Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

Does anyone know what they are building by the Burger King over by Lobdell/Jefferson, across the street from the new bank and kind tucked away behind the Baskin Robbins? I could be wrong [maybe it's a street over] but I drove out there the other day and though I saw something new going up like apartments or something.

Edited by bluff2085

Thanks richyb, that's it. It's looking pretty nice, that area of town is really bulking up.

Yes it really is building up. A great location too near the center of BR. Also alot land has been cleared on Jefferson Hwy. on the other side of CAMD(adjacent to Towne Center). It's going to be condo's called "The Enclave" and it's going to be a large development. I forgot exactly how many units.

^No problem!

Edited by richyb83

I've seen that clearing, too. Any renderings? I'm gonna assume the Enclave will rise/sell quickly! It's like developers can't afford to leave this land untouched. It's also amazing how that chunk has become such a draw for upscale BR. What's the story behind Cedar Lodge? I know that Corporate did not always connect to Jefferson.

This MAJOR EYE-SORE to the right will soon be HISTORY!!!

This half-finished dormitory on Bluebonnet Blvd. will be converted to a 13-story 336-room hotel.

The City-Parish Planning Commission will consider the propsal at the Jan 22nd meeting.

It is tenatively being called the Bluebonnet Hotel; a major hotel company will sign within the next couple of weeks. The entire 260,000 sq.ft. building will be redone.

snaphappy042pp8.jpg

Another update on Bluebonnet's concrete bohemoth. Wampold says details will come out in mid Feb. and that "work" could start as early as April.

Advocate article

Good news. Thanks for posting. The developers are very wise to keep the height of the structure; even adding a floor! At 13-stories it will be easily seen from I-10/Bluebonnet. The eye-sore will be no more :thumbsup:

The New 13-story Bluebonnet Hotel is located nearby to more new development that will really transform that stretch of the Bluebonnet corridor.

*Perkins Rowe -coming along nicely

*Mall of La. -expansion (begining)

*BR General Med. Ctr. -expansion(nearly complete)

*Picardy extension to Essen (starting mid 07'?)

The widening of I-10 is much needed. It seems that the roadways in Baton Rouge were always underfunded or not funded at all. While cities like Shreveport and Lake Charles got loops, Baton Rouge couldn't even get its interstates widened. Considering how busy I-10 is, I always wondered why I-12 was widened before it.

That's a good question Bobby. It was a tough call; it would have been nice for both to be widened simultaneously, but that never happens, esp. around here. It's mind boggling to see all the growth that has taken place on the Essen, Bluebonnet, and Siegen corridors; yet ole I-10 remains the same. From the split they should widen at least to Siegen on the other side of the new Picardy overpass.

I heard way back when Woody Dumas was Mayor of BR he allowed some of those $$funds for improved roads to go elsewhere. I'm not exactly sure of the reason, or the truth of the matter. But it sure sounded stupid to me.

Thankfully the new administration has created the Green Light Program that has already helped and hopefully continue to give BR some traffic relief.

Edited by richyb83

FedEx regional distribution center on 10 acres of North Harrel's Ferry Rd. east of Sherwood Forest Blvd. recieved approval for a zoning change by Planning and Zoning Commission. The Metro Council will make the final decision on the rezoning at it's Feb.21st meeting.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/5324166.html

Edited by richyb83

52-unit complex luxury condo complex Victory Commons to be built at the Northgate's of Nicholson Drive; across from the Fieldhouse condominiums that is nearing completion; the LSU housing boom continues. Old outdated housing has been getting torn-down.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/business/5331581.html

The Michigan developer is also scouting locations downtown. They are interested in developing property there into office buildings or multi-use project.

*The company is also developing a 300-acre TND Edenborne in Gonzales at I-10/Hwy.44

Edited by richyb83

LSU expanding on second campus three miles away. LSU acquired the 153-acre tract with 13 buildings in the Summer of 05' from the Albemarle chemical company. Only about 25 acres is developed. The South Campus now houses the dental school; Louisiana Business and Technology Center business incubator; National Center for Biomedical Research; Training for counterterrorism training; the Center for Bio-Modular Multi-Scale Systems. The La. National Guard is set to build a joint readiness center this year on 50-acres in cooperation with U.S. Army and Marines. CAMD on Jefferson Hwy. is also considering a move to the South Campus. That still leaves virtually 1/2 the land unspoken for. The main campus is built nearly to full capacity.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/5388446.html

LSU expanding on second campus three miles away. LSU acquired the 153-acre tract with 13 buildings in the Summer of 05' from the Albemarle chemical company. Only about 25 acres is developed. The South Campus now houses the dental school; Louisiana Business and Technology Center business incubator; National Center for Biomedical Research; Training for counterterrorism training; the Center for Bio-Modular Multi-Scale Systems. The La. National Guard is set to build a joint readiness center this year on 50-acres in cooperation with U.S. Army and Marines. CAMD on Jefferson Hwy. is also considering a move to the South Campus. That still leaves virtually 1/2 the land unspoken for. The main campus is built nearly to full capacity.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/5388446.html

It would be really nice if those Gardere/GRSI apartments were torn down. Horrible neighborhood that borders the south campus. Most businesses on GSRI have a huge wall and gate...probably for this reason.

LSU sure is taking over. I wonder how much of that land is protected wetlands.

Edited by brresident

It would be really nice if those Gardere/GRSI apartments were torn down. Horrible neighborhood that borders the south campus. Most businesses on GSRI have a huge wall and gate...probably for this reason.

LSU sure is taking over. I wonder how much of that land is protected wetlands.

Hey, I'm familiar with GSRI. :) I'm doing some business with a firm located on that street. Be working on a project with them for over a year now and will be glad to finally get finished.

Yeah Gardere has gained quite an reputation. It happens to be the worst crime area outside the city limits. The huge 500-acre TND Master Planned community that's along the Bluebonnet Ext./Nicholson has voiced strong concern with connective streets to the Gardere neighborhoods; they were wanting to cut all of the roads off.

A chunk of that land between both campuses is wetland. I'm sure most of it is protected. They still have plenty of room left not to interfere with the wetlands.

Coming along nicely!!! And just started in front of this project will be a new 1/4qtr.-mile median on Stanford Ave/BR Beach(BREC Park). Serving as a traffic calmer to become more pedestrian friendly.

jan30propgf6.jpg

* In other developments... Towne Center at Cedar Lodge is getting a two-story 40,000 sq.ft. Books-A-Million at the open-air shopping center; it will be BR's 3rd location.

Group buys downtown block

Investors consider building residential-commercial space

An investment group bought the entire downtown block surrounding the old Cangelosi building on Wednesday for $3.2 million, said architect Trey Trahan, a managing partner for the buyer.

He identified the seller as an investment group headed by local businessman Mike DiVincenti.

Trahan said there are no definite plans yet for the 1.4-acre site bordered on the south by North Boulevard and to the north by Convention Street. But ideas include transforming it into a mixed-use area that includes residential and commercial space, he said.