Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

While I believe that Baton Rouge isn't really large enough for people to want to move back en masse(as apposed to say Atlanta), I think it might be hard to really guage the interest for downtown housing in B.R. as the pickings are slim. I mean just think, if the demand for suburban apartments where based of just one or two complexes it might not seem like a worthwhile investment to build them. And besides the upscale Indigo Park, Nicholson Lakes, and Springlake are butted up against a crime area.

Edited by dan326

If that were even remotely true then there would be those developments being built all over downtown. There's aren't because there's no great demand. This is a capitalist country. If there's a way to make money then it will be done. There's not. You do the math.

RIver Park, The Elysian, The proposed Preis development in Spanish Town, The condos on Main, River Place, two developments along Nicholson proposing almost 1,000 new residences and 1 million sqft of retail and one development on Highland. Those are the ones I can name off the top of my head......

You do the math. tongue.gif

That statement makes no sense whatsoever nor does it have any relevance to why there aren't many homes downtown.

You live in Houston so you obviously haven't been to the area where they are preparing to build the Elyisan. It's a dump.

This is a dump? Nothing is there.......

post-19123-0-15832200-1306389291_thumb.p

You said people love being outside here, then they'd love to walk to things too. Makes a lot of sense to me..

That makes no sense. That would be like me saying "people in the south like to hunt animals so therefore they would love to hunt people too"

RIver Park, The Elysian, The proposed Preis development in Spanish Town, The condos on Main, River Place, two developments along Nicholson proposing almost 1,000 new residences and 1 million sqft of retail and one development on Highland. Those are the ones I can name off the top of my head......

You do the math. tongue.gif

Since when do proposals count as developments? Proposals are made all the time. Doesn't mean they'll get built.

This is a dump? Nothing is there.......

post-19123-0-15832200-1306389291_thumb.p

You are right. That area is completely safe. I'm sure people will look at the propery boundary on google earth and decide that it's a wonderful and safe place to live.

You just twist words into your own to satisfy your argument.

People will look at it as urban and new. Stop complaining about everything.

I'm not twisting anything. I'm just pointing out that you can take a screen shot of property in any bad neighborhood and say it looks safe from a view from space.

And I'm not complaining. Im merely pointing out that this is likely to fail.

I'm not exactly sure how scared you are, but I could handle myself fine in that area. I don't think everyone shivers at the sign of less fortunate people as much as you may.

You are complaining, you complain about most things being proposed/developed in BR besides things like Long Farm.

Again, if people wanted to live downtown next to the I-110 then people would. Instead there are blighted buildings, hobos, trash along the streets and graffiti. You may feel comfortable there and that's good for you. But if there was a desire to live in that part of town then people would have built homes there. Or schools would be built there. Or businesses would be opening there.

As far as "you like to complain"? No. You just don't like someone pointing out that there are dangerous and dirty parts of Baton Rouge where businesses nor people want to be working or living. I'm stating facts. You may not like reading them but they are facts. If you don't like my comments then maybe you should stop replying? Or stop reading them? Or maybe you can use the ignore function instead of arguing? You clearly have a choice.

Thanks

Edited by itsjustme2

People wanted to live outside of the city and have large homes in the suburbs, the reason why inner city's like us are struggling. The state of the area is obvious, but it has great potential with it's location and grid system, does it not?

Oh I'm well aware of the facts. But leaving these neighborhoods to deteriorate isn't going to solve anything. The crime, bad schools, and blighted properties will stay that way and hinder the city in the long run.

I choose not to ignore you, and you have just as much of a choice not to respond. I chose to entertain your antics.

People wanted to live outside of the city and have large homes in the suburbs, the reason why inner city's like us are struggling. The state of the area is obvious, but it has great potential with it's location and grid system, does it not?

No, it's not the peoples fault who left. It's the peoples fault who MADE those people leave.

Oh I'm well aware of the facts. But leaving these neighborhoods to deteriorate isn't going to solve anything. The crime, bad schools, and blighted properties will stay that way and hinder the city in the long run.

You talk as if bringing in money and buildings is going to magically cure the social problems in those areas. It won't.

I choose not to ignore you, and you have just as much of a choice not to respond. I chose to entertain your antics.

You can keep trolling my posts but don't be surprised if I start reporting you. When you blatantly say that you choose not to ignore me and you're having fun with arguing then that's not productive. Youre just trying to argue and I doubt the owner of the site would appreciate that.

