Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

Thanks again very much for posting. You beat me to this too. Lets keep this BR Forum rollin thru these slumbering Winter months!!

More great news for downtown and North Blvd.!!! To buy the entire block will surely make this an interesting development to follow in 08'. I am a little suprised they want to raze the building when the tenant leases expire at the end of the year; eventhough it is an ugly building with those funny looking windows :shades: I can see that being a nice mid-rise mixed-use building with residential being on top.

I am curious as to the status of another Trahan property; the Jumonville Warehouse Bldg. across from the Hilton next to the Hotel King?? It's supposed to be a mixed-use too.

A quote of myself from July 18th

I've some found information on a new shopping center called Acadian Village. It will be located in the area boarded by Interstate 10, Acadian Thruway, and Perkins Road. It's were the Books-a Million is and the Wal-mart used to be. It will be demolised to to make 130,000 sq ft shopping center. I would have gotten some pictures, but it won't let me copy the address. It says in the arcticle that it is an upscale retail center so it should be nice.

Here's renderings and the official description.

untitledwz7.png

untitled1is5.png

untitled12bh8.png

untitled123md5.png

untitled1234qc8.png

Thanks for posting all this Dan. Good to hear from you again. I actually forgot to sketch this nice development in the updated aerial a couple weeks back, I wanted to add this in sooner or later. I like that 3rd rendering alot.

Camm Morton is one innovative developer I was glad that moved here in BR after several sucessful stints developing other cities in California and No.Carolina. Renovations of the Hilton Capitol Center downtown and Bonne Carre business center were brilliant ideas. And looking into developing the old Advocate Site and reconfiguring Laurel Tower into condo's for young professional twenty & thirty something's will only add to the appeal of loft living downtown.

Acadian Village is at a perfect location in the middle of all the action. The residential will set it apart.

Just today my teacher was telling us to leave Baton Rouge and Louisiana all together because of lack of opportunities

I hate this kind of mindset, but don't feel bad... we have it up here as well. No matter how prosperous any of our Louisiana cities become, there are always people out there who think like this.

The most destructive thing ANYONE can do to this state is to encourage residents to LEAVE.

Well said Brian. People in authoritative roles giving advice like that to students is like poison.

People like that generally think the grass is greener on the other side, but not watering the grass where they are. No place is perfect; I can understand the frustrations with Louisiana's status quo attitude. Have BIG ole Texas as our neighbor doesn't help. But the negativity is a hinderance in moving forward.

An "Ugly Award" *UPDATE* in this month's issue of 225 Baton Rouge's entertainment magazine.

The old Prince Murat(Ramada Inn) off of Nicholson Drive has been bull-dozed. Atlanta based Palmetto Partners plans to build a 20,000 sq.ft. retail shopping development complete with 300 upscale apartments for the "young and restless" crowd; bridging the gap between downtown and LSU. They hope to have construction complete by 2008 to take advantage of city-parish tax breaks.

There is a sketched rendering in the magazine. Unable to find on web to post here. Looks very contemporary with lots of glass. The residential looks tiered with 3, 4, and 5 floors above a parking/retail level. Rozas Ward Architects did the rendering; they are a firm out of NOLA I believe.

I am in favor of the changes being proposed. I especially like the proposal to require developers to plant tree's in the front yard of new homes.

Proposal will change signs of the time

City zoning panel to recommend height adjustments

A city-parish advisory board is recommending new regulations that will mean smaller signs for most local businesses, and thicker roads and more landscaping in new residential subdivisions.

Yet another hotel for B.R.

Cane's sells Bankers site; hotel planned there

Raising Cane's has sold a 1.4-acre lot on Bankers Avenue to a group of developers who plan to build a Candlewood Suites hotel on the property. Bankers Avenue Investments paid $744,000 for the property in a deal that closed Friday. The investors and developers behind Bankers Avenue are the same ones building a Holiday Inn Express on Siegen Lane, says Mark Hebert, who represented both the buyer and the seller. Two years ago Cane's reached a deal to buy the property behind its Corporate Boulevard location. There were plans to put the company's headquarters there, but Cane's rapid growth and concerns about parking halted those plans.

