City/County Consolidation

thetoolman

A. Katz should stay! This is the guy who developed a compromising solution for downtown's height restriction after decades of bickering and complaining. To loose him will be a major setback for our City Commission.

So true, so true.

Did anyone notice in the Ed/Op section of the Democrat today that Bill Proctor said he would continue to play "every card in the deck..." to get things done? I think we all knew that anyway.

Are you referring to his deck of race cards?! ;)

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It might also apply to the joker card.

I think he's a good young man at heart. That old red devil gave him a very large dose of pride and perhaps just a tiny bit of greed, but he could overcome it and be a great leader for this community and for the state. I have hope for the young man that he'll realize that he's being played and stop acting the fool. (fade to black)

172 of 175 polls have reported (absentees have not been counted.) Looks like:

Superintendent

Jackie Pons will Dem candidate against (I forgot the Rep)

County Commission

Dist 1 - Bill Proctor will remain - 58% to 30% over Alexander

Dist 3 - John Dailey with 59%

Dist 4 - Desloge in a squeaker over Messer - 45.7% to 42.7%

Dist 5 - Rackleff runs away with it 46% to 25% over Mayernick

At large - Thaell 62%, Griffin 38%

County Judge

Ronald Flury - 38.47%

John Newton II - 33.82%

Lisa Raleigh - 27.72%

Mayor

John Marks - 78%

City Comm

Seat 3 - Debbie Lightsey wins with 48%

Seat 5 - Allan Katz wins with 72%

Long and short - hopefully you like how things have been done in the past. The changes are Desloge and Dailey. My 3-beer analysis - I expect to Desloge to be cut from the Grippa mold (but more congenial) and Dailey to be similar in positions to Winchester - both good things.

See all for yourself here.

172 of 175 polls have reported (absentees have not been counted.) Looks like:

Superintendent

Jackie Pons will Dem candidate against (I forgot the Rep)

County Commission

Dist 1 - Bill Proctor will remain - 58% to 30% over Alexander

Dist 3 - John Dailey with 59%

Dist 4 - Desloge in a squeaker over Messer - 45.7% to 42.7%

Dist 5 - Rackleff runs away with it 46% to 25% over Mayernick

At large - Thaell 62%, Griffin 38%

County Judge

Ronald Flury - 38.47%

John Newton II - 33.82%

Lisa Raleigh - 27.72%

Mayor

John Marks - 78%

City Comm

Seat 3 - Debbie Lightsey wins with 48%

Seat 5 - Allan Katz wins with 72%

Long and short - hopefully you like how things have been done in the past. The changes are Desloge and Dailey. My 3-beer analysis - I expect to Desloge to be cut from the Grippa mold (but more congenial) and Dailey to be similar in positions to Winchester - both good things.

See all for yourself here.

Keep in mind, those with less than 50% of the vote will have to face off with the runner up for the seat again. They haven't won, they've only progressed to the next round.

Keep in mind, those with less than 50% of the vote will have to face off with the runner up for the seat again. They haven't won, they've only progressed to the next round.

Thank goodness for that!

I do wish Proctor would have been forced into a run-off also.

The saddest part of the Primary last night was not who won or lost but who didn't show up to the polls.....the voters. Leon County had a better showing than most counties, but it still wasn't great. According to Leon County Elections page: County Commission District Race 4 (Desloge/Messer) had the highest voter turn out in the county at 44.71% while District 1 (Proctor) had the lowest turn in all races in the county at 26.86%. Out of 22K voters in District 1, only 3673 voted for him. I guess all is well and folks are satisfied w/what's going on in District 1???

Thank goodness for that!

I do wish Proctor would have been forced into a run-off also.

The saddest part of the Primary last night was not who won or lost but who didn't show up to the polls.....the voters. Leon County had a better showing than most counties, but it still wasn't great. According to Leon County Elections page: County Commission District Race 4 (Desloge/Messer) had the highest voter turn out in the county at 44.71% while District 1 (Proctor) had the lowest turn in all races in the county at 26.86%. Out of 22K voters in District 1, only 3673 voted for him. I guess all is well and folks are satisfied w/what's going on in District 1???

So on to the important stuff. Which of the candidate parties last night was your favorite???

• 2 months later...

Yes, get ready for the Proctor/Rackleff hatred and bickering to get even worse.

I wonder how Desloge will handle getting along w/DePuy since DePuy was in Messer's commercials endorsing him. Hopefully these fellas will take the high road and just get along.

I am happy we CANNOT claim to have the highest sales tax of any county in the State.

^Thanks DEMOCRAT for answering my questions, how timely!

Two commissioners - Ed DePuy and Bill Proctor - openly backed candidates who weren't elected. DePuy appeared in TV ads for Will Messer, who lost to Desloge, and Rackleff endorsed Frank Mayernick, who lost to Commissioner Bob Rackleff.

However, DePuy was behind Messer before Desloge got in the District 4 race, and he thinks the campaign won't complicate board relations. DePuy said he and Desloge met over lunch recently and that they pledged to get along.

"Bryan and I have had an open, ongoing dialogue since day one, and we are in agreement that if he won, he and I would work together for the betterment of the community," DePuy said.

Desloge, who wants to make getting along a priority, said he doesn't hold any grudges. He added that he wants members of the public to feel good when they leave County Commission meetings.

"I think part of the process is starting with a level of trust and starting with a level of respect," he said.

I don't know much about the city/county commissioner political landscape other than the fact that they don't seem to get along, but would you all say that maybe we've seen a change for the better in the new appointed officials and perhaps a more forward looking attitude overall?

The Democrat says two things on this topic today:

One: Vince Long will get to do an editorial on Sunday still supporting the county health care tax. It should be interesting to read what he has to say.

Two: DePuy is up for county commission chairman next. Do you think this is a good thing? The Democrat also says he makes it clear that after Campbell retires as Sheriff, that's the job DePuy wants. How do you feel about that? Is it good for all of us?

I read in the Democrat that Crist is an alumni of FSU, so hopefully he will have a governer who has a vested interest in his alma mater. By the way, Chiles Boys Cross Country is state 3A champs again! This is our third time in in four years that we have won. Chiles girls got 2nd in 3A, Maclay girls got 2nd in 1A, and Leon boys got 4th in 3A. There is an abundance of talent in the Big Bend, that is for sure. Here is the article. :yahoo:

• 1 year later...

We must push for city county consolidation!!! it will increase tallahassee from 100 sq miles to 700!!!! plus businesses would take a second look at us, as our pop would swell to that of leon county!!!>

ugh... so depressing watching this city sit on its hands in so many reguards,..

I think i just need to move to a bigger place to get my fix.

• 3 weeks later...

FY 2008 Budget Report

Functional Consolidation of Programs

At the last County Board of Commissioners retreat in December of 2006, the County Board

identified functional consolidation as a priority of the County Board. At various Mayor-Chair

meetings this issue has been discussed and the County has requested that both governments

appoint staff to do a preliminary review to develop a list of programs that may lend themselves

to functional consolidation. Executive staff budget deliberations included discussion of potential

areas for analysis of functional consolidation including: growth management, stormwater, animal

control, parks and recreation and information system services. If it is the City Commissions

desire, staff can begin discussions with Leon County on examining the potential functional

consolidation of some of these services.

Archived