Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

I assumed you were going to provide a actual Louisiana neighborhood with your suggestion that Bad neighborhoods were turned around for the better. Usually when money and families leave a area they don't come back.

Not to sound rude, but that is such a typical BR attitude towards real estate development. Build new neighborhoods for the rich and let others deteriorate. When new ones get old, build even newer ones and let the others deteriorate again. This is how suburban sprawl happens and by your statement, BR will continue to sprawl until it can't support itself anymore. Revitalization of neighborhoods that are already there and built are the only way to really help BR succeed. It's happening all across the country but so many in BR are against revitalization of neighborhoods in favor of new suburbs away from the po' folk which is only to the detriment of BR. In 10 years, the great, rich neighborhoods will be deteriorating and some new place will shoot up, as has always happened in BR.

Not to sound rude, but that is such a typical BR attitude towards real estate development. 

I don't think that view is any different than any other part of the U.S.

Build new neighborhoods for the rich and let others deteriorate. When new ones get old, build even newer ones and let the others deteriorate again. This is how suburban sprawl happens and by your statement, BR will continue to sprawl until it can't support itself anymore. 

I'm supposed to feel bad because I want my family to grow up in a safe environment, safe schools, low taxes and competent city leaders? Sorry but I won't subject my family to crime ridden parts of Baton Rouge. You on the other hand are more than welcome to move to Plank Rd. 

Revitalization of neighborhoods that are already there and built are the only way to really help BR succeed. It's happening all across the country but so many in BR are against revitalization of neighborhoods in favor of new suburbs away from the po' folk which is only to the detriment of BR. In 10 years, the great, rich neighborhoods will be deteriorating and some new place will shoot up, as has always happened in BR.

Do these "other" city paradises have the horrible crime that BR does? Do those cities have disgusting refinery plants downtown? Do those other cities have poor schools? If people want to revitalize the run down areas of BR then they are more than welcome. But don't think for a second that just because you prefer to live in those areas that people who want to live in the suburbs are somehow not as intelligent as you are. No one is stopping people like yourself from buying a house downtown and fixing it up. 

You might be able to count Spanish and Beauregard Town as revitalized areas.

Wasn't there a woman who was murdered in Beauregard Town recently? Some gang bangers broke into her home and shot her (killing her) and also shooting her little kid before running down the street with her tv? I think that was Beauregard Town.

"Jarreau's Spanish Town development set to go before Planning Commission An infill development on Spanish Town Road is set to go before the city-parish Planning Commission today. Donnie Jarreau wants to build The Elysian which will feature 100 units and 900 square feet of office space. Jarreau bought the property east and south of Interstate 110 in 2008 and has planned to redevelop the site for several years. Additions to Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center are also on the commission's agenda. The hospital wants to renovate and expand its emergency and trauma center and build a 10-story heart and vascular center building. In a separate action, the Planning Commission is set to vote on planned unit development rezoning for a 43-acre mixed-use development on Pecue Lane. Pecue Place would be built near Interstate 10 and would include 1.2 million square feet of office and retail space. Staffers have recommended approving that project, along with the first phase of the Long Farm development, near the intersection of Barringer Foreman Road and Jefferson Highway. Also on the agenda is a parking waiver for the old Blockbuster Video building at Highland Road and State Street. Plans are to put a Five Guys Burgers and Fries in the space, along with a Momma Goldberg's Deli. are to put a Five Guys Burgers and Fries in the space, along with a Momma Goldberg's Deli."

Businessreport.com

the Planning Commission is set to vote on planned unit development rezoning for a 43-acre mixed-use development on Pecue Lane. Pecue Place would be built near Interstate 10 and would include 1.2 million square feet of office and retail space.

Anyone see any renderings of this property? Which side of the interstate is this supposed to be?

And how wise is it to build this on Pecue (assuming it's close to the interstate) when they haven't decided on the different renderings for the Pecue exit on I-10?

They all sound promising, I like that part east of I-110 especially.

I'll say the same thing I said in the other thread: the Elysian will NOT attract decent people. It's in a crack and hobo infested neighborhood and the rental rates will range from $200/month to a $1000. This will be a epic fail and it'll be another eyesore along the interstate (directly across from the rundown apartments on the other side of I-110, the lake apartments I think is the name.

Edited by itsjustme2

I'll say the same thing I said in the other thread: the Elysian will NOT attract decent people. It's in a crack and hobo infested neighborhood and the rental rates will range from $200/month to a $1000. This will be a epic fail and it'll be another eyesore along the interstate (directly across from the rundown apartments on the other side of I-110, the lake apartments I think is the name.

How do you define "decent people?"

While the Lake Towers may not be the most attractive high density apartments, they are hardly rundown.....

"OLOL breaks ground on $200 million expansion

Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center will break ground today on a $200 million expansion. The work, set for completion in fall 2013, will add a nine-story tower dedicated for heart and vascular treatment, a Level I trauma center, and an expanded emergency room. The tower will have 330,000 square feet of space and face Essen Lane, while the new trauma center will provide the highest level of care for the most critical cases. The only other Level I trauma centers in Louisiana now are in New Orleans and Shreveport. The new trauma center will be one of the benefits of the partnership between OLOL and LSU Health System, which will have LSU medical students training at the hospital. Once the expansion is completed, the OLOL emergency room will be the size of two football fields, with a pad that can support two helicopters. The work is projected to create 2,065 construction jobs."

Here's a nice big rendering.

POW52411-OLOL.jpg

$200 rent

Crackhead neighborhood

You do the math my friend.

You understand why the rent is that cheap for a few units right? I'll assume you don't know, but I won't spend the time to explain it to you. Let's just say it revolves around money and almost every new dense urban development in and around downtown will be following the same HUD economic model.

You do the math my friend.