Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

• 1 month later...

"Olinde property sold for Mid City housing

A 4.1-acre tract of land in Mid City that used to be the site of an Olinde furniture warehouse has been purchased by a New Orleans-based affordable housing group. The Gulf Coast Housing Partnership paid $750,000 for the land along 19th Street between North and Gayosa streets. Cornelius Payne, project manager for Gulf Coast Housing, says the plan is to build a 32-unit townhome development that would offer amenities such as a playground and community center. Payne says the unnamed development would be affordable rental, with options to buy. Samuel Sanders, of the Mid City Redevelopment Alliance, says the exact combination of units is still being discussed, but the development will include a mix of sizes having from one to four bedrooms. The project could be built in phases, since part of the property has an empty warehouse that will likely be torn down, Sanders says. The plan is to start construction by the end of the year, Payne says. Gulf Coast Housing is also involved in building a 53-unit condominium development at the corner of Highland Road and Terrace Avenue. Payne says that project is still in the permitting phase, but work should begin in the next two to three months."

businessreport.com

OLOL expansion to have $460 million impact

Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center is planning a nine-story tower on Essen Lane. The building would include a trauma center and serve the hospital's heart patients. Construction is expected to start in May 2011.

from 2theadvocate.com

I drove by today and thought maybe it was going to go between margraet and hennessey/suma. Currently there is a one story building. Also the rendering has it inbetween 2 multistory buildings.

While were talking about that location, I see the traffic cones all along Essen. Why? Are the repaving the street? Didn't think it needed it. Would much rather have some other parts of BR repaved or widened.

• 2 weeks later...

anyone?

i work around that area and i dont think they're repaving the entire road, just that one particular section.. for whatever reason that portion of the road had what looked like ordinary street tar on top of it for some time, while the rest of the road looked normal as it does now.. i think its just a quick fix, nothing drastic.. atleast i hope not cause construction on the road could cause some rediculous traffic problems in the evenings

i work around that area and i dont think they're repaving the entire road, just that one particular section.. for whatever reason that portion of the road had what looked like ordinary street tar on top of it for some time, while the rest of the road looked normal as it does now.. i think its just a quick fix, nothing drastic.. atleast i hope not cause construction on the road could cause some rediculous traffic problems in the evenings

I agree about the traffic, but construction cones stretch from the I10 exit all the way down Essen to the Essen/Perkins intersection. There's a reason why they were placed all along Essen.

Looks like Essen Lane is destined to be the Widest surface street in BR...

Looks like the 9-story tower will be fronting Essen between the Mary Bird Cancer Center & the parking deck; like itsjustme2 said it mostly parking lot and a single story building

olol040711.jpg

No doubt the 9-story tower will be a nice addition along the Essen corridor with the 12-story Shaw HQ's & 13-story Jacobs...I just wish they would bring back the plans for this...8-story Summa Tower that would have been only a stones throw away...I have never seen a project come so close to begining with ground-breaking/shovel ceremony & some equipment priming the lot; then to say it would only be 3 stories bec of lack of demand for office space; a victim of the economy; then fold altogether..this would have been a nice addition

spatzdevelopmentvuoy2.jpg

• Like 1