UNC-Charlotte Construction

unccmyway

5 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Having the conference and meeting space will be huge for the University.  Will also open up more options for out of town visitors on game days, graduations, and helps connect UNCC's Uptown building.  Looks like it will have a direct connection to the light rail ped-bridge which is pretty cool!  It looks a little hospital-y to me...but the amount of brick doesn't surprise me bc that's UNCC's MO and that look will be seamless with the rest of the campus.  Overall, I think that full-service Marriot being right on campus/light rail is a great addition!

It does look like a hospital (but I don't hate it).

• 2 weeks later...

Do any of you guys that are in 'the know' think that On-Campus student population will expand any in the next 5/10 years?  Just curious because UNCC is largely a commuter school and I'm not sure if it will ever match/surpass NC State or UNC On Campus residential populations.  

Seems like it'd be difficult because of the glut of off campus private apartment complexes nearby.  

1 hour ago, Cadi40 said:

I’m not in the know but I think students enjoy the ideology of living off campus where they have less regulations & more freedom. 

I dont know specific numbers for uncc but the trend is definitely for students to live off campus after their freshman year. Private developers have built a huge volume of student apartment complexes with their own fancy private pools, gyms, "free" high speed internet and laundry, etc. You can see it at usc, Clemson, coastal, Wilmington, app, uncg, chapel hill, nc state and pretty much any other major university in the southeast or the west.

I can attest for usc specifically, there are only 6k out of 30k undergrads living on campus. That number will soon be passed  by students living in private/university partnership apartments in a few years when new projects are completed. Those are all built in the last ten years. I wouldn't be surprised if uncc does something similar. The students technically live on campus property but the building is co-owned by a private developer.

• Like 2

It's tricky. There are mountains of data that show that living on campus dramatically improves academic performance. Around UNCC in particular, the off-campus complexes also seem to be plagued by higher crime levels than normal. 

Here's my soap box: Private development on campus land, I believe, is a really bad long term move for taxpayers. It gets housing onto campuses more cheaply, but at a tax payer cost that will be born out in 15-20 years. The crap developers build for student apartments starts crumbling after a shockingly short time, and the state will get stuck with these disposable projects. When the state itself builds the work, it's more expensive up front but it will last for many decades.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tozmervo said:

It's tricky. There are mountains of data that show that living on campus dramatically improves academic performance. Around UNCC in particular, the off-campus complexes also seem to be plagued by higher crime levels than normal. 

Here's my soap box: Private development on campus land, I believe, is a really bad long term move for taxpayers. It gets housing onto campuses more cheaply, but at a tax payer cost that will be born out in 15-20 years. The crap developers build for student apartments starts crumbling after a shockingly short time, and the state will get stuck with these disposable projects. When the state itself builds the work, it's more expensive up front but it will last for many decades.

For the fully privately funded complexes, I agree with you. But for the co-funded ones, I think the standards are a lot higher and they shoot for the long term. At USC, after a certain number of years, they're going to be considered completely university property. 

Universities are already tearing down many 40-60 yr old buildings in favor of more modern ones. So is it so bad for them to only be built to last 40 years? It may sound crazy but if the economic value is there and they don't have major issues other than aging more quickly, then why not?

And living on campus absolutely means better grades. It's a lot easier to justify partying in your large off campus apartment.

Edited by Nick2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nick2 said:

For the fully privately funded complexes, I agree with you. But for the co-funded ones, I think the standards are a lot higher and they shoot for the long term. At USC, after a certain number of years, they're going to be considered completely university property. 

Universities are already tearing down many 40-60 yr old buildings in favor of more modern ones. So is it so bad for them to only be built to last 40 years? It may sound crazy but if the economic value is there and they don't have major issues other than aging more quickly, then why not?

And living on campus absolutely means better grades. It's a lot easier to justify partying in your large off campus apartment.

When tax payer money is used on construction, it is reviewed by and held to State Construction Office standards. When taxpayer money is not used, the developer is only held to building code and is typically reviewed by local building inspectors. USC is going to get stuck taking ownership of buildings when their lifespan is coming to an end, and I doubt they're built to a standard that future proofs/permits renovation.

