Detroit Clears way for Redevelopment of Book-Cadillac & Fort-Shelby Hotels

Allan

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the developer held thier offical announcemnt yesterday, the Fort Shelby name will be sticking around.

New Fort Shelby to hire 300

Hilton says Doubletree Guest Suites will open in 2008, adding to hotel boom.

Louis Aguilar / The Detroit News

The Fort Shelby Doubletree Guest Suites Detroit is slated to open December 2008, bringing 300 new jobs and marking the return of a full-service Hilton hotel to Detroit after a 33-year absence, Hilton officials announced Tuesday.

The planned 204-room hotel, a renovation of the abandoned Pick-Fort Shelby hotel, is part of a push to turn downtown Detroit into a regional contender in the hotel and convention business.

The Fort Shelby will contribute to nearly 1,900 new hotel rooms expected in Detroit by the end of next year, more than doubling the current number.

A mid-priced Hilton Garden Inn opened in Harmonie Park three years ago. It was the first new hotel to be built downtown since 1986. The Hilton Garden Inn is the chain's mid-priced brand, while the Doubletree Suites are aimed at business travelers and others who plan multi-night stays, offering larger rooms and more amenities and services.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...oit-Renaissance

Thought this thread could use more pics. A great 40 pic set by statlerhotel on construction inside the hotel here's a sample

The entire set http://flickr.com/photos/statlerhotel/sets...57600557326899/

Work from hotel's light court

665023164_51b39e873b_o.jpg

http://flickr.com/photos/statlerhotel/

Rebuilding the penthouse

675525529_5720a177f5_o.jpg

Framed hotel corridor

676503518_5ba2a583d0_o.jpg

Ziggurat with new cooper

676308648_5a918aafc5_o.jpg

The Grand Ballroom

676905110_e480b54493_o.jpg

The Italian Garden

675843783_a4611bad9e_o.jpg

The Lobby

676905278_0525f6e665_o.jpg

It's going to be quite a job to recreate those magnificent rooms. Seeing these projects actually happening is equally remarkable. It's sad to think that the Statler couldn't have joined the other two to form a triumvirate. In any event, I look forward to visiting these hotels again when they will be sporting marble on their floors instead of pigeon droppings. Detroit's downtown is coming back!

I'm not sure...I haven't talked to the developers in a loooong time. They're finally done removing the last of the Commerce Building (that took long enough!), so hopefully we'll see them digging the new foundations soon.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I'm really excited to see how well they do the addition. I bet they're going to do a good job on it.

I couldn't tell from the renderings what they're planning for the Capitol Park side, but on the Washington side, it looks like it will match the rest of the base (I imagine like how the Book Building, annex and tower are).

Wow Detroit has really expensive hotels.We have a room reserved at the MGM Grand and it cost around 400.00 and aas far as I know they are pretty basic of course with some pretty amazing views though. I'm hoping to get a condo with sweeping views.I should have gotten into the WBC!!

Wow Detroit has really expensive hotels.We have a room reserved at the MGM Grand and it cost around 400.00 and aas far as I know they are pretty basic of course with some pretty amazing views though. I'm hoping to get a condo with sweeping views.I should have gotten into the WBC!!

Its getting there, but a majority of the rooms you will find to be well under what you will pay in other cities. For instance, a co-worker told me that he got a river-view room high up in the Ren Cen that included a bottle of wine and parking for something on the order of $120 a night. By all accounts, that is a freakin bargain.

The $400/night is interesting though. Perhaps its good to see. There are a number of things that, to most, seem like downers that I get excited about when I see them in detroit. I like to see traffic jams, higher and higher priced parking and, add this now, higher priced hotels. All signs that there is something to do/see in detroit and all good signs!

Archived