Those new Northgate condos(like the New Orleans looking one) are also built on the edge of a worn neighborhood.

You mean the ones next to LSU? That's not downtown and it's doubtful those would be built along the I-110 where the Elysian is planned.

Again, if people wanted to live downtown next to the I-110 then people would. Instead there are blighted buildings, hobos, trash along the streets and graffiti. You may feel comfortable there and that's good for you. But if there was a desire to live in that part of town then people would have built homes there. Or schools would be built there. Or businesses would be opening there.

As far as "you like to complain"? No. You just don't like someone pointing out that there are dangerous and dirty parts of Baton Rouge where businesses nor people want to be working or living. I'm stating facts. You may not like reading them but they are facts. If you don't like my comments then maybe you should stop replying? Or stop reading them? Or maybe you can use the ignore function instead of arguing? You clearly have a choice.

Thanks

Everything you stated is not a "fact," it is merely your interpretation of the Baton Rouge market based on the people you know. I, on the other hand, know MANY recent LSU graduates who lament the fact that Baton Rouge does not provide a more urban lifestyle close to downtown with apartments like The Elysian. Consequently, they are all moving to NOLA, Dallas, or Houston. This is my point. You think you know how everyone in your subdivision likes to live and that's fine, but you must understand the potential of how much "safer" those streets will feel with big, shiny, new apartments lining them. It only takes one catalytic project to get the ball rolling. If the apartment fills up, there will be more on the way, until you reach a point where there is a huge mass of residents in the area and it is no longer a dead zone of development and suburbanites will be clamoring to visit on the weekends to get their coffee and to dine. It's called gentrification and it happens EVERYWHERE. It just takes a couple pioneers to move in and start the process. I've read several books and written a paper on this. It happens. Several neighborhoods in New Orleans used to be skid row 10-20 years ago. Now they are full of rich people and quaint renovations (see Lower Garden District, Faubourg Marigny, Oak Street). Now, before you go on and tell me how those neighborhoods in NOLA are still sketchy, you would obviously never live in those neighborhoods but clearly there is enough people for the area to be booming with restaurants, renovations, people, no crime, good schools, etc, etc. This is possible in Baton Rouge if enough people see the potential.

Also, I also am not scared of walking around these so called "ghetto" areas. I've walked from Downtown on Highland to LSU before and was greeted with nothing but kindness. The people in that area might be poor but they are still good, "decent" people.

No, it's not the peoples fault who left. It's the peoples fault who MADE those people leave.

You talk as if bringing in money and buildings is going to magically cure the social problems in those areas. It won't.

You can keep trolling my posts but don't be surprised if I start reporting you. When you blatantly say that you choose not to ignore me and you're having fun with arguing then that's not productive. Youre just trying to argue and I doubt the owner of the site would appreciate that.

You mean the ones next to LSU? That's not downtown and it's doubtful those would be built along the I-110 where the Elysian is planned.

No one forced them to the burbs, they voluntarily sold there homes and moved to suburbia. Yes, money and new buildings will help the area. What will help the people? I guess it's not the CATS bus drivers trying to help runaway teens in the area since you rudely criticized that as well.

Report me for what exactly? For giving the website more traffic and keeping this dead forum somewhat active? Arguing isn't a bad thing, it's a forum discussion, it happens all the time.

Everything you stated is not a "fact," it is merely your interpretation of the Baton Rouge market based on the people you know. I, on the other hand, know MANY recent LSU graduates who lament the fact that Baton Rouge does not provide a more urban lifestyle close to downtown with apartments like The Elysian. 

So I'm wrong for my belief because of the people I know, but you can justify your belief because of the people YOU know?

Consequently, they are all moving to NOLA, Dallas, or Houston. This is my point. You think you know how everyone in your subdivision likes to live and that's fine, but you must understand the potential of how much "safer" those streets will feel with big, shiny, new apartments lining them. 

So LSU graduates are moving to Dallas and Houston and moving into crime ridden rundown neighborhoods adjacent to a interstate like I-110? Kids who are from this area will normally move to a new city. Nothing wrong with that. The new apartment in a bad neighborhood won't change that. 

It only takes one catalytic project to get the ball rolling. If the apartment fills up, there will be more on the way, until you reach a point where there is a huge mass of residents in the area and it is no longer a dead zone of development and suburbanites will be clamoring to visit on the weekends to get their coffee and to dine. It's called gentrification and it happens EVERYWHERE. It just takes a couple pioneers to move in and start the process. 

