Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

Bringing New Life

Cheyenne Construction latest to relocate on Government Street

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/9787522.html

Plans to put in a second floor in the front of the 1920's era building and use about 2,000 square feet for a 26-foot atrium lobby, conference room and offices.

Providence Engineering completed its renovation last year of a large brick building on Main Street, just outside of downtown.

Saurage & Co. Realtors is marketing the old Valley House Hotel, a turn of the 20th century blacks-only hotel on Government next to the railroad tracks.

Stalwarts, such as Bengal Glass, and relative newcomers, such as Circa and Big Baby'z, all serve to give life to the stretch of Government west of Park, which was almost empty 10 years ago.

They would like to see Government converted to a three-lane road to slow traffic and make it more pedestrian-friendly.

This is all GREAT news for Mid-City. I can agree with Government being 3 lanes. I think it would make it alot more pedestrian friendly and I think it would have a better chance of becoming more of a "Magazine St." atmosphere. I'd love to see something done with that old hotel. I think anything that can be done with the whole area between 110 and lets say Acadian will be more than welcomed by all. I think the train tracks are an issue tho. I really wish the city could just do away with that set of tracks and the set downtown.

^ Me too :rolleyes: So that was the reason for the hold-up.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/9842281.html

091807allrightmapqt6.jpg

Central Parking Corp. is selling the Allright surface parking lot at Third and Florida streets downtown.

Daniel Poulin, a broker with Sealy & Company Inc. who is representing Central Parking for C.B. Richard Ellis, said there are about five offers on the property from developers with immediate plans, those with an intent to buy and hold and others who would continue the site

Edited by richyb83

I can't imagine just what they would put on that corner. It is a small area. In my opinion to get the greatest use with it they would almost have to do something verticle. I think it's to small to go to tall so something around 8-10 or 12 would probably be best suited for that site. Something at that height would certianly "bulk" up the area tho. It would be a nice fill-in building.

Construction is starting on the new City Plaza II and it shouldn't be long before we see framework rising. Just across 5th Street, the area along Convention Street from the "pocket park" over to 6th street has been fenced off and the ground cleared.

Anyone here know what is going up here?

Edited by fla_tiger

Construction is starting on the new City Plaza II and it shouldn't be long before we see framework rising. Just across 5th Street, the area along Convention Street from the "pocket park" over to 6th street has been fenced off and the ground cleared.

Anyone here know what is going up here?

WOOHOO!!! The south side of the CBD is going to be one big construction zone with II City Plaza and the Courthouse. We will have 2 structures going up at the same time, exciting times for downtown. Actually if you look at it we have construction going on, on both sides of downtown with the parking garage on one end and II City Plaza and Courthouse on the other end. If we can get RiverPlace going we'd have it everywhere.

Thanks for the update flatiger! Looking forward to taking some new construction pics in the up-coming months!! Not sure what's going on down Convention Street?? What was over there before?? It's not Trahan's block is it?? Another parking lot possibly??

You are right twstd, this is exciting to see two nice sized projects so close to each other(only a block way) going up at the same time! This will definetly add some bulk/density to the southern-end of the CBD.

Hey Dan, at the International Festival were you able to see any progress at the New Courthouse site thru the green barrier fences??

Thanks for the update flatiger! Looking forward to taking some new construction pics in the up-coming months!! Not sure what's going on down Convention Street?? What was over there before?? It's not Trahan's block is it?? Another parking lot possibly??

You are right twstd, this is exciting to see two nice sized projects so close to each other(only a block way) going up at the same time! This will definetly add some bulk/density to the southern-end of the CBD.

Hey Dan, at the International Festival were you able to see any progress at the New Courthouse site thru the green barrier fences??

I sure hope it's not another surface parking lot. We have way to many of them downtown to begin with, not to mention they are extremely ugly!!!!

I saw that too drew; I was wondering if that would ever get offf the ground??

I could hardly believe all the activity going-on downtown last Friday night! Coming off at the Convention Street exit at I-110 there started to appear construction barriers to the left everywhere. 1st- at the corner of Sixth Street that was once a pocket-park; the next block II City Plaza was also barracaded; taking the left down Fourth Street to North Blvd.(the next block); the new Courthouse looks like they have some reinforcments going into the ground.

The real activity came taking a right on Third Street. In the open-air there were "Live" bands and music on each side for two blocks; people all over the place from the balconies and sidewalks! The one thing the Coca-Cola sign was not on(working??) Further down Third it was more quiet; but then you see the historic Kress Bldg. finished being gutted; ready to start. With the residential projects coming Third Street will be even more vibrant!

Seeing the activity on Lafayette Street at the Hilton Capitol Center and Shaw Center was nice too.

Edited by richyb83

^ :lol: That's funny drew; we all like to see new development here on UP! It would a be nice if some developer could "sneak" something on us; a suprise every once-in-awhile would be nice! I think your probably right; probably an overflow surface parking lot. The new Courthouse will probably make parking tighter around there too.

Commercial projects planned for growing Howell Place.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/10316897.html

Plans to start work by the end of the year on an assisted living facility, mini-warehouse complex, medical offices and a health facility. Preis said the latest project is among 10 that Howell Place developers have closed over the past three months, including four new hotels.

Okay I give in, where is this Howell Place? I know it's in NBR but I have no place where. I need to go ride by this and see what all the hype is about. It sounds like a great development for NBR.

Harding Blvd, between I-110 and Plank. It's a real boon for NBR!

