Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

I like yall's enthusiasm. When you look at the Riverfront MasterPlan they sketch in additional future high-rise towers on each side of RiverPlace condo's. Those are the blocks of the old Advocate Bldg.(north) to be demolished(I posted on Future Construction sites) and the other block(south) is a giant parking lot. Plans for the 26-story Laurel Tower in 99' did not pan-out. Still it's premium riverfront property.

>I took some pics of the controversial eye-sore BR WaterWorks property in front of the Shaw Arts Center. That's next to Trahan's 25-story visionary riverfront tower and LSU Architectual school has some lofty ideas for the area as well. If they want to keep the watery theme they could always build a riverarium with native Louisiana fish. BRWaterWorks doesn't seem to want to sell the property. Saying they will make visual improvements. But it's not enough, BR deserves better.

Edited by richyb83

>I took some pics of the controversial eye-sore BR WaterWorks property in front of the Shaw Arts Center. That's next to Trahan's 25-story visionary riverfront tower and LSU Architectual school has some lofty ideas for the area as well. If they want to keep the watery theme they could always build a riverarium with native Louisiana fish. BRWaterWorks doesn't seem to want to sell the property. Saying they will make visual improvements. But it's not enough, BR deserves better.

^Is that building used for anything?

I think it's just an old water pumping house...I'M not sure. I'll post those pics of the property soon on Future Construction sites.

Dan, you and I can propose a riverarium for the property to the city council.

That would be a great idea. More reason for people to want to come downtown. But how would you propose to the city council? Would you send them an email or something like that?

I think it's just an old water pumping house...I'M not sure. I'll post those pics of the property soon on Future Construction sites.

Dan, you and I can propose a riverarium for the property to the city council.

That sounds awesome.

Just keep in mind that, when the Bass Pro Shop finally opens up, they'll have a giant aquarium with fish species native to your area... which I'm sure will focus on the Mississippi River. But a true riverarium would have more displays and be much larger I'm sure.

That sounds awesome.

Just keep in mind that, when the Bass Pro Shop finally opens up, they'll have a giant aquarium with fish species native to your area... which I'm sure will focus on the Mississippi River. But a true riverarium would have more displays and be much larger I'm sure.

Wow Brian you are right. If the giant aquaruim here is anything like the one in SBC that will be great!

But how would you propose to the city council? Would you send them an email or something like that?

Not exactly sure. Maybe a personal visit. Or maybe talking to the director of Downtown Development Davis Rhorer.

I have to hurry-up and get moving on something else before it's too late on the Millerville mess-up about to take place. I need to meet with the Traffic Engineer very soon. I am mad at myself for not thinking of this earlier. Long story; Creating a new intersection by extending a dead-end street.

Wow Brian you are right. If the giant aquaruim here is anything like the one in SBC that will be great!

Ours is nice, but the one in Dallas (Grapevine) is enormous! Your store is supposed to be a bit larger than ours, but I'm unsure about the exact size of the aquarium. Maybe it'll be the same size and the store will just carry mroe merchandise... or maybe the aquarium will be larger.

The one in Dallas is enormous, as I said, and it has a pond next to it that makes its way through a section of the store... complete with fish and DUCKS!! Yep, inside the store!

If you've never been to the store in either Dallas or Houston, you should. Those are awesome because of their size.

I have to hurry-up and get moving on something else before it's too late on the Millerville mess-up about to take place. I need to meet with the Traffic Engineer very soon. I am mad at myself for not thinking of this earlier. Long story; Creating a new intersection by extending a dead-end street.

Hmmm... interesting. Do you think you can get the traffic engineer to listen and maybe take your idea into serious consideration? How cool would that be! :) Richy saves the day...

*Prince Murat set for Re-development (in yesterday's BRBusiness Report)

Good news for eye sore on Nicholson Drive. There are plans in the works to demolish the old Prince Murat hotel and replace it with a 400-unit apartment complex and retail center(pharmacy/coffee shop??). (this is within view of the bridge) Construction on the project will begin by the end of this year and open in early 08'. The apartments will be enviromentally friendly, meeting standards for energy efficiency, but will be priced at market rates. The developer has been encouraged by recent developments along Nicholson Drive and Downtown! I can't wait to see renderings.