Possibly. Not likely where the Elysian in planned though. 

Also, I also am not scared of walking around these so called "ghetto" areas. I've walked from Downtown on Highland to LSU before and was greeted with nothing but kindness. The people in that area might be poor but they are still good, "decent" people.

Like I said before, the Elysian isnt near LSU. The Elysian won't be near the cop station on highland. To compare the two is pointless. 

Thanks

WOW! This thread is rockin' & rollin...had no idea one simple sentence abt The Elysian posted on May 19th in New(old)Urbanism thread would egnite so much discussion! :whistling:

BR trends are generally a little slower...gentrification is/will happen; the real estate bubble & before that $$high construction co$t from Katrina(RiverPlace) has put a kink in things..not to mention the the Civic ASSociation that shot-down the 6-story/115-unit Capitol Lofts on the edge of Spanish Town across from Arsenal Park in the shadows of the 450'ft Capitol...this was a BIG SET-BACK for downtown IMO to reach it's critical mass for retail componets...so they move down a few blocks on the east side of I-110 bec there is a demand....they even tried to downsize to 4-stories with less than 80 units and the Historic Preservation people complained it was too bulky...things like this is what keeps BR as overgrown country town. Spanish Town & Beauregard Town are nice residential core to build on

Capitol Lofts would have been nearly completed by now...but this nice project is not gonna happen now! :angry:

loftplans061009.jpg

98-unit River Palms was a sucess as was smaller projects like One Eleven; Kress; Chenevert along Third Street...rumor has it the old 8-story Commerce Bldg could house more residential development with street level retail

EBR Parish Test scores came in and 4th & 8th graders saw significant improve in test scores of 7% this Spring! No doubt those areas are hurting...but public school system can't do it all..it starts at home. I would n't feel much safer in Ascension or Livingston where a meth lab could be in my backyard...the murders/violent crime is a black-eye for NBR...but crime is everywhere including the fringes.

WOW! This thread is rockin' & rollin...had no idea one simple sentence abt The Elysian posted on May 19th in New(old)Urbanism thread would egnite so much discussion! :whistling:

BR trends are generally a little slower...gentrification is/will happen; the real estate bubble & before that $high construction co$t from Katrina(RiverPlace) has put a kink in things..not to mention the the Civic ASSociation that shot-down the 6-story/115-unit Capitol Lofts on the edge of Spanish Town across from Arsenal Park in the shadows of the 450'ft Capitol...this was a BIG SET-BACK for downtown IMO to reach it's critical mass for retail componets...so they move down a few blocks on the east side of I-110 bec there is a demand....they even tried to downsize to 4-stories with less than 80 units and the Historic Preservation people complained it was too bulky...things like this is what keeps BR as overgrown country town. Spanish Town & Beauregard Town are nice residential core to build on

Capitol Lofts would have been nearly completed by now...but this nice project is not gonna happen now! :angry:

loftplans061009.jpg

98-unit River Palms was a sucess as was smaller projects like One Eleven; Kress; Chenevert along Third Street...rumor has it the old 8-story Commerce Bldg could house more residential development with street level retail

EBR Parish Test scores came in and 4th & 8th graders saw significant improve in test scores of 7% this Spring! No doubt those areas are hurting...but public school system can't do it all..it starts at home. I would n't feel much safer in Ascension or Livingston where a meth lab could be in my backyard...the murders/violent crime is a black-eye for NBR...but crime is everywhere including the fringes.

Agreed. I think a lot of projects could have been built if there weren't so many hoops to jump through in that area. As itsjustme said, if there was a demand they would have already been built. The problem is that its much easier for a developer to build out on a huge piece of real estate where there will hardly be any opposition. Frankly, that is probably why the Elysian is proposed where it is, because there's not much around it.

Thanks

Don't you understand, that people DO want to live in this area, and this proposed development is the beginning of that process? Secondly, two new schools have been built in the area, Dufroq and Baton Rouge Magnet. So again, maybe you just ignore all of the signs?

You're basing this on what exactly? What are you basing that people DO want to live in this run down crackhead area along I-110 where the Elysian in planned?

And what are you basing your opinion on? 50 years of history of white flight to suburbia, which we now know is coming to an end? I want you to go drive around the neighborhood and take pictures of all of these crackheads to keep mentioning. K thanks.