Edited by dan326

And this happens to be the 1.4 acres on the left that Raising Cane's sold to the hotel. I believe a Howard Johnson's motel stood there for many years before Cane's $purchased it; and tore it down. It's good the vacant land will turn over. That's 4 new hotels in the works for the College/I-12/Corporate area. Currently Raising Cane's corp. offices are located downtown in One American Place. If they continue to grow??? maybe the can re-locate to the mixed-use tower at the old Advocate Site??

batonrouge026vb2.jpg

^^^

That sucks. I kind of wanted more office space on College/Corporate and Essen lane with the hotel business going to Downtown. I downtown could use the overnight traffic and Corporate could benefit from less night traffic and neat looking mid-rise office buildings.

Either way, I am glad the old crappy motel is gone. If only they can move the Waffle House into a more attractive building and give this property frontage on College Drive.

Any idea where Cane's is planning on their new office? How's this: Shaw and Cane's team up and become signature tenates on a new 50 story building downtown. They are both rumored to be out-growing their current location.

Too bad Shaw is probably just going to add to it's current building or make a nother mid-rise nearby.

Any chance for office development going to the Picardy overpass area? It just seems ripe for that. Easy access to the interstate, nearby hospitols and housing. It's almost like there is too much retail there. A nice mid-rise would look really cool right there next to the freeway. So much retail there...need a mix of offices and eventually residential space.

Edited by brresident

Any idea where Cane's is planning on their new office? How's this: Shaw and Cane's team up and become signature tenates on a new 50 story building downtown. They are both rumored to be out-growing their current location.

I can see it already. :D

untitledul6.png

Also work has started on the Cambria Suites. There was a bulldozer at the site with all the parking lot torn up. To bad the sound wall is in the way. :( The other day I thoguht work had begon on the W aloft, but it was a flase alarm, they were just changing the ad on the billboard.

Edited by dan326

That's the 3rd Hotel in a row mentioned to go up in the College/I-10/Corporate and be 5-stories. (Cambria Suites, Candlewood Suites and W a Loft) With the parking problems around Esplanade I don't understand why W aLoft won't just go more vertical??? It would complement the Marriott nicely. And a nice 10-story mid-rise office could go on Hilton Ave. across the street.

I have been waiting to see when Shaw's next building phase a couple of blocks on Essen will begin?? There is an open tract ready to go..but it will only be 8-stories; 2/3's as tall as the 12-story Shaw Plaza now on Essen. The announcement of the proposed 8-story tower on Summa Ave. caught me by suprise; it should look cool behind the 13-story Jacobs Plaza.

Unfortunately I doubt the Advocate site tower will be 30-stories; but it should be very nice.

Edited by richyb83

^^^where exactly is the new Shaw building going to be?

In other news: Richard Preis is delaying the next delay for River Place until the Summer. Here is the article:

Downtown condo construction should start in early summer

Richard Preis, who is developing the River Place condominium tower downtown says problems with rising post-hurricane construction costs have been resolved and he should start firming up reservations for units in the next month or two. "We should start construction in the early summer, with about 18 months to complete the project," Preis says. River Place will have 119 units and will be Baton Rouge's first vertical neighborhood, Preis says.

complete: http://www.businessreport.com/dailyReportArchiveResults.cfm

Edited by brresident

I don't understand why W aLoft won't just go more vertical??? It would complement the Marriott nicely. And a nice 10-story mid-rise office could go on Hilton Ave. across the street.

Well, that DOES sound good, but there's a problem. In order for them to go more vertical they would need to decide on building a full-fledged W hotel rather than a W Aloft hotel. A boutique hotel is commonly 3-6 stories tall, but more destination-type hotels are built taller. Once you get over 6 floors, it no longer has that "boutique" image and they'd have to stray away from their Aloft brand for Baton Rouge.

^^^where exactly is the new Shaw building going to be?

