UNC-Charlotte Construction

unccmyway

Here's to the continued sterilization of campus.  It's almost as if they are campaigning to create a forgettable experience.  "Hey, you remember that one really cool brick building that looked like everything around it?" -No one ever

Honestly, I would've preferred a statue garden over this copycat design of a tower.

IMO the courtyard shown is pretty much exactly the same, only they forgot to include all of the future footpaths of dirt in the rendering.

• 3 weeks later...

Guest StuckInASuburb

A new article on a public forum or Belk Plaza was published in the campus paper. They gauged interest in potential design plans for the space. It was also announced a final design will be finalized before April 4th.

http://ninertimes.com/2016/02/community-input-collected-at-first-belk-plaza-forum/

56c38129a3bb9_belksticker.jpg.41ea7f9447

tl;dr: Students want movable seating, temporary art, food trucks, and less bricks.

Edited by StuckInASuburb

When you're a student, you get all excited about what's being planned and then realize that most of it will happen long after you've graduated. I was super excited for 49ers football when it was discussed in the campus paper - in 2000! Glad there is finally a team and the campus is much cooler as a whole than when I was a student. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

The infrastructure referendum passed last night. UNC Charlotte's new science building is now funded. Don't know on when construction will start, but hopefully before 2020.   

Has anyone heard mention of UNC Charlotte occupying Levine's Office Building. I heard from a little bird that he was courting them and there was mutual interest. 

Guest StuckInASuburb
52 minutes ago, AP3 said:

Levine Hall looks good from UCity Blvd. 

You can't really see it in the picture, but they have begun putting the standard brick cladding on the far side of it! 

14 hours ago, StuckInASuburb said:

@AP3 I think we took these pictures simultaneously!

20160317_153829.thumb.jpg.0fe10dbf93a9a4

I drove through on Wednesday (I had a productive day working from home....).  The realignment of Phillips Road is pretty awesome too!  Meant to get a picture, maybe this weekend if I'm up that way.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest StuckInASuburb

Some more news on the Levine dorm hall, the crane has been removed!

Capture5.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Glass I presume has been delivered to the site so we may see some of that being installed soon.

Capture2.PNG

And on the other side of campus, the new extension bridge has been finished and the old Philips road has been ripped up. (I didn't get a picture of the bridge because too many people were walking on it and it seemed a bit weird.)

Capture.PNG

Well that is all the updates I have from my walk around campus earlier. After my next class I will go check up on the light rail station and post it in the appropriate thread.

Edited by StuckInASuburb

On 2/15/2016 at 4:59 PM, 49er said:

Here's Some Pictures I took of the bridge during the disc golf tournament on campus last weekend. Its really nice looking and steps away from the typical industrial looking bridges we have in North Carolina.

Toby Creek Bridge #1.jpg

Toby Creek Bridge #2.jpg

Not sure why I couldn't get rid of the quote box btw. I apologize.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, rancenc said:

The State of NC has released the first $200 million of the recently based bond referendum. It looks that UNCC will be receiving money for a new science building.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/blog/real-estate/2016/06/connect-nc-bond-initiative-north-carolina-raleigh.html

This building is going to end up being constructed where parking, receiving and stores, and the old steam plant are currently located. It will really clean up a trashy part of campus and connect the student health center to the rest of everything. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SentioVenia said:

The school announced a new conceptual plan for Belk Plaza, replacing the area where the Belk Tower once stood:

http://advancement.uncc.edu/newsletter-stories/reimagined-belk-plaza

Hmm, I like the idea of making it a patch of grass in which one could play Ultimate Frisbee. Though I liked the replacement bell tower concept, unoriginal as it may have been. But The important thing will be having gathering space. As long as they put enough trees around the edges of the green.

6 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Hmm, I like the idea of making it a patch of grass in which one could play Ultimate Frisbee. Though I liked the replacement bell tower concept, unoriginal as it may have been. But The important thing will be having gathering space. As long as they put enough trees around the edges of the green.

I actually LOVE this!  IMO, so much better than another clock tower (they already have one nearby).  I am not a graduate so I have no nostalgia but it's much better than the Belk Tower also (though I understand why folks opposed removal).  My oldest is a Junior and two more are on deck for the next two years with two more to follow after that.  My kids should get some enjoyment out of this and it will be far more useful than what was there previously.  Agree completely on the trees.  I think the entire campus is seriously lacking in pine trees (campus looks stark in winter).

11 minutes ago, Niner National said:

I find it nice but unremarkable. I wish they'd renovated the tower and made upgrades to the quad to make it look nicer.

The tower was literally the only iconic structure on campus. It was visible from all over the university area and now there is nothing.

If I was building a new university campus, I'd take this design.  If I was a current or former student, I'd take the renovated tower and upgrades...

I honestly didn't know you could see it from all over the University area...I never noticed it when up there.  It was definitely iconic though, if not attractive...