Detroit Clears way for Redevelopment of Book-Cadillac & Fort-Shelby Hotels

Allan

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speak of the devil. I sent a email out to the development group expecting nothing in reply, and they got back to me, this night/day.

Here's what I've been told, thus far, concerning the very raw/tentative plans for the B-C Garage Project.

1. The tentative name is "Griswold ~ Capitol Park" and Roxbury has just gotten into the design and engineering phases of the project. I just don't know how much I can stress how early this still is.

2. The parking garage is to have 10 levels, with only 5 levels of condos stacked atop (3 less than I predicted).

3. The 80 units will all have terraced balconies, and the whole tower-garage is being designed to pay homage to the design of the Book Cadillac across the street.

4. The construction start is tentatively scheduled for Spring 2007 with a move in date of Fall 2008.

I hope for more information over the coming months.

Speak of the devil. I sent a email out to the development group expecting nothing in reply, and they got back to me, this night/day.

Here's what I've been told, thus far, concerning the very raw/tentative plans for the B-C Garage Project.

1. The tentative name is "Griswold ~ Capitol Park" and Roxbury has just gotten into the design and engineering phases of the project. I just don't know how much I can stress how early this still is.

2. The parking garage is to have 10 levels, with only 5 levels of condos stacked atop (3 less than I predicted).

3. The 80 units will all have terraced balconies, and the whole tower-garage is being designed to pay homage to the design of the Book Cadillac across the street.

4. The construction start is tentatively scheduled for Spring 2007 with a move in date of Fall 2008.

I hope for more information over the coming months.

Yes, read "stacked atop" to get 15 floors total.

I got a few additional pieces of information, today, and that's that the structure will stretch the entire frontage of Michigan (i.e. from Shelby to Griswold), so it will most likely be longer than it is tall. I was also told that the main entrance will be on Griswold, as they want to brand Capitol Park as a luxury residential district, and that though they don't have any official say over what the garage portion of this will look like (as it's being developed by the DEGC), from what they've seen it looks more like a building than a garage, and that it's lightly colored to try and match, somewhat, the facade of the B-C.

Sounds interesting, huh?

Yeah, having two groups doing the designs like that will be interesting. That will make it harder for the design to be good, but hopefully they'll do a good job.

Also, I guess this means that they are interested in doing stuff in Capitol park, which is really nice. Capitol park is shady, but it shouldn't be.

Well, I'm sure what they mean is that they hope the B-C and their project can become a catalyst for the revitalization of the park, not that they are going to do any future development around it. They've already done more than their part by having offices in the David Stott (when they could have chosen anywhere else), and then proposing this structure.

Yeah, having two groups doing the designs like that will be interesting. That will make it harder for the design to be good, but hopefully they'll do a good job.

Also, I guess this means that they are interested in doing stuff in Capitol park, which is really nice. Capitol park is shady, but it shouldn't be.

• 4 months later...

Archived