163 members have voted

1. 1. Who do we like for Governor?

• Dick DeVos
    • Jennifer Granholm
    • Other

An article from the GR Press on the race:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...9650.xml&coll=6

For the most part, the article was pretty boring, except for this part:

The Michigan Civil Rights Initiative and proposals for a minimum wage increase and guaranteed inflationary increases for school funding should push twice as many new Democratic voters to the polls than Republican, Sarpolus said.

[...]Legislative Republicans, who have opposed increasing the minimum wage since it was increased in 1996, led the way in sending to Granholm a bill Tuesday to raise the standard from $5.15 an hour to $6.95 an hour in October. It would increase to $7.40 by July 2008.

That move was a way to cool off the passions of Democratic voters by November, Sarpolus said. Three-fourths of Michigan voters said they approved of the minimum wage ballot proposal, according to an EPIC/MRA poll last week.

To me, that's pretty smart politically, Republicans passing the minimum wage increase to prevent, or at least reduce the impact of, a ballot proposal that could greatly increase turnout for the Democrats in the coming election. I had wondered why they finally decided to support it, and now I know. It's pretty sad its passage came to be for what seems to be purely political reasons.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't smart to pass minimum wage law, now our company is talking downsizing... I probably make less then anyone on UP-GR, I won't make bones about it, but I would have voted no. Besides, according to the supervisor I won't even see a penny of a raise because of this. So if no one is getting a raise of their minimum wage, why the downsizing?

When I think of economics, I seem to sway towards Republicans. It really makes me feel they are just using this to ground some political help from the undecided poor. Who, in return according to my employer and a few people I talked to, assert that this minimum wage law will only apply to new hires after the October date. Give me a break, in the meantime I'll be looking into a career change through GRCC.

Wasn't smart to pass minimum wage law, now our company is talking downsizing... I probably make less then anyone on UP-GR, I won't make bones about it, but I would have voted no. Besides, according to the supervisor I won't even see a penny of a raise because of this. So if no one is getting a raise of their minimum wage, why the downsizing?

When I think of economics, I seem to sway towards Republicans. It really makes me feel they are just using this to ground some political help from the undecided poor. Who, in return according to my employer and a few people I talked to, assert that this minimum wage law will only apply to new hires after the October date. Give me a break, in the meantime I'll be looking into a career change through GRCC.

Yeah, I think the increase is not retroactive. The verbage is something like "notwithstanding voluntary agreement between the employee and employer".

Well the reason the Republicans are doing it is not so much to get political help, but to prevent the success of a ballot proposal that would increase the minimum wage in the state constitution and have automatic increases based on the rate of inflation. That ballot measure is currently polling at around 3 to 1 in favor of, so opponents of a minimum wage increase are scared as hell.

This is how it works:

1. Supporters of minimum wage increase plan create an election ballot proposal to amend the state constitution, raising the minimum wage from $5.15 to $6.85, and make future increases automatic based on inflation. Polls show around 75% support for increasing the minimum wage.

2. Republicans sponsor a legislative bill to increase the minimum wage to $6.95 and eventually to $7.40 in July '08. But the verbage states if the ballot proposal passes, the minimum wage will be set as specified in the ballot proposal (e.g. starting at 10 cents less). House and Senate versions of the bill pass. Expect it to get to Granholm soon; she will sign it into law.

3. Before the election, expect a flurry of ads against the ballot proposal with the claim that the minimum wage increase will actually be reduced if the ballot proposal passes (which of course will be true in the short term).

Sorry, LMichigan, but I have to disagree on one fine detail. In my lifetime, the economy in Michigan has been FAR FAR worse than it is now.

I don't think I made myself clear. What I meant is that the blue collage sector of the auto industry in Michigan is about as low as it's ever going to get. We're not going to see any more 1980's style downsizing for the simple fact that there just aren't that number of blue-collar auto jobs left to cut, anymore. It's already well on its way out of the door, and despite popular belief, there are steadily growing parts of the economy, and Grand Rapids should especially realize this since they've benefited probably more than any other city in the state from these growing industries. And even more simply, I don't see any way that between now and the election that the economy will be a deciding factor for most people, or that it can possibily get fastly better or worse in this short amount of time. That was my point.

Wasn't smart to pass minimum wage law, now our company is talking downsizing...

I agree Rizzo. My father is a financial planner and owns a Certified Public Accounting Firm. Many of his clients are very concerned about this. They simply don't have the money to pay this large of an increase. Their only option is to lay off the very workers that policies like this are supposed to "help."

The other option to pay for this increase in salary costs are to raise the prices of their products/services. Again, this only hurts everyone else in the long run. As they raise prices, sales shrink, which leads to layoffs.

Why is it so hard to undertand that government regulation is not the answer?

I believe the real industry that will hurt are low wage service jobs that make below this new minimum amount. You won't expect to see a raise in the amount you pay for your cheeseburger, but you can expect to not see many people behind the counter preparing your meal. At least that is the rumor. My motives for not wanting this increase are hard to swallow, its nothing about politics, especially when 6.95 to 7 something looks very attractive, its about job sercurity until I can get into another serivice sector job. GRCC here we come!