In other news: Richard Preis is delaying the next delay for River Place until the Summer. Here is the article:

Downtown condo construction should start in early summer

Richard Preis, who is developing the River Place condominium tower downtown says problems with rising post-hurricane construction costs have been resolved and he should start firming up reservations for units in the next month or two. "We should start construction in the early summer, with about 18 months to complete the project," Preis says. River Place will have 119 units and will be Baton Rouge's first vertical neighborhood, Preis says.

Oh god, I thought it was starting in the spring! I really hate to be pessimistic annd realize that it probably isn't the easiest project like Preis said, but they've delayed this thing about 10 million times! Well, as long as it's said to still be built I guess I'm happy. And just think, this will make one heck of an artcile for Emporis. :D

Unfortunately I doubt the Advocate site tower will be 30-stories; but it should be very nice.

Why do you say that?

Edited by dan326

^^^ Because just from the way developer Cam Morton was talking about it. I'm not sure what the final plan will be. Dan, maybe you should try contacting Stephen Moret from BRAC and get the scoop and lobby for a gleaming 30-story skyscraper.

The delay has been delayed huh?? The wait is at an all time high; but the finished product will make it worth it. The developer has too much ca$h invested to turn back. In the meantime I'll enjoy all the construction about ready to take place in the Spring in the southern CBD. I wish the 17-story(vaulted penthouse and spire) II City Plaza were taller but it will have have a nice impact on the skyline. The architecture won't be BR bland and it will look great a night-time too! The new Courthouse will be near by and change the North Blvd. streetscape. The dominos are falling downtown. So there will already be cranes up and running before RiverPlace finally gets started.

The tract of land for the 8-story Shaw Bldg. on Essen is between the State Archives Bldg. and United Plaza Blvd.

Edited by richyb83

$100 Million on the way from improvements to Metro Airport

Council gets airport deal

By SCOTT DYER

Advocate staff writer

Published: Feb 8, 2007

A Metro Council panel signed off Wednesday on applications to secure about $100 million in state and federal grants for construction projects at Baton Rouge Metro Airport.

The full council is slated to take final action next week on the proposed grants, which include the relocation of Blount and Plank roads in order to establish a 1,000-foot buffer required by the Federal Aviation Administration at the northeast end of the main runway. The buffer will also allow room for a new, upgraded lighting system at the end of the runway.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/5681436.html

I read somewhere that there would be a shopping center going up on the tract bounded by West Lee Drive, Ben Hur Road, and Burbank.

When is that supposed to be built?

It's pathetic that there is no easy shopping near LSU. It seems like when I was in college that we had to go to College drive for everything. The nearest mall is on Bluebonnet, which is un-drivable most of the day. I know a wal mart is going to come up on Highland, which was already a parking lot btw Lee and LSU....

Anyone have info on that. I think it was some kind of strip mall thing. Hopefully bigger than "burbank crossing", but smaller than "Towne Center". A lifestyle center with open air shopping, billiards clubs, and restarants would work well near LSU. I would have rather seen one of those where Southgate Towers is.

Oh..FYI...no 18 story tower for Southgate. There will be a hotel soon, followed by another 8 or 9 story condo tower starting next year and that is it. The back side will retain the unfinished look. I officially hate that development now. They obviously want too much money for their residences and retail space. Walk On's is probably the only good thing to come out of that development so far....and it is going downhill right now with poor managment, low quality food, and slow service.

Edited by brresident

Oh god, I thought it was starting in the spring! I really hate to be pessimistic annd realize that it probably isn't the easiest project like Preis said, but they've delayed this thing about 10 million times! Well, as long as it's said to still be built I guess I'm happy. And just think, this will make one heck of an artcile for Emporis. :D

I haven't seen anything delayed that long and still be built. They have been talking about this for 3 or 4 years now and have delayed for half that time.

They have spent too much money on the land to leave it as a parking lot. They kind of have to build on it now, and will have to build a high rise condo tower or a mid-rise office/hotel to make money. Something will happen there either way...just don't get your hopes up. I don't think the 30+ condo tower is going to happen. I hope it does, though.

