163 members have voted

1. 1. Who do we like for Governor?

• Dick DeVos
    • Jennifer Granholm
    • Other

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got something against Canada, are you anti-American-Canadian? :stop::tough::lol: j/k

Oh heck No... they make Hockey a better game. :silly:

As for Governor... one was born and raised in this state, has shown that he has what it takes to revitalize communities, and is passionate about Michigan.

Jenny from the Ice Block on the other hand, moved here because of a Job opportunity and worked her way up to getting elected Governor.

If she loses, do you realistically think that she will stay in Michigan or do you think that she will move away? We all know that Dick will stay in Kent County if he lost

As for Governor... one was born and raised in this state, has shown that he has what it takes to revitalize communities, and is passionate about Michigan.

Jenny from the Ice Block on the other hand, moved here because of a Job opportunity and worked her way up to getting elected Governor.

If she loses, do you realistically think that she will stay in Michigan or do you think that she will move away? We all know that Dick will stay in Kent County if he lost

If she loses, do you realistically think that she will stay in Michigan or do you think that she will move away? We all know that Dick will stay in Kent County if he lost… because he knows that even if he is not Governor, he can still do a lot to help the area.

Dick hasn't done anything with Grand Rapids, its his dad whose done all the philanthropy, and development for the area.

When Dick was controlling Alticor, he ran it so horribly they ended up cutting 1,300 jobs and he was kicked out to a different wing of the company (where he botched the Lyon @ Ottawa Project)

THe Devoses can't even run the state GOP right. How can we expect them to run the state right? (Betsy pretty much kills the state GOP a little bit more everytime she opens her mouth.)

I have no prolem with republicans, as long as they are competent, Devos has shown NOTHING to me that says hes competent to run anything, not at Alticor, not in government.

Dick hasn't done anything with Grand Rapids, its his dad whose done all the philanthropy, and development for the area.

THe Devoses can't even run the state GOP right. How can we expect them to run the state right? (Betsy pretty much kills the state GOP a little bit more everytime she opens her mouth.)

Can I get an AMEN?

When Dick was controlling Alticor, he ran it so horribly they ended up cutting 1,300 jobs and he was kicked out to a different wing of the company (where he botched the Lyon @ Ottawa Project)

Ok, I'm really confused here. DP Fox who was developing the Lyon and Ottawa project is Dan DeVos' company. As far as I know there is no connection between Alticor and DP Fox.

Are you saying Dick went to work for his brother? I don't know if that was the case.

http://www.devosforgovernor.com/MyStory/

It is not just philanthropy that has turned the city around... it is leadership.

As for the where he is from… it’s the reason that Google is in A2… one of top guys went to U of M. What I am getting at is no matter where a person goes, they always have a love for their home town and state. I moved away for a while and came back to Michigan. DeVos has more than just a vested interest in the State, it is his home.

Jenny from her demeanor has never indicated that she as moved to Michigan to stay… only to get to another stage in a political career.

http://www.devosforgovernor.com/MyStory/

It is not just philanthropy that has turned the city around... it is leadership.

He's got a nice "story" from a development standpoint (any idea what goes into writing this stuff? Like making sausage, you don't want to know.) I don't see how that qualifies him as a governor. There's more going on in the state than a need for re/development. Health care? Education? Environment? Crime?

From Dick's "story" -- "Turnarounds don

Oh, didn't want to get into this (much of it, in fact, is really petty), but can you tell me where former Governor Engler and his family are, right now? I like that you can see the future, though. I'd like that power for me, as well. :)

Seriously, Mike, let's be a bit more mature. There are plenty of other, and more importantly, valid, points to argue than where someone might choose to live after the election. lol

I never liked Engler. I thought that he was a lousy Governor, regardless of what party he belonged to.

As for the maturity thing... I am not the one attacking others posts. Just responding when someone quotes mine. From the few times that I have met Grandholm, I was not impressed with her what so ever. I am not a fan of the small business tax, I don

You're splitting hairs, and reaching for straws to try and make your point remain valid, as anything can happen. At the end of the day, it's still nothing more than a sideshow, and an almost irrelevant point if even it was well made, which it wasn't. If one wants to tear down candidates, here, there are many and better points to be made against each of them besides where they may or may not choose to live after the election. That seems incredibly frivilous, at best, and unpredictable, and not really worth discussion when Michigan has such big issues facing it.

I have no prolem with republicans, as long as they are competent, Devos has shown NOTHING to me that says hes competent to run anything, not at Alticor, not in government.

Are you aware that Dick DeVos (with Dave Frey and John Canepa) personally facilitated the process that ended with the construction of the arena and the convention center. That process included a very impressive negotiation that moved significant state dollars to West Michigan for those extremely critical developments. He has also been personally instrumental in the redevelopment of Heartside and Michigan Street (pill hill).

Dick was raised in a home with an unquestionable commitment to community. Betsy did too. Have you every visited Holland. It was a lot different when Ed Prince decided to invest $1M in a snowmelt system. He then created Evergreen Commons Senior Center and started buying downtown buildings. He built parks and placed public art and started businesses to occupy vacant buildings. Holland is what it is today to a large extent because of Betsy's dad. These two probably know more about community building than anyone else in government.

BTW, that was brother Dan with the Lyon/Ottawa building.

The governor has to be a deal maker. He needs to be able to convince BMW that Michigan is the right place for a plant in the morning and convince legislators from Detroit that West Michigan needs transportation funds in the afternoon. I suspect that a call from Dick DeVos to the president of a major corporation considering locating in Michigan would be returned quicker than one from the current gov. I suspect too that even Dem. legislators will respect the influence that the DeVos family has over Michigan politics. They may be more inclined to work with such an influence. As a result, I suspect that Dick DeVos is much more able to build important alliances than the current gov. Given that state of the state, that's a very important consideration.

Wow! I hadn't heard about the death of the state GOP. That's a shame. Was there a funeral? :shades:

You're splitting hairs, and reaching for straws to try and make your point remain valid, as anything can happen. At the end of the day, it's still nothing more than a sideshow, and an almost irrelevant point if even it was well made, which it wasn't. If one wants to tear down candidates, here, there are many and better points to be made against each of them besides where they may or may not choose to live after the election. That seems incredibly frivilous, at best, and unpredictable, and not really worth discussion when Michigan has such big issues facing it.

Well, let me ask you why you feel that the current Governor has what it takes to revitalize Michigan communities, the economy, or the quality of living?

Note that I am not attacking her or you in this post. Just inquiring what it is about Grandholm that you feel makes her the better choice.

I like the Devos commercial where the guy says, "We don't need a politician in office, we need a leader."

lol

He then went on to say, 'we don't need an airplane pilot to fly a plane, we need someone who will lead it.'

He then went on to say, "No, I'm not a pilot, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night." :whistling:

Archived