City/County Consolidation

thetoolman

Here's the top ten money raisers in the local campaigns. I took this from the Democrat. The thing I find odd/different or whatever is that the guy that wants to be head of schools is ranked 2nd. For some reason I find that disturbing and I'm not really sure why. How do you guys feel about it? Of course I find all the dollars amounts to be too much, but sadly just the way it is these days.

1) Bryan Desloge, $193,931

2) Jackie Pons, $174,503

3) Cliff Thaell, $173,618

4) Will Messer, $164,359

5) John Dailey, $116,238

6) John Marks, $116,094

7) Allan Katz, $115,525

8) Debbie Lightsey, $109,584

9) Bob Rackleff, $95,221

10) Frank Mayernick, $93,232

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this might be a waste of a vote, but I find it hard to vote for him when everyone else is telling me the Wilson woman is more qualified.

I've already changed my mind on the Governor's race from Davis to Smith. But I haven't decided on the local seats yet.

I'm keeping Debbie, The Mayor, and Katz. But I don't know about anything else yet.

TJ to help you out on the local races, try watching Bandwagon 2006 on WFSU Comcast channel 4. It's on every night between now and 9.5....check out WFSU's website for the times they replay it. I found recording it on the "beloved DVR" made it much better and easier to watch. If you have a VCR, you could do the same.

That show really helped me out. Those that talked about improving the City and County relationship got my attention as those that talked about improving the relationship w/FSU and diversifying the economy also got my attention. Those that mentioned the PAC also perked up my ears.

I'm not in District 3, but if I were, I'd vote for John Dailey. His speech and the fact that he's got a MURP, impressed me.

Iris and Jackie are on there too. There's no doubt that Iris knows her stuff.

Here's the top ten money raisers in the local campaigns. I took this from the Democrat. The thing I find odd/different or whatever is that the guy that wants to be head of schools is ranked 2nd. For some reason I find that disturbing and I'm not really sure why. How do you guys feel about it? Of course I find all the dollars amounts to be too much, but sadly just the way it is these days.

2) Jackie Pons, $174,503

4) Will Messer, $164,359

5) John Dailey, $116,238

6) John Marks, $116,094

7) Allan Katz, $115,525

9) Bob Rackleff, $95,221

Just out of curiosity, what part of the money makes you feel so uneasy?

Just out of curiosity, what part of the money makes you feel so uneasy?

Hey, you are askin' me the same type of questions I'd ask you...

Just the amounts is all. I know this day in age w/media etc. etc., but still it seems that those high amounts could be put to better use in the community...like health care for the poor, add the money to an incentive package for Torrey Pines. I know, I know in larger communities they have to raise more and I'm just thinkin' grandiose here, but still it bothers me. I was raised by Depression area parents, so that's made me tight w/my money most the time.

And as for the commercials, I may have to kill the "beloved DVR" since it makes me miss all the bad political commercials.

Hey, you are askin' me the same type of questions I'd ask you...

Just the amounts is all. I know this day in age w/media etc. etc., but still it seems that those high amounts could be put to better use in the community...like health care for the poor, add the money to an incentive package for Torrey Pines. I know, I know in larger communities they have to raise more and I'm just thinkin' grandiose here, but still it bothers me. I was raised by Depression area parents, so that's made me tight w/my money most the time.

And as for the commercials, I may have to kill the "beloved DVR" since it makes me miss all the bad political commercials.

haha no dont kill it. I saw it at work, and I couldnt fast forward through it.

side note: why "beloved DVR" all the time? Something TJ said once? :lol:

haha no dont kill it. I saw it at work, and I couldnt fast forward through it.

side note: why "beloved DVR" all the time? Something TJ said once? :lol:

This coming from the guy who owns the Rolls Royce of DVR's.....the musical TiVo. I thought at least you'd understand my love of it. Nah, sadly I came up w/it b/c "beloved DVR" is just my way of showing my admiration and devotion to "my precious."

"Special Slot" TJ? I wish! Of course it would have to be a waterproof slot. :D

This coming from the guy who owns the Rolls Royce of DVR's.....the musical TiVo. I thought at least you'd understand my love of it. Nah, sadly I came up w/it b/c "beloved DVR" is just my way of showing my admiration and devotion to "my precious."

"Special Slot" TJ? I wish! Of course it would have to be a waterproof slot. :D

no no I very much understand! When I get home, TiVo is one of my best friends!! I just was wondering if the special name had a special meaning lol

2) Jackie Pons, $174,503

4) Will Messer, $164,359

5) John Dailey, $116,238

6) John Marks, $116,094

7) Allan Katz, $115,525

9) Bob Rackleff, $95,221

Well, I'm definitely voting for John Marks and Allan Katz because I like their aggressiveness in moving Tallahassee forward in terms of economic diversity.

^I missed that one.

But you're right. She does seem to have a complex personallity.

I too am unsure about Debbie, what do we know about her opponents as far as growth, economic diversity and them assuring that the local govs get along and also w/the universities?

Much later edit to my post.

Can any of you tell me who is The Citizens for Balanced Growth?

My mailbox is filling up w/flyers for the election. Today I got 3 from this group that list 500 Orchard Pond Road as their address. Two were in favor of Debbie and Bob Rackleff. The other one was against Mayernick. Their flier about him says that he did not register to vote in Leon County until 8.6.05 and then filed to run for office 20 days later. Say it ain't so.....I've got condiments in my frig older than that. :)

I'm having trouble forgiving Bob for his "no" vote on Turborcor and Fallschase, so I STILL am not sure in District 5 what to do. Anyone hear/know how Bob feels about Torrey Pines?