And 40 years is not realistic. I wasn't exaggerating when I said 15-20 year life span at best. You can see it in the private apartments in South End and the University area that have already had major construction problems. Cheapest construction, cheapest finishes, cheapest mechanical systems, cheapest acoustics, cheapest everything. 

Recent campus tear-downs are most frequently late 50s to 60s era construction. Unfortunately the style at the time has proven to be righteously expensive to renovate, though the bones of the buildings are usually in good shape (also, you know, asbestos.)  UNCC renovated two of their 60s towers, but the other two will be torn down.  

49 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

When tax payer money is used on construction, it is reviewed by and held to State Construction Office standards. When taxpayer money is not used, the developer is only held to building code and is typically reviewed by local building inspectors. USC is going to get stuck taking ownership of buildings when their lifespan is coming to an end, and I doubt they're built to a standard that future proofs/permits renovation.

And 40 years is not realistic. I wasn't exaggerating when I said 15-20 year life span at best. You can see it in the private apartments in South End and the University area that have already had major construction problems. Cheapest construction, cheapest finishes, cheapest mechanical systems, cheapest acoustics, cheapest everything. 

Recent campus tear-downs are most frequently late 50s to 60s era construction. Unfortunately the style at the time has proven to be righteously expensive to renovate, though the bones of the buildings are usually in good shape (also, you know, asbestos.)  UNCC renovated two of their 60s towers, but the other two will be torn down.  

I'm not sure if taxpayer money was used in the actual construction in USC's case but I might read up on the specifics here because it seems interesting with the details and regulations of how this goes down.

15-20 years just seems really short to me. But I'm definitely not an expert. I mean, my crappy treehouse built 20 years ago is still standing and fairly sturdy with no leaks haha.

It does seem as though they're looking more short term than long term with these type of projects though for sure.

• 1 month later...
Just now, Hushpuppy321 said:

I thought UNCC were going to renovate those High Rise Dorms?  Updating systems and added Brick Veneer?

They did the other 2 high rises but it was so expensive they decided to take down these too I just don't remember when.  It is cheaper for the state to tear them down then renovate them.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

This is more UNCC destruction not construction but  when are these two residence halls I think Moore and Sanford coming down?  It is after the first semester or next summer.  Helped my nephew move in today at Levine Hall. 

IMG_2431.JPG

Mazel tov! Congratulations to your nephew, KJ!  They accept only the VERY BEST and BRIGHTEST as Levine Scholars! 

Image result for image for congratulations on receiving school scholarship

ABOUT THE LEVINE SCHOLARS PROGRAM

"The Levine Scholars Program takes the brightest, most capable students and gives them the tools, resources and environment they need to explore the world around them, engage deeply in their communities and excel across discipline. The four-year scholarship includes full tuition, room, board, a grant to implement a service project of the Scholar’s own design, and four summers of experiences that will develop leadership skills, social awareness and an international perspective. The total value of this four-year package is estimated at $105,000 for in-state students and $155,000 for out-of-state students."

"The Scholars value the benefits of the rigorous academic programs at UNC Charlotte, the state’s only urban research university noted for its innovative interdisciplinary programs and opportunities for student research. To complement classroom learning, Levine Scholars participate in rich and varied opportunities in the vibrant commercial and cultural center of Charlotte, North Carolina, the state’s largest metropolitan region."

"Civic engagement is at the core of the Levine Scholars Program. Through a commitment to ongoing volunteerism, internships with local nonprofits, grant projects with community partners, and customized curricula, Levine Scholars graduate fully prepared to begin their next chapter as versatile intellects, thoughtful leaders, and compassionate humanitarians."

Link;       https://levinescholars.uncc.edu/about  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Wow - I understand.  I'm guessing they'll build new dorms to replace these.  Anyone know how the residential (on campus) enrollment growth has been?  UNCC largely a commuter school.