It's like the Ford pasture. They paid too much for it to sit on it. They probably couldn't get their money back, so they are going to build. If they do residential, then they have to have some serious density to make money. I think JTS wanted to do a Perkins Rowe style development on Ford pasture...and there is just not support or zoning for that. I expect some high end condos there combined with heavy retail. They can't make money just on houses.

Richard Preis can't make money building a 1-6 story office building or parking garage instead of river place. They have to go big or dont' go at all. The problem is that I don't see very much market for more than 50 or so condo units at that price range downtown. He will probably have to delay the project again and redesign with office and residential space combined.

Edited by brresident

I read somewhere that there would be a shopping center going up on the tract bounded by West Lee Drive, Ben Hur Road, and Burbank.

When is that supposed to be built?

It's pathetic that there is no easy shopping near LSU. It seems like when I was in college that we had to go to College drive for everything. The nearest mall is on Bluebonnet, which is un-drivable most of the day. I know a wal mart is going to come up on Highland, which was already a parking lot btw Lee and LSU....

Anyone have info on that. I think it was some kind of strip mall thing. Hopefully bigger than "burbank crossing", but smaller than "Towne Center". A lifestyle center with open air shopping, billiards clubs, and restarants would work well near LSU. I would have rather seen one of those where Southgate Towers is.

Oh..FYI...no 18 story tower for Southgate. There will be a hotel soon, followed by another 8 or 9 story condo tower starting next year and that is it. The back side will retain the unfinished look. I officially hate that development now. They obviously want too much money for their residences and retail space. Walk On's is probably the only good thing to come out of that development so far....and it is going downhill right now with poor managment, low quality food, and slow service.

The place you are making reference to is called Arlington Creek or something like that. It has been mentioned here in the BR Forum a couple of times.

The place you are making reference to is called Arlington Creek or something like that. It has been mentioned here in the BR Forum a couple of times.

I don't know if this project is news to you guys. Living in New Orleans, I only follow that forum. It came up today on bidclerk.com

Project ID: Project Name:

550152 Available to subscribers only. Sign Up Now!

Project Type: Building Use: Reported: Status: Private / Public: Location:

New Construction

Site Work Multi-Residential

Parking Garage

Swimming Pools

Fitness / Rec Centers 02/08/2007 Design Private Baton Rouge, LA

Project Address: Available to subscribers only. Sign Up Now! Bid Date: Est. Start Date:

June 2007

Description: Project Documents (0):

Available to subscribers only. Sign Up Now!

Site work and new construction of a residential complex in Baton Rouge. Design plans are calling for a 36-story tower to house 119 one, two and three-bedroom condominiums above a two-story lobby, a pool, a fitness center and a parking structure.

Construction is expected to commence in early summer 2007. Interested parties should direct inquriies to the developer. Map: Aerial Photo:

Divisions of Work:

General Requirements, Site Work -- Excavation, Paving, Landscaping, Grading, Fences & Gates, Termite Control, Concrete -- Cast-In-Place Concrete, Concrete Formwork, Concrete Reinforcement, Masonry / Stone -- CMU, Metals -- Structural Steel, Metal Decking, Metal Fabrications, Metal Framing, Wood / Plastics -- Carpentry, Casework, Millwork, Wood Trusses, Thermal / Moisture -- Roofing, Insulation, Caulking & Sealants, Flashing & Sheet Metal, Waterproofing, Doors / Windows -- Metal Doors & Frames, Wood Doors, Glazing, Access Doors, Sliding Doors, Hardware, Finishes -- Drywall, Plaster, Stucco, Paint, Tile, Carpet, Hardwood Flooring, VCT, Specialties -- Signage, Toilet & Bath Accessories, Fire Extinguishers, Mailboxes, Equipment -- Residential Appliances, Security Entrance Systems, Mechanical -- HVAC, Plumbing, Fire Protection, Electrical -- Wiring, Lighting, Telephone/Data Systems, Grounding