Walmart at Town Center

vdogg

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my letter from this afternoon to the planning dept.

To whom it may concern,

I'm writing this e-mail in regards to a recent news account on WTKR television which stated that there is the potential for a new Walmart at the present F/X Building along Virginia Beach Blvd. As a lifelong resident of the Pembroke area of Virginia Beach I was shocked to hear of such a store locating within such proximity to the Town Center. In my opinion, this would cause a reverse effect concerning direct investment in our city's developing urban core. Such a store would stimulate more strip mall development and not the upscale mixed use development that is currently being constructed. Recent announcements of urban themed development will become a thing of the past. It is my fear that the City's Pembroke area will once again become an economically stagnant cluster of less than glamorous strip malls. I also fear that the Town Center will become suffocated by this neighboring box store and its spill over development.

Virginia Beach residents would be better served by a diverse selection of shopping and cultural opportunities rather than value branded Walmart, which is already saturated in our market. This land can be put to a better use than what is being planned by this retailer. I would much rather see this large tract of land becoming a mixed use of office space, upscale retail, locally owned restaurants and boutiques, and residential complexes all in keeping with the current themes of the Town Center. I understand that this land is privately owned and it is the ultimate decision of that owner as to the outcome of the property. With that said, I hope that the City will do its part to ensure that our Town Center doesn't become a chaotic cluster to uninspired retail which does little to fit in with its surrounding environment. As a supporter of our City Council's public private investment with Armada Hoffler and Divaris Real Estate I expect that the Planning Commission will entertain all opportunities to prevent such a development from occurring.

I appreciate your staff's time and attention to this matter. This is an important issue to me on a personal level and to our city in an economic, cultural, and social level. I speak for many when I say that I am very much against this sort of development in proximity to Town Center and felt compelled to express our concerns and opinions on this subject.

Can anyone confirm if this piece of property would fall under the "by right" development... and that the only thing that the Planning Commission would be determining is if the project proposed to go in the F/X space is consistent with the zoning, not so much as to whether or not they like the concept?

I also heard that the Target deal at Pembroke Mall is not going through. A friend of mine used to work for the management company over there and still speaks with them... so that one is from her.

Another rumour, which I'm trying to confirm is that Sifen, Inc is planning to do something with the Hannaford site. That could be an old rumour, but I'm still trying to follow up on that one.

No Target? Please don't say it is so. I wonder why it is not working out. It would seem to be a great location for them. I am not really wanting a Walmart but as a resident of Pembroke we really do need another retail store othan than the Big Kmart. And can you further elaborate on what kind of company Sifen is?

Can anyone confirm if this piece of property would fall under the "by right" development... and that the only thing that the Planning Commission would be determining is if the project proposed to go in the F/X space is consistent with the zoning, not so much as to whether or not they like the concept?

The zoning code is vague. It seems that the Planning Commission has a lot of wiggle room no matter whether or not they approve the project. But technically, yes, large retail is allowed under the code. However, traffic considerations and density are also mentioned in the code. Considering the zoning code and CBD comp plan, I would imagine if the project is approved it would require Wal-mart to pay for traffic/street improvements and build at least a 2-story structure. If the project is rejected, I'd also expect a lawsuit from Wal-mart and the land owner.

This issue is precisely why a plan that goes into greater detail than the Comprehensive Plan and it's updates is needed for the Pembroke Area. More specific guidelines can be helpful, and nice graphics can be inspiring, but most importantly buy-in from the local residential and business community is crucial, especially if a new special zoning district is to be created, establishing at least some consensus if not the force of law behind desired guidelines. By right development usually does not exclude lower densities than the ideal. The marketplace tends to go for the highest use, if not always the best use.

I don't know how the Pembroke area residents would feel about Wal-Mart, but I do know that I can usually find many items that I am looking for at a reasonable price there. I just had the experience of replacing my computer keyboard (failed on a modest priced Dell system). I looked for my relacement at the two electronics big-boxes at Pembroke. All they had were premium devices that could be programmed to do a zillion things that I never wanted to do, or they were wireless, or both. You guessed it. WalMart had a product for under $10 that worked just fine.

If memory serves me correctly Sifen is a company who actually owns a lot of land in the lynnhaven and greenbriar areas (office parks) as well as a few mini storage facilities.

So if the so-called old rumors are still alive we can assume a couple 5-10 story office buildings with a parking garage at Hannaford?

So if the so-called old rumors are still alive we can assume a couple 5-10 story office buildings with a parking garage at Hannaford?

I don't know about that. Lynnhaven has suburban office parks so it would seem to me that suburban development is this companies specialty, though I guess they could branch out if the wanted to.

I don't know about that. Lynnhaven has suburban office parks so it would seem to me that suburban development is this companies specialty, though I guess they could brance out if the wanted to.

It still would be an office park: two office buildings detached from their surroundings with no sidewalk retail but with a parking structure to pack in more office space, and therefore, more rent money. I know I'll get hammered for this from any Peninsula people, but this would be like City Center's Fountain Plaza I-III office buildings.

Who is Sifen?
Sorry, work has been kicking my butt this week. Sifen is a local development company that has been building a lot of mini-storage (vdogg is correct) locally and up in Richmond. They've got a building of some kind going up next to the BB&T at Kempsville/Indian River, but I don't think it's mini-storage. I also saw a jobsite sign over by Mr. Greenjeans on S. Lynnhaven Rd near that Walmart, but I don't know what is going there either. I still haven't been able to get confirmation on anything, but the rumour was regarding a shopping center-type development... not what you guys are hoping for!!

I'm going to pursue this more next week, and I'll let you know what I find out!!

"Thus was born the dubious deal to subsidize Armada/Hoffler's Town Center project."

I'm not sure what kind of doubt town center is putting in this reporters head, but so far it has done nothing but prosper.

a council-hired consultant studied the area and determined it's most pressing need was a (GUESS WHAT)? A BIG BOX retailer.

I guess that is the price we'll have to pay for trying to build a high class urban core in a low income area.

bleh! :cry:

look on the bright side, at least it won't be on the old HQ site and won't look like your average Walmart. It could be worse.

"And that may be why no one is saying anything about the new 'urban style' Wal-Mart'. The council incumbents would rather remain quiet about the fact the council originally 'goofed' in blocking the same development now being sought. That would make the council look stupid and they wouldn't want that to happen, would they?

Officials in Planning and Zoning each kept referring information requests to various other people, none of whom could be reached. But Maxwell said Planning Director Bob Scott knew all about the project.

Bob Copeland, owner of the property, said that "I have not signed or acknowledged an offer from Wal-Mart of anyone else." He did admit that Wal-Mart, Target, and Lowe's have expressed an interest. " (cut from the article)

Reading this is like listening to Bush and Company say they have no plans on attacking Iran.

Well, at least it will be an urban style store. The Walmart on Lynnhaven (non Super one) was recently remodeled and with its wooden floors and fresh updates it does remind me of a Target. Personally, I would much rather have Target come than Wal Mart but who knows, Target may still be looking for a location close by. The down side of that article though states CityView is still another 12-18 mos away. Man, how much longer must we wait? :(

Looking at the article though it can be somewhat confusing. The article states Walmart has probably spent $45k in site plans and engineering studies yet the owner of the property states "I have not signed or acknowledged an offer from Wal-Mart of anyone else." He did admit that Wal-Mart, Target, and Lowe's have expressed an interest. Things that make ya go hmmm.

Archived