my first time approaching a station for such a close examination, the coverings are really much larger than they look from the road. I must admit I was skeptical of their ability to protect riders from rain, but I must admit my suspicions were proven incorrect.

I think someone above asked about what was going to be used for the Trade St. Station to present a see-thru style while still implementing safety of boarding passengers. On the LYNX website, it reveals a material called ETEF will be used, a hard, translucent plastic that is a new concept apparently and being used in the new National Stadium and Aquatics Center for the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

The Doug Smith "Next Big Thing" feature for Wednesday is up on charlotte.com and reports on the redevelopment of the former asphalt plant across the tracks from where Poindexter tees into South Boulevard. Redevelopment has long been in the works for that parcel, but this article gives more details than I had heard up to now.

I had wondered what would happen with the old silos; nice to see they will be incorporated as art. According to the article, the art on the side of the silos will be visible from the LRT.

Doug didn't mention a project website and the citiline site didn't have it up on the projects page, so I guess we'll have to wait a little longer for more details.

I just did. I did say the accidents where caused by badly designed crossings that increased the likelyhood of inattentive drivers causing an accident. This is the case in Houston, and I believe it to be the case with the Scaleybark station. Train and road crossings are always dangerous and why CATS felt that it was OK to put 5 of them at one station really boggles the mind given the experience that we have in Houston.

Sorry if it has been covered, but I for see alot of people just riding the trains for free with the current system of ticketing. Any ideas as to how they are going to enforce it?

It has been covered but CATS will have random ticket checks on the trains, if you don't have your ticket then expect a $50 fine.

Is that because you prefer the $1 coin to paper currency? This system likely returns $1 change in coin form, so if you only have a $20 and plan to buy a 1-way ticket, be prepared to be lugging around a lot of weight in your pocket. I see this happen all the time in Boston, and its priceless to watch visitors faces as the machine spits out 18 $1 coins.

Is that because you prefer the $1 coin to paper currency? This system likely returns $1 change in coin form, so if you only have a $20 and plan to buy a 1-way ticket, be prepared to be lugging around a lot of weight in your pocket. I see this happen all the time in Boston, and its priceless to watch visitors faces as the machine spits out 18 $1 coins.

Americans need to join the rest of the modern world by retiring the $1 paper bill Given it's worth these days, it should be a coin. In Japan the equivalent, 100 yen is a coin and in Britian, same for the 1 pound coin, and they are widely used because all vending machines there take them. The reason the $1 coin isn't use here, IMO, is simply because vending machines don't take them. This is why I am glad to see CATS be progressive enough to add it to their ticket machines.

Coins are much easier to use in machines than bill changers. I would even be for getting rid of the $5 note and replacing it with a coin.

Archived