Sparkle City Eateries

Spartan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow I must be going blind. When I'm in town I almost always drive down Pine St. Not sure how I missed it!

The HJ reports that Monsoon Noodle House will reopen this spring. That's great news for downtown. Now if we can just get some of those other vacant buildings filled up...

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20120121/ARTICLES/201211004

• 2 weeks later...

Since my wife had been on the west coast for the past 2 weeks and Valentines Day was coming up we decided to splurge and hit Zarza before the art show at Hub Bub last weekend. Man I can't tell you how bad the food was and it wasn't just me. Two other friends of mine were there and said the same thing. One even complained to management about how he ordered veal and was brough stew beef. They said the cook had messed up and the guy goes "I thought you had a chef". This was followed by an extremely lame excuse. Anyway we got all tapas and out of 4 only 1 was any good at all. I won't be back for a good while because if you're gonna drop $60 you have to get something good in return. If I had known this was gonna be the case, I'd have gone to Greenville.

I'd like to see it become something other than an 'upscale' restaurant. That location has proven to be unsuccessful over the years for that type of place. I'd like to see whatever it is embrace the "bank" theme somehow.

The rumor I heard is that it will be a casual restaurant; possibly a regional chain. I would love to see a Taco Boy or Carolina Ale House. Maybe this time the location will succeed.

I think that's the nature of someone who just opens a restaurant because it's their "dream" rather than having experience in the restaurant industry. Larger cities have a pool of chefs that are always looking for new concepts to try. Spartanburg certainly has a pool of them, but I think there is more room for people with no experience to give it a shot.

That being said, does it function at all like a wine bar? My understanding was the wine bar was the key feature of that place.