UCF Knights Football

Chemmie

Im all for the stadium being built, Ive been to many games in the past (you cant beat drunk college girls) its McCulluch road at rushhour nowadays, theres a chevron gas station on the corner near the stadium at 5:30 everyday there is a mile and a half long row of cars down McCulluch it takes 20 minutes to travel 1 mile its insane. They need to widen it to 4 lanes and add a traffic light at Lockwood and McCulluch, where there is a new 5th 3rd bank being built. You know chemmie for the 6th largest school in the nation it sure has some crappy surrounding infastructure. Oh well im moving to Dr. Phillips in march so whatever.

They definitely need a traffic light or roundabout there. I really think a roundabout would work in this situation. I've seen first hand roundabouts fix exactly the same problem elsehwere. What creates the backup is the stopping of cars at the 4 way stop.

If you allow the cars to move freely and not stop, then traffic will be able to move smoothly. The majority of traffice is coming from one direction anyway (McCulloch). So with a roundabout most cars will not even need to yield to other traffice, since there isn't that much traffice coming from the other directions.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

from what it seems like right now

our recruiting largely due to O'leary, the new defensive coaching staff, and especially the new stadium, has been exceptional this year

two top quarter backs, both with different styles, top defensive players, and receivers

the future is looking bright for UCF

what im curious about is the type of traditions that we are "starting" with the new stadium

I keep hearing talk about loads of new traditions, but im just curious as to how that would happen exactly

GO KNIGHTS!

Just read in the paper today we signed a kid position[ath] that is 13 on the sentinel's best players in the state.According to the sentinel the only player we have ever signed higher that that was you guessed it A guy named Daunte.Hope this is a sign of good things to come

They definitely need a traffic light or roundabout there. I really think a roundabout would work in this situation. I've seen first hand roundabouts fix exactly the same problem elsehwere. What creates the backup is the stopping of cars at the 4 way stop.

If you allow the cars to move freely and not stop, then traffic will be able to move smoothly. The majority of traffice is coming from one direction anyway (McCulloch). So with a roundabout most cars will not even need to yield to other traffice, since there isn't that much traffice coming from the other directions.

I don't know how long you've been in Florida, or if you are from the Northeast or not, but...

There is no way in hell we are putting a round-about in Orlando. The morons driving around here wouldn't have the slightest idea what to do once they came upon that thing. We'd have wrecks, people stopping in the middle, people stopping to get in and all kinds of other nonsense. To top it off, being near a college campus with a bunch of stupid kid drivers would be havok.

Round-Abouts don't belong in Florida, nor near college campuses. :shades:

Just read in the paper today we signed a kid position[ath] that is 13 on the sentinel's best players in the state.According to the sentinel the only player we have ever signed higher that that was you guessed it A guy named Daunte.Hope this is a sign of good things to come

Let's wait till Feb. 7th to see if he actually signs and then wait until fall to see if he actually gets on campus.

I'm excited about this kid, but something makes me think it's just too good to be true.

Even without him, though, we have an amazing recruiting class. We'll be making our waves soon.

Tell me more about this recuit.Where is he from not from Florida i take it

His name is Alphonso Bryant. He's from Dade.

As I said, I'm still in "wait and see" mode on him. First he has to actually sign on Feb. 7th, then he has to make grades and actually make it to campus.

I hope he makes it.

There is no way in hell we are putting a round-about in Orlando. The morons driving around here wouldn't have the slightest idea what to do once they came upon that thing.

Last year they built a roundabout on Maitland Summit Blvd. and Pembrook Drive near the Maitland Summit office tower and RDV Sportsplex. It seems people have a pretty clear idea what to do on a roundabout. I've never seen a car just sitting there confused...

You should probably give our city's residents a little more credit when it comes to knowing basic traffic etiquette. :)

Those aren't round-abouts, those are small intersections with an island in the middle. ;)

Well, guess what, people drive through and around them like they are roundabouts.

People learn to adapt to anything. To say that people in Orlando (or anywhere in America) won't be able to figure out what they are doing in Europe (because the roundabouts have been there for centuries) is ridiculous. Take into consideration, also, that you are lumping yourself into that statement you made earlier. It's like merging on I-4 around a curve. Giddyup!

^ They're not at all uncommon in Florida.

There's a huge one in one of the SW Florida sprawlvilles (Sarasota? Ft. Myers? Naples? I can't recall). Just within my sphere of knowledge in Miami/Coral Gables, there's several... Lejeune/Sunset/Cocoplum, Ponce de Leon at Merrick Park, behind UM on San Amaro, small ones all over residential areas, etc. And yes, Hollywood Blvd has huge circles at a few intersections.

I don't know how long you've been in Florida, or if you are from the Northeast or not, but...

There is no way in hell we are putting a round-about in Orlando. The morons driving around here wouldn't have the slightest idea what to do once they came upon that thing. We'd have wrecks, people stopping in the middle, people stopping to get in and all kinds of other nonsense. To top it off, being near a college campus with a bunch of stupid kid drivers would be havok.

Round-Abouts don't belong in Florida, nor near college campuses. :shades:

Let's wait till Feb. 7th to see if he actually signs and then wait until fall to see if he actually gets on campus.

I'm excited about this kid, but something makes me think it's just too good to be true.

Even without him, though, we have an amazing recruiting class. We'll be making our waves soon.

Chemmie...how long have you been in Florida? I've been here all my life, and seen plenty of roundabouts. I'm from Martin County, only an hour and a half south of Orlando. They are everywhere down there, and I've seen them fix traffic backup problems first hand on my street.

I live in Avalon Park now, and there are two major roundabouts less than a mile from my house. Avalon Park is not far from UCF at all. Trust me, Floridians know how to use roundabouts. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure out how to go around one. Maybe you don't see roundabouts where you go on a daily basis, but there are quite a few in Orlando as all these other posters have pointed out. And I think one would work perfectly in this situation.

Consecutive roundabouts in Metrowest:

roundaboutgl4.jpg

Well i do know of one roundabout that people seem to have a problem with and that is the one on Waterford Chase Pkwy, they fixed the brick siding a bunch of times and people just kept running into it. Now they just gave up and we are just left with the concrete base an dno bricks.

A little off-topic, but yesterday was the first time that I've ever felt the need to nuke UCF due to lack of parking. And I've been going there since last fall.

funny, since the new parking garage I haven't had any problem at all with parking....not to mention we have 2-3 more on the way

on another cool note, they have topped off by the convocation center and stadium with trees and they are begging to start the rest of the upper deck on the stadium

I'll get pictures next week for all of you

funny, since the new parking garage I haven't had any problem at all with parking....not to mention we have 2-3 more on the way

on another cool note, they have topped off by the convocation center and stadium with trees and they are begging to start the rest of the upper deck on the stadium

I'll get pictures next week for all of you

I haven't had a problem either. Morning or night, everytime I go there the new parking garage is half empty.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chemmie/

I risked a felony to sneak inside and get a couple pictures.

Brick facades are going up on the outsides of the outside ring of buildings. It looks like the grass is about to get planted, too. Also, the second level of seats is getting started in the northwest end zone. These go up pretty quickly, so I bet we'll see an almost completed outside structure in the next few weeks. I walked inside a couple buildings and they had electricity on, with the lights running.

Archived