Lynx Blue Line (South Corridor)

monsoon

The answer to the question at point here is that the tickets are based on the honor system. You could, in theory, walk on and get off without ever paying for a ticket, but there will be random officer patrols to check your ticket so if you're caught without one you will get a stiff fine (not sure how much though).

I'm hoping that as the system evolves there will be a fare-free zone like in Portland. Obviously this is a ways off for Charlotte.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The answer to the question at point here is that the tickets are based on the honor system. You could, in theory, walk on and get off without ever paying for a ticket, but there will be random officer patrols to check your ticket so if you're caught without one you will get a stiff fine (not sure how much though).

I'm hoping that as the system evolves there will be a fare-free zone like in Portland. Obviously this is a ways off for Charlotte.

It's exciting to know that another Southern metro will soon have rapid rail public transit.

Today Southern cities with rapid rail transit are:

Baltimore -heavy rail, commuter rail and future light rail

Washington -heavy rail, commuter rail and future light rail in Anacostia

Charlotte -light rail, historic trolley

Atlanta -heavy rail

Miami - heavy rail, people mover and commuter rail

Tampa -historic trolley TECO Line Streetcar System

Jacksonville -people mover

Memphis - historic trolley

New Orleans -historic trolley

Nashville- commuter rail

Dallas/Ft Worth -light rail and commuter rail

Houston -light rail

Little Rock -historic trolley

Minimum of $50.00.

I didn't know if this was already mention, and also if this belongs in this thread or the 2030, but I read that Gold Rush will stop it's service to S.End because of the LRT (which was anticipated already), but the bigger news to me was that there will be a trial 1st Ward route instead. Applogize if this was already mentioned, I didn't see anything on it. Looks like it will help serve the trolley route into center city.

http://www.charlottecentercity.org/files/p...FTOKEN=63598837

That must have been a horendous experience for the train operator since they are right there on the front of the train...knowing there was nothing else they could do but just sit there and watch the train run over the guy. My thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and family of the guy that got run over.

Now, how do we prevent the trains from running over people that chose to sit on the tracks?

I am not sure exactly where this guy was hit...the Police Report should be available in a couple days so we will know the exact location...but I notice at all the stations and some intersections they have put up cameras. Perhaps they need to look at installing more cameras along the line so that if people are sitting on the tracks the train operators could be alerted in advance so they could stop the train before hitting the people on the tracks...whether they are passed out drunk...or somehow got their foot stuck in the track.

When there is a collision involving a train and a person or vehicle, there is one key question to ask at the beginning.

Did the train derail?

If not, then the train was were it was supposed to be- in the right of way, on the tracks, when the incident occurred. Which means the other party in the incident was NOT in the right place. If the man in question had sat on the tracks in the middle of a street grade crossing at 2 AM, and was hit by a car on the street, would we say it was the car driver's fault?

While the train's black box will let us know more, it may also confirm what seems to be the case- that the LYNX line safety equipment (crossing gates, lights) activated properly and that the train operator was following safety protocols (blowing the horn approaching a crossing) and that emergency braking and horn-blowing occurred.

The man sat on the tracks of a high-frequency active rail line in the dark. This may have been "suicide-by-train" by a troubled individual rather than an accident involving a train. It happens in other cities, and there is little that can be done to prevent it. My heart goes out to the family of the deceased and the engineer driving the train.

While I doubt that this accident was preventable on CATS' end (the man hit was most likely incapacitated or suicidal, though we must wait to find out), it did bring to mind the possibility that he could have simply not heard the train coming. It seems that joggers almost universally listen to Ipods while running nowadays, and I can absolutely imagine the possibility that he could have simply sat down for a break or to tie his shoe with loud music blasting, and not seen or heard the train coming. Perhaps we should consider retrofitting the rails with visual indicators of when a train is approaching, such as lights that flash when it's 30 seconds away... something like the crosswalk flashers at a handful of intersections in the city. Just a thought.

I'm excited for you guys as well. I have been watching the construction photos and discussion from afar and think it's fantastic what you guys are getting. Can't wait to see photos and video from actual rides on the system. I imagine there is a Grand Opening/Ribbon Cutting planned?

I'm excited for you guys as well. I have been watching the construction photos and discussion from afar and think it's fantastic what you guys are getting. Can't wait to see photos and video from actual rides on the system. I imagine there is a Grand Opening/Ribbon Cutting planned?

I don't believe I've heard mention of a formal ribbon cutting persay but there will be events for the opening of the line that were mentioned several pages ago in this thread.

It is amazing watching the Archdale Station come together. Everytime I look out my window, it seems there is a train either approaching or exiting the station. the sound of the trains approaching and exiting also are really pleasant and surprisingly relaxing. The bus drop off is almost complete with street/ traffic lights installed. Most of the concrete foundation is complete.

I am a bit curious as to what they are installing near the elevator... It is just to the left of the stairwell... seems to be a cylinder of concrete with bench-like things jutting out around it... does anyone know what this is the base for? i couldn't find any info on it.

I look forward to ditching my car a lot, most of the time I hang out in SouthEnd and it will be amazing to have this lifestyle available in Charlotte.

I don't know if its been mentioned or not, but when I was driving down 77 south yesterday I saw a sign at Exit 6 for Lynx park and ride. It would surprise me if there are a lot of people driving south on 77 that are looking for a park and ride station for the light rail, but you never know :P .

I don't know if its been mentioned or not, but when I was driving down 77 south yesterday I saw a sign at Exit 6 for Lynx park and ride. It would surprise me if there are a lot of people driving south on 77 that are looking for a park and ride station for the light rail, but you never know :P .

^ well, i was @ the panthers game this past sunday... and they played a number of lynx ads - touting that you could park @ the stations and ride the train in on game days. so, people that would want to do this could easily be coming from the north - passing uptown to park and ride at one of the stations... just a thought.

^ Or it could be that they live one exit north of the station and are traveling backward to the park&ride. Not the best commute strategy under normal circumstances, but on days when 77N is gridlocked it would be considerably faster and less stressful.

. the sound of the trains approaching and exiting also are really pleasant and surprisingly relaxing

I forgot to post this. On Sat Night, I went to a Checkers game at Bobcats Arena and they were testing the trains at night as if they were testing for events at the game/arena, running the 2 trains together and in the high pedestrian traffic before and after the game. I will certainly be using the LRT for bobcats nad checkers games at the arena- drive down to South End from UC, park and eat at Pikes for free, and then ride the train in for less than it would cost to park at the game for 2 people. Me and my friend were discussing how we had wished this 2 weeks were already here for the game on Sat Night. It made for a great enviornment and the train is only going to help...

I am not sure exactly where this guy was hit...the Police Report should be available in a couple days so we will know the exact location...but I notice at all the stations and some intersections they have put up cameras. Perhaps they need to look at installing more cameras along the line so that if people are sitting on the tracks the train operators could be alerted in advance so they could stop the train before hitting the people on the tracks...whether they are passed out drunk...or somehow got their foot stuck in the track.

Archived