Has anything been done about Scotlandville? As I recall, the area was blighted (to say the least) when we used to pass through it on 61. I know that the petrochemical smells emanating from the plants in Alsen might make this area impossible to redevelop, but I just wonder if anything could happen here.

Has anything been done about Scotlandville? As I recall, the area was blighted (to say the least) when we used to pass through it on 61. I know that the petrochemical smells emanating from the plants in Alsen might make this area impossible to redevelop, but I just wonder if anything could happen here.

ohhhh nooo thats not the plants in alsen....thats exxon on the other side of us that give off all them bad smells..they brought all the land from hollywood all the way down till u get to the burger king on scenic..all but the people who refuse to move which is like which is like 20 to 30 out of a possible 400 to 500 people..when u ride on the interstate and look at the strip infront exoon all u see is streets with open land where houses use to be and it makes the city look real country..I hate when they buy people out ..or force people out and don't end up using the land....the airport does it to.....they brought out half of the northeastern part of scotlandville and didn't end up using the last and tried to sell it back but not to many people are intersted in buying it...it was a neighborhood..now it's jus land in the middle of no where..

ohhhh nooo thats not the plants in alsen....thats exxon on the other side of us that give off all them bad smells..they brought all the land from hollywood all the way down till u get to the burger king on scenic..all but the people who refuse to move which is like which is like 20 to 30 out of a possible 400 to 500 people..when u ride on the interstate and look at the strip infront exoon all u see is streets with open land where houses use to be and it makes the city look real country..I hate when they buy people out ..or force people out and don't end up using the land....the airport does it to.....they brought out half of the northeastern part of scotlandville and didn't end up using the last and tried to sell it back but not to many people are intersted in buying it...it was a neighborhood..now it's jus land in the middle of no where..

It's called a green belt. They started buying up the houses thirty years ago before they put that Tank farm in place right along Senic. Before they built that, there was 150 yards between the highway and the refinery. It was good timing, because ten years later there was a massive explosion at Exxon. Some of you might remember the 1989 Explosion. The houses would have been okay, but it would have definately given a scare to anyone living nearby. Hell, I heard it and I was in Brusly. There would have been a ridiculous amount of panic for a few hours during all the chaos.

I think people don't realize how close Baton Rouge came to burining down that day. They actuallly had to pump water from the Mississippi River to put out the fire. It was started by a delivery truck that wasn't cautious and hit a pipe rack overhead, which ignited. Within minutes, many of those tanks in that tank farm exploded. That's why those tank farms take up so much space- they have to be far away from each other for fire safety.

It's a good thing that houses are no longer there. Since the 1950s that neighborhood was in decline, and the few thriving parts were difficult sells because the plant was so close. I had a relative that was bought out. He was able to negotiate a pretty good price for his home, or so he claims.

They sold some of it back for retail development, which has only been a partial success. Some houses still remain, but most of them are owned by Exxon and used to bring temporary workers/engineers in town to the refinery.

^And the airport buys up neighborhoods because of noise and birds. Nothing can be built on that land because of noise restrictions, and airports also have to be a "bird-free" zone, so it's most effective just to buy it up and leave it vacant. Happens everywhere.

It's called a green belt. They started buying up the houses thirty years ago before they put that Tank farm in place right along Senic. Before they built that, there was 150 yards between the highway and the refinery. It was good timing, because ten years later there was a massive explosion at Exxon. Some of you might remember the 1989 Explosion. The houses would have been okay, but it would have definately given a scare to anyone living nearby. Hell, I heard it and I was in Brusly. There would have been a ridiculous amount of panic for a few hours during all the chaos.

I think people don't realize how close Baton Rouge came to burining down that day. They actuallly had to pump water from the Mississippi River to put out the fire. It was started by a delivery truck that wasn't cautious and hit a pipe rack overhead, which ignited. Within minutes, many of those tanks in that tank farm exploded. That's why those tank farms take up so much space- they have to be far away from each other for fire safety.

It's a good thing that houses are no longer there. Since the 1950s that neighborhood was in decline, and the few thriving parts were difficult sells because the plant was so close. I had a relative that was bought out. He was able to negotiate a pretty good price for his home, or so he claims.

They sold some of it back for retail development, which has only been a partial success. Some houses still remain, but most of them are owned by Exxon and used to bring temporary workers/engineers in town to the refinery.

I remember that explosion. I was actually on I-10 crossing the river. We heard it but was not sure what happened. When we made it to Houston, we saw the story on the news. Folks all over the city felt or heard the explosion.

Buying up the land along near Exxon from Scenic over to 110 has been a good thing. It provides a nice green buffer for the plant. They have planted trees and they keep the grass cut.

^Wow Bryde, that must have been crazy/scary driving over the Bridge when that happened! I was taking a nap when the explosion happened; I thought it was a Thunder-Storm for a second. The windows rattled; roughly 11-12 miles away.

Almost wanted to start a new Photo Construction thread, what do yall think?? LT got the ball rollin' yesterday.

The close proximity of construction II City Plaza(left) and new Courthouse(right)

oct07027bn3.jpg

^Wow Bryde, that must have been crazy/scary driving over the Bridge when that happened! I was taking a nap when the explosion happened; I thought it was a Thunder-Storm for a second. The windows rattled; roughly 11-12 miles away.

Almost wanted to start a new Photo Construction thread, what do yall think?? LT got the ball rollin' yesterday.

The close proximity of construction II City Plaza(left) and new Courthouse(right)

oct07027bn3.jpg

II City Plaza is going to be right up against City Plaza. I find that amazing how they can build something so close to an existing building like that.