Sculpture Exhibit Downtown Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its still in front of the Art museum though...

Yes. It just moved from the south side to the west side.

Although the property owner may have had an opinion, I suspect that the artist would make adjustments if he saw a better location for the art. He's speaking in a few days at the Gardens and the exhibit opens soon. He would be here to supervise the final placements.

The move puts it on Ionia, which has more traffic than Pearl. It is more visable in the new spot. Given that this is the Art Museum property, I would think they would agree to any change the artist might request.

Has anyone seen the fish at the Fish Ladder yet?

Havent seen these pics yet, so heres a few we caught this morning:

DNA.jpg

ballerina.jpg

holdhands.jpg

bookguys.jpg

boydog.jpg

copembez.jpg

bandit1.jpg

bandit2.jpg

fish.jpg

bearnfish.jpg

I was shocked how tiny that bear is :P and he was HOT today *yeeouch!*

Oh yeah they also had signs near the sculptures giving some info about the work itself, and where the rest were, It was pretty neat.

We couldn't get a good shot of the tin soldier though it was just too dark under the devos place shade I suppose.

i like the DNA one, it would look great by the vai FOR GOOD

There were hints of the possibility of a permanent Tom Otterness in GR at tonight's presentation.

I would encourage everyone to visit FMG as well as the downtown installations.

They have an excellent group of smaller pieces in the exhibit gallery as well as a video and AMAZING concept Tom did for the 9/11 memorial.

Over 1,000 people at the Gardens for the presentation tonight. Good job supporting the arts, Grand Rapids!

I love all these sculptures downtown. La Grande Vitesse may serve as an icon and as one central grand showpiece, as do other sculptures around town provide for the immediate area...

But the Otterness scupltures are different. They aren't "grand" by any means, but the sheer number of them have really taken the entire environment of the downtown area and made the whole city much more artistic... you cannot walk down a single street without seeing a piece of Otterness' work...

It beautifies the entire city and at the same time paves a future for art in the city.

I would love to see this magnificent collection of art have a permanent home in Grand Rapids.

I love all these sculptures downtown. La Grande Vitesse may serve as an icon and as one central grand showpiece, as do other sculptures around town provide for the immediate area...

But the Otterness scupltures are different. They aren't "grand" by any means, but the sheer number of them have really taken the entire environment of the downtown area and made the whole city much more artistic... you cannot walk down a single street without seeing a piece of Otterness' work...

It beautifies the entire city and at the same time paves a future for art in the city.

I would love to see this magnificent collection of art have a permanent home in Grand Rapids.

They are cool, but I'd prefer more variety in styles, materials, colors, artistic expression, and all that.

If you look at what downtown is "before," then compare to "now--wow!" with a sculpture in what had been an empty place, it's quite a difference (a good one, I think).

I snapped these with the camera on a cell phone yesterday before the Memorial Day Parade. I didn't see who actually place these signs, whether it was someone that took part in the parade or just some onlookers.

to.jpg

to2.jpg

Caught the artist himself reviewing his works today with FMG staff:

157299230_0633d42098.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality. I'm not sure what happened, but I know I was pretty far away at full zoom.

I'm available for any PI work if anyone is looking...

Caught the artist himself reviewing his works today with FMG staff:

157299230_0633d42098.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality. I'm not sure what happened, but I know I was pretty far away at full zoom.

I'm available for any PI work if anyone is looking...

:P Thanks for snagging me in that one. I should have a video clip or two of Otterness talking about his sculptures. By the way, Otterness is in the white shirt with his hand extended toward the sculpture and the gentleman in the suit is Meijer Gardens' Curator of Sculpture.

:P Thanks for snagging me in that one. I should have a video clip or two of Otterness talking about his sculptures. By the way, Otterness is in the white shirt with his hand extended toward the sculpture and the gentleman in the suit is Meijer Gardens' Curator of Sculpture.

Oh yeah, I should have clarified which one was Otterness. Where are you dbrok?

If I remember correctly, does the entire exhibit downtown open tomorrow with all sculptures inplace?

Yes, tomorrow's the official opening. The only one that won't be installed yet is #21 Head by Veterans Park. It should be in place by next week, though.

Archived