Poonther,

Great question! It pleases me to discuss this particular race because her seat is very critical to the makeup of the City Commission. The way I see it, she's kinda been the "other voice" on the commission since Steve Miesburg lost to John Marks in 2000, and his seat taken over by Mustian. The men on the commission are all pro-growth, Lightsey tends to approach growth with a long stick, beating away at any cobweb that gets in the way. For her to say yes, something has to be nearly perfect, or studied, studied, studied! I think she may be a reason the city spends alot on consultants and studies, although she may never admit to this herself. Truthfully, I like Lightsey, she's the reason I got interested in City Government. Her and Scott Maddox.

Now for the other candidates in the race:

• Anthony "Dr. V" Veigbesie: He addressed my church yesterday along with Miss. Lightsey and Mr. Brian Armstrong. In his address to the Bandwagon program I gathered he is a man with lots of knowledge and experience supporting him. In some way he reminds me of our departed Commissioner Billings, whose seat Alan Katz now occupies. Like Commissioner Billings, Dr. V teaches at local universities. I think he could possibly assist in building a stronger town-gown relationship. Dr V says he opposes the city's use of Coal as a means to produce energy for this community, but he seems serious about economic developer. My mother is personal friends with Dr. V and I can tell you Dr. V is a respectable individual. He came to this county a poor man and took the opportunity to learn seriously and now holds 4 different masters degrees. He's well qualified and I think he could do the job well.

• Mr. Brian Armstrong: also introduced himself to Bethel yesterday and I must say I think he's a fine candidate also just judging from his apperance on the Bandwagon program. He has some strong feelings about the city's role in cleaning up Wakulla Springs which I do admire, with that being a local treasure. However, Mr. Armstrong fails to really address any other issue in enough detail to warrant my believing he's any better than Miss. Lightsey for seat three. A vote for him in my opinion, would mean virtually the same type of direction only in the body of a man and not a Cute, yet fightsy Debbie Lightsey.

I'm having trouble forgiving Bob for his "no" vote on Turborcor and Fallschase, so I STILL am not sure in District 5 what to do. Anyone hear/know how Bob feels about Torrey Pines?

I can tell you now Poonther, Bob is not in favor of any type of serious incentive package for an out-of-town company. He's trying to be Mr. Hero for the local startup business when in reality we don't have any companies in town with the drive to go national or regional at least. Patrick Detscher is my guy for this race and I'll tell you why. Unlike the other candidates for the county commission he's the only one that gives me some type of hope that he has an idea that could generate some jobs for this community and make Tallahassee a leader in energy innovation. He speaks about pioneering some type of re-newable energy source for our electric generation in his opposition to the City's plan for Coal. The reason I like this is because unlike the other candidates in the race, he actually has in mind what he wants to do as an alternative. He wasn't the most charming speech I saw in watching the bandwagon program but he was the most impressive in terms of the content that his message held.

Here's a link to his speech, take a look at his and all of the other candidates and tell us what you think.

I can tell you now Poonther, Bob is not in favor of any type of serious incentive package for an out-of-town company. He's trying to be Mr. Hero for the local startup business when in reality we don't have any companies in town with the drive to go national or regional at least. Patrick Detscher is my guy for this race and I'll tell you why. Unlike the other candidates for the county commission he's the only one that gives me some type of hope that he has an idea that could generate some jobs for this community and make Tallahassee a leader in energy innovation. He speaks about pioneering some type of re-newable energy source for our electric generation in his opposition to the City's plan for Coal. The reason I like this is because unlike the other candidates in the race, he actually has in mind what he wants to do as an alternative. He wasn't the most charming speech I saw in watching the bandwagon program but he was the most impressive in terms of the content that his message held.

Here's a link to his speech, take a look at his and all of the other candidates and tell us what you think.

TJ, only Frank M has a chance at beating Bob. So if you vote for Patrick, you will wind up with Bob and no growth and no incentaivs for Torrey Pines, etc.

TJ, only Frank M has a chance at beating Bob. So if you vote for Patrick, you will wind up with Bob and no growth and no incentaivs for Torrey Pines, etc.

While I agree on the no growth part, I think Torrey Pines will be settled before anyone could replace Bob. Don't they start the position after the 11.7 elections? Has anyone heard Bob make a comment on TP at all? Those of you that sent letters, did you get any feed back from Bob?

I'd like to meet the Frank guy and ask him several questions, one being why do I have mustard in my frig older than your date of voter registration????

TJ I'll look at his speech now. I wasn't all that impressed w/his Bandwagon appearance, he and the other candidate seemed so one note and there's more to the job than that.

While I agree on the no growth part, I think Torrey Pines will be settled before anyone could replace Bob. Don't they start the position after the 11.7 elections? Has anyone heard Bob make a comment on TP at all? Those of you that sent letters, did you get any feed back from Bob?

I'd like to meet the Frank guy and ask him several questions, one being why do I have mustard in my frig older than your date of voter registration????

TJ I'll look at his speech now. I wasn't all that impressed w/his Bandwagon appearance, he and the other candidate seemed so one note and there's more to the job than that.

Why read a speech, it looks like you already judged him.

Why read a speech, it looks like you already judged him.

??? :rolleyes:

We are talking about Patrick D.'s speech here, not Frank or Bob. Plus I like seeing all a candidate has to offer, not just the one time I see them on Bandwagon.

Ah man TJ, that was his bandwagon speech. Got anymore links to him...just for clarification, that's Patrick D. I'm talkin' about.

Archived