Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

^^ I hope not. This was supposed to be done last year. Remember, in BR a lot of the setbacks are at the street and not the street right of way. At this rate, Perkins Rowe and all other new developments will be built at the setback of the old street and will now be built right on Perkins when it is widened. This will prevent future widening if it needs to be done in a decade or so. BR and New Orleans seem to have the narrowest right of ways.....go figure.

That Wells Fargo building/Garage is awefully big to be right on the street like that. When Perkins is widened, the sidewalks will be at the edge of the right of way (about where the power poles are in that photo).

I hope it doesn't creat a wall that visually shuts out the rest of Baton Rouge from Perkins Rowe. Kirby Smith sort of did that for LSU and Old South 30 years ago.

Edited by brresident

They have some tricky curves along the lakes; I'm glad it sounded like everybody was O.K.

oh yeah, nobody got hurt and no vehicles were totaled. literally, i think i was going 25, which proved too fast for that curve on a wet day. but i didn't get a ticket and the wreck was listed as "unavoidable". saweeeet! ;)

Updated Downtown Development:

North Blvd. Town Square improvements include the following

* II City Plaza office tower(including parking garage)- Convention Street at Fourth Street (begin April 07')

* New 19th Judicial Courthouse-North Blvd./St.Louis Street @Municipal Bldg. parking lot (begin March 07')

* Grounds at the Old State Capitol are under design and development

* Next phase of River Center includes the conversion of the exhibition hall into a 32,000sq.ft. ball room; as well as the new atrium connecting the existing structure

*Next phase of the Shaw Center for the Arts will include the conversion of the Old Strobe's site at the corner of Third Street and North Blvd. (begin 1st quarter 07') and an additional phase that includes residential and retail development along Third Street.

* 7-story 92 room Hotel King renovation set to open late 07' or early 08'.

*Potential development site of the existing Pelican Homestead Building

And......

River Place will begin in early 07' "a Big Time GO" :yahoo:

The A.Z. Young Bldg. will be demolished adjacent to the Welcome/Vistor's Center and the space will be used as green space and proposed amphitheatre. A public parking gargage will be constructed on the corner of North Street and Lafayette Street , the gargage will be used for the visitors to the Welcome Center and general public parking.

Keep your eyes on the old Advocate site being demolished. A 25-30 story mixed -use tower could be in the works???? :shades:

Updated Downtown Development:

*Next phase of the Shaw Center for the Arts will include the conversion of the Old Strobe's site at the corner of Third Street and North Blvd. (begin 1st quarter 07') and an additional phase that includes residential and retail development along Third Street.

Richy, is this the boarded up corner building across from Subway? I thought that was Sear's Roebuck.

Richy, is this the boarded up corner building across from Subway? I thought that was Sear's Roebuck.

Yes Bryde, that's the one. But I wasn't sure about the Sears Roebuck??

****New 8-story Office Building Planned for Essen !!!!!!!

http://www.businessreport.com/dailyreport.cfm

Edited by richyb83

^That's the new 8 story?Yah! I really didn't think that they were serious about that, but it's really happening.

Dan, I believe this is a totally different 8-story project on Essen. Wampold has long talked about an 8-story campanion office tower for Shaw Plaza. This would be located north of I-10. Still waiting on that one...he's got so much on his plate it may have been put "on hold"?

This is "Another" 8-story tower going south of I-10. This is new stuff!! Essen is going to have a nice little mid-rise skyline on the horizon.

Thanks for the aerial too! :thumbsup:

Edited by richyb83

Richy you always seem to get me excited when I read your posts about future development in Baton Rouge. Thanks buddy!

Omg 2007 is going to be a breakthrough year for Baton Rouge!!!!

No problem Bobby. You are very welcome! I am glad to share the enthusiasm !

Yes 2007 is going to be a break-thru year !!!!!

Edited by richyb83

Dan, I believe this is a totally different 8-story project on Essen. Wampold has long talked about an 8-story campanion office tower for Shaw Plaza. This would be located north of I-10. Still waiting on that one...he's got so much on his plate it may have been put "on hold"?

This is "Another" 8-story tower going south of I-10. This is new stuff!! Essen is going to have a nice little mid-rise skyline on the horizon.

Thanks for the aerial too! :thumbsup:

Well that makes it even better! A totally new and unexpected midrise. :D All they need is some fancy shopping in that immediate area and it really could become an "uptown" or "uptown #2" considering that Perkins Rowe might become uptown #1.

Unbelievable Dan...you are as sharp as a "Tack". Thanks for posting the rendering, interesting location behind 13-story Jacobs too! A little Essen density?? The second floor looks short; but the 8th floor looks vaulted higher. It would look nice Downtown, but it fits the Essen corridor well.

I wonder when they will begin to build the 5 to 6-story offices in the Business Park @ Towne Center near the new Residence Inn ???

How did yall like my 1st colored-development aerial for Towne Center area?? A few days back on last page (44)..this is page 45BTW.

Post #868

Edited by richyb83

Unbelievable Dan...you are as sharp as a "Tack". Thanks for posting the rendering, interesting location behind 13-story Jacobs too! A little Essen density?? The second floor looks short; but the 8th floor looks vaulted higher. It would look nice Downtown, but it fits the Essen corridor well.

Downtown just can't get a break can it. Well just think every space left open is a chance to get something bigger. :)

I wonder when they will begin to build the 5 to 6-story offices in the Business Park @ Towne Center near the new Residence Inn ???

5 to 6 stories?! :o Wow I didn't know they were going that big. B.R. really is growing into a legit mid sized city. As my mom would say, Baton Rouge is poppin'! :D

How did yall like my 1st colored-development aerial for Towne Center area?? A few days back on last page (44)..this is page 45BTW.

Post #868

I think it looks great Richy. It's neat to see were everthing will go. The Book-A-Million store is great as it will be the closest one to my house. My suggestion to you though, is to use the line tool to make the lines extra straight.

With all these high/midrises someones going to have to give a call to Emporis. :D

Edited by dan326

Thanks Dan.

It is not as easy to get to the local editorial staff for Emporis as it used to be; I was trying to do that myself.

They still have II City Plaza at 14-stories instead of the 16 or 17 it will be. They don't list the New 19th Judicial Courthouse. I'm still not sure if they decided 10 or 11 floors?? RiverPlace seems to be a mystery eventhough the developer told me 30-stories.

Soon we will have to let them know another 30-story(25?) will be at the Advocate site.

Still waiting to see if the approved 18-story condo at Southgate Towers will happen after the completion of the 10-story tower begining.

Edited by richyb83

Lafayette Street, Third Street, and River Road was a festive atmosphere tonight. There were party's all around there. The new Hilton Capitol Center had alot of activity too. Parked cars all over the place. North Blvd. and Third Street look great with all the Christmas decorations.

And fireworks over at Port Allen Landing added to it all.

Starbucks will be in the 8 story Essen building.

No I believe Starbucks will be down Essen a few blocks on a different property.

Edited by richyb83