Sculpture Exhibit Downtown Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought I had too much time on my hands :rofl: That is too funny.

That one is actually a photograph. I was crossing the bridge just as a horse drawn wagon full of tourists came across the river from the museum. The driver thought my angle was a little weird.

There's a lecture about public art tomorrow at Meijer Gardens.

Lisa Van Aaragon from Calvin College is talking about why art is important to Grand Rapids and vice-versa by referencing some hot-button issues on this forum--the Calder (and the plaza I assume), Maya Lin's Ecliptic as well as the topic of the summer, the Otterness exhibition.

I think it's free, which is always awesome.

I don't think she's speaking because of the UP debates, if that's what you mean. I think this is putting the public art of Tom Otterness in the context of Grand Rapids.

We've talked alot recently about public spaces and the sculpture within them (Calder Plaza specifically) Aragon might have some insight into why there are so many people passionate about these areas of town.

Since the Otterness exhibit started, I've really seen an increase in the number of families downtown during the day. Usually at least one parent brings their kids, wagons, strollers, food and they tour most of the sculptures. It's really great to see the intended effect of having an outdoor exhibition work. It has to be great for local businesses who might not otherwise have those customers.

Today's Grand Rapids Press says that a copy of the "Boy and Dog" sculpture that sits outside the police station on Monroe Center has been purchased by a retired Indianpolis insurance exec. for $82K. Apparently a smaller collection of Tom Otterness' work was in Indy last year and they enjoyed it as much as we are! I wondered what one of the pieces could go for - and now we all know what we can do with that extra $82K laying around the house! :D

It's a casting of a limited series actually and it's pretty common, especially with bronze sculpture.

$82K is about right for a piece that size. An article in the IndyStar said the Arts Council of Indianapolis coordinated the purchase of Large Free Money (currently in front of the Kent County Courthouse) for $300K and are raising money to purchase the tourist couple (also at KCC). Total budget for all of the pieces, $550K.

I wouldn't be surprised if a group of locals decided to coordinate funds and purchase a piece for Grand Rapids. Like the Horse at Calder Plaza, or DNA Strand for VAI.

It's a casting of a limited series actually and it's pretty common, especially with bronze sculpture.

$82K is about right for a piece that size. An article in the IndyStar said the Arts Council of Indianapolis coordinated the purchase of Large Free Money (currently in front of the Kent County Courthouse) for $300K and are raising money to purchase the tourist couple (also at KCC). Total budget for all of the pieces, $550K.

I wouldn't be surprised if a group of locals decided to coordinate funds and purchase a piece for Grand Rapids. Like the Horse at Calder Plaza, or DNA Strand for VAI.

I'd be more than willing to throw in a few bucks (not the whole $82K though, maybe $82!) to get to keep one of his sculptures in town. They add so much character to downtown.

• 4 weeks later...

For real... When I cast metals, and joints crack or just come off its just better to recast rather then cast an extension and glue it back on. Asethically it can be done without showing any telltale signs, but for preformance, it's liable to get pulled right off.

Archived