Coming from someone who works in Middle Management in the Service industry. The minimum wage increase, may be a benefit in the short run, but long term it's only going to cause inflation. And put the benefactors right back where they started. All that happens when wages are increased, is business owners and corporations that are affected, just pass those increases right along to consumers making everyone pay more, and lessening quality of life.

It's really pathetic that this tactic was used, purely out of politics, Because one party is trying to make a power grab from another! I am so fed up with partisan politics.

Well, good news for anyone that's a fan of Dick DeVos. According to the Marketing Resource Group of Lansing, who's poll was released March 22, 2006. The numbers break down like this after DeVos TV add blitz:

Granholm - 43%

DeVos - 41%

Undecided - 16%

This week, according to MSG, the race is a dead heat. I'm now interested to see how these number changes when Granholm actually starts campaigning for reelection.

Coming from someone who works in Middle Management in the Service industry. The minimum wage increase, may be a benefit in the short run, but long term it's only going to cause inflation. And put the benefactors right back where they started. All that happens when wages are increased, is business owners and corporations that are affected, just pass those increases right along to consumers making everyone pay more, and lessening quality of life.

It's really pathetic that this tactic was used, purely out of politics, Because one party is trying to make a power grab from another! I am so fed up with partisan politics.

I cant imagine you will see all that much inflation, given the fact that we have already seen quite a bit of inflation, the likes of which wages have not kept up with. If anything what the economy needs is another correction, but this time it would be on the reduction of credit-based spending. Also Michigan is certainly not the first state to raise its minimum wage. Prices in the other states haven't inflated, so its safe to assume it wont happen here either.

I disagree, Directly due to wage increases, Fast Food Giant Mcdonalds, WILL raise prices. Along with other lower end employers, that could directly affect people with the tightest budgets.

Other states have raised their minimum wages on thier own, and the inflation hasnt been hit that hard on them. If anything its corrected a few problems that the states faced. It means more tax revenue for the state, and more revenue for people who need it. The economies that are doing well are evenly split between states that have raised their minimum wage and states that haven't.

I mean, the evidence just isn't there to support that an increased minimum wage has any negative effect on a long term economy.

what's the latest guys where do the polls stand? Is Granholm doing anything to combat the trickle of people going to the other camp?

I know that this is the west Michiga forum, but don't you think that by Devos running, they are kind of gift wrapping a second term for Granholm. From what I can tell, Devos has about as much charisma, as Dick Posthumus, and did anyone really think he was going to win the election?

what's the latest guys where do the polls stand? Is Granholm doing anything to combat the trickle of people going to the other camp?

I know that this is the west Michiga forum, but don't you think that by Devos running, they are kind of gift wrapping a second term for Granholm. From what I can tell, Devos has about as much charisma, as Dick Posthumus, and did anyone really think he was going to win the election?

I think when all the other candidates found out DeVos was running they saw his pile of cash and got out of the way. I don't think he's the best candidate either.

Granholm has found her trump card for West Michigan.

Read that Project X report, there is a LOT of information in it tying the interest in GR of the developer to the "Cool Cities" program.

This would be similar to say if the AMA supported Hillary Clinton's heathcare initiative back in '93.

i'm fairly certain, that the cool cities initiative are not going to swing the west Michigan base over to Granholm. Most of the people on the red side could give to shakes about the city, especially when you consider Ottawa county!

i'm fairly certain, that the cool cities initiative are not going to swing the west Michigan base over to Granholm. Most of the people on the red side could give to shakes about the city, especially when you consider Ottawa county!

Ottawa scmottawa, I don't think OC (hmm...) figures very heavily in Michigan politics anyway. You've got almost always Blue Muskegon to the north of it, and the purpling of Kent County to the east. And I hear a lot of grumblings about Hoekstra from time to time when I go back home.

I don't disagree, with you, I don't think Ottawa has much political clout at all, I'm just saying that the base over here doesn't care whats' going on downtown Grand Rapids.

Maybe not, but the people in Kent county do. Also a vibrant downtown, that is home to various corporate HQs will likely build their factories in Ottawa County, so a healthy GR SHOULD matter to them.

A Cool Cities link to Project X, assuming that it turns out to be a positive development, would increase her support in the GR city population. Probably won't make much difference in the metro area. You also have Ovonics Solar in Greenville as well. That should help provide a little boost.

I heard it was a measure to keep Dem voters at home to not vote on the similar ballot proposal.

A Cool Cities link to Project X, assuming that it turns out to be a positive development, would increase her support in the GR city population. Probably won't make much difference in the metro area. You also have Ovonics Solar in Greenville as well. That should help provide a little boost.

You're forgetting ripple effect though, it might not help this election cycle, but if this expansion keeps up people will notice, even if it isn't affecting them directly, they will see the benefits of it in their area soon enough, and if the state GOP is still bumbling around like a bunch of baffoons come 2010 Granholm will win a third term.

Sean, It was the republicans who pushed that bill thru, to get it out of the way before election time.

The republicans wanted to usher in an increase now rather than let Granholm's proposal be adopted later which would require an automatic, yearly increase. I guess this was the lesser of two evils.

(This is just my understanding from what I read in the paper.)

Archived