Ok so this is a common misconception about UNCC, i am a current student there and last year was roomates with an RA. The RAs are told a lot more than thr normal student and that info was passed on to me. There is actually not enough housing on campus for everyone and there is a waiting list every fall for students who want in in the spring. Most students live on campus or just off campus in one one the many housing complexes or neighborhoods surrounding the campus. I dont really consider those who live directly off campus to be commuters so i don't really think we are a commuter school at present but cannot speak on the past

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My older brother went to UNC Charlotte in early 1980s and graduated.  It was more of a commuter school then.  It is now not.  As the university has grown and there 1000s of student apartment complexes surrounding the campus now.  My nephew's suite mates are from all over NC Wilmington, Raleigh etc.  They are really showcasing the LYNX light rail and how students can explore the city as a whole not to mention internships.  As most of the UNCC alumni live in this area I am expecting my nephew to get a job here in the metro and especially if he sticks with Business Analytics.  You have to remember Charlotte as the largest city in the Carolinas attracts students who do want to go to a big city and with the LYNXage via light rail this makes this university even more possible.

KJ MBA, UNC Charlotte class of 96

• Like 4

The new athletics director, Mike Hill, will make the university relavant in sports again too. The guy is such a huge promoter of not only the university, but the city as well. Even if you're not an alumn from this school, being successful in sports and rallying behind the hometown team is important. It's a very powerful marketing tool for both the university and city. This is a construction thread, hope we can post about stadium expansion in the near future. 

*Before Uncc was uncc, it was a two year junior college called Charlotte College. It's an old stigma that people still think it's still a commuter school. Which brings up another point, why does the word 'commuter school' have a negative connotation (like bus trasportation) to it as if it's not a real university or somehow devalues the experience/education?  If a student lives close/prefers to drive to school or doesn't have the monetary means...not living on campus shouldn't be viewed negatively.  I live in Charlotte but I sometimes drive home to winston on the weekends to visit family. I wouldn't measure weekend vacancy too much as an indicator (I know it can be a sign of things to do, nightlife, parties, etc). Football season is also back too which keeps students on campus. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
Commuter response
  • Like 3

As of about ten years ago I knew that 2/3 of UNCC undergrad students were on campus or campus adjacent apartments and if you think non-students students live in those adjacent apartments you...never mind.  This is one reason snow days there were rare.

I agree with KJ that UNCC is not a commuter school in the traditional sense of the word though the weekends I could be schooled on. What percentage of students disappear after Friday afternoon?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

As of about ten years ago I knew that 2/3 of UNCC undergrad students were on campus or campus adjacent apartments and if you think non-students students live in those adjacent apartments you...never mind.  This is one reason snow days there were rare.

I agree with KJ that UNCC is not a commuter school in the traditional sense of the word though the weekends I could be schooled on. What percentage of students disappear after Friday afternoon?

Depends on what kind of weekend.

On a football/party holiday weekend( st pattys, etc.) probably about 30% leave

Other weekends it seems like 70%> are gone or just doing their own things in their rooms

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Trickbot said:

Depends on what kind of weekend.

On a football/party holiday weekend( st pattys, etc.) probably about 30% leave

Other weekends it seems like 70%> are gone or just doing their own things in their rooms

I agree and this is the first full year with LYNX access for all so times they are a changing.  More students even without cars can attend local events, bike through Dilworth or on the Rail Trail, scrape some money together and go out to eat in the "city".   NoDa from what I have heard has already seen an influx of college students and I think they will spread.  I did my part by giving my nephew a tour of stops.  He knows if he rides down to East/West Blvd lunch at  Superica is on me.  Or many other  places. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I agree and this is the first full year with LYNX access for all so times they are a changing.  More students even without cars can attend local events, bike through Dilworth or on the Rail Trail, scrape some money together and go out to eat in the "city".   NoDa from what I have heard has already seen an influx of college students and I think they will spread.  I did my part by giving my nephew a tour of stops.  He knows if he rides down to East/West Blvd lunch at  Superica is on me.  Or many other  places. 

True, last year I lived in Witherspoon with a good view of the station. Its is heavily used especially on Thurs/Fri/Sat nights when students go to bars and clubs uptown and in other places, by the time new trains would come back there would be another 100+ students waiting to ride

• Like 3

Walked around campus today to see some things. New library spaces are cool and useful as study rooms are at a premium in there. A disappointment though was that the renovated Belk Plaza was not completed yet, it was supposed to be done in July/ early August but is still closed off and no grass has been planted and the fountain is off from peeking through the construction fence. Here is a picture of the oldest item in UNCCs newly reopened rare collection a cuneiform tablet from 2000BC

20180820_145819.jpg

• Like 4