The Nicholson corridor is hot from south of LSU to the Mississippi River Bridge;its just begining to take-off.

(between LSU & Downtown)

*The Red Stick lofts are nearing completion;

*The Fieldhouse(600 yards away from Tiger Stadium) are underway.

*Houses across the street near Magnolia Mound Plantation have been bought and will be redeveloped.

***Now this news of 400-unit redevelopment.(that should be multi-storied)

*Developer Wampold bought the shopping center next-door to the hotel being re-developed; expect something nice!

(just south of LSU)

* Additional 10-story condo @ Southgate Towers-set to begin next month

Edited by richyb83

Yes sir Brian, it will be my pleasure. Jagged is a much better choice of word than my gritty description is. ha But BR has plenty of grit too; I can post some of those, but I didn't know if they were worthy of UP? Thanks for the reply BTW.

Dude... grit is as urban as it gets, my friend! :)

Post away...

The Cabela's case gets the green light.

This is great news!

Hey Brian, what is it like in Bass Pro Shop? I hope that this project is a go because if it's not there will be a local revolt. I remember kids coming to school with there little "Vote Yes" pins and stickers. People in Denham Springs love to hunt and fish. When you start to were camouflage undergarments I think that's crossing the line. ;) There a little prejudice too. I remember this woman calling me some other kid's name when the other kid was about 100x darker than I is was. But then according to my grandmother, Livingston parish only started intergrating in the 1980's.

Edited by dan326

Hey Brian, what is it like in Bass Pro Shop?

Bass Pro is awesome. Most stores have a huge 15,000+ gallon aquarium in the center, wildlife scenery, an 'Uncle Buck's' airplane hanging from the ceiling (yes, a small but REAL airplane,) complete camping department with tents on display, a restaurant of some sort (ours has a 'Sonic Bayou Cafe' on the second floor.) The one in Dallas has a pond with live ducks and fish in it, as well as a 30,000+ gallon aquarium with a cave and water fall on the rear. Ours has a 15,000 gallon aquarium with a glass elevator on the backside, so you can see into the aquarium as you ride up to the second floor. They also have clothing departments all over, a NASCAR section, gift shop, separate fly fishing department, indoor archery range (some even have an indoor rifle range,) and most have a "wildlife" arcade with an interactive hunting game.

I've got development a-plenty for O'Neal Lane. I'll go from top to bottom. There might be some townhomes in planning for the property to the right of the Chase bank. There are plans to build a Microtel hotel on a parcel of land to the left of Hobby Lobby/Office Depot. You'll see it if you pass by because the land is aleady cleared. They are going to move the traffic lights from the Hobby Lobby/Office Depot parking lot exit a little farther up to allow big trucks that transport goods from the factory behind the Hobby Lobby to come out easier. The old Ochsner clinic has been torn down since they moved to the old Summit hospital. There may be plans for the large piece of land to become an upscale shopping center like City Place or Town Centre. This is unvalidated so it may not happen, but if it does it will take a long time. Ya'll may remember me mentioning a Nextel location earlier. The builiding actually seems to be a small strip center with 3 sections so Nextel may be a tenant. I feel bad for whoever has to work there because I didn't see any piping for toilets. The Autozone which is across O'Neal from the strip center is coming along very quickly. They already have most of the walls up. Just in case you want to know were I got this from, let's just say my dad knows people who knows things. :)

Also the Baton Rouge Zoo is expanding. The $30 million expansion wil include regions and new species.http://media.swagit.com/s/wbrz/The_Advocat...please_wait.gif

mmmmmmmmmpc0.png

Edited by dan326

More news for O'Neal Lane. This was written a while back, so I don't know if this is still being considered or not. I rememebr my dad mentioning this, but he said that the land was low and there would be nowhere to take the animals if the land flooded.

"Developer gives up on zoo, studio on O'Neal property

Posted: 06.15.05

Construction company owner Ted Hicks has told the owners of 800 acres around O'Neal Lane that he won't be developing their property. Hicks had wanted to create a tourist attraction by building an ecological park run by BREC and pair it with a movie studio theme park. He was reportedly pursuing MGM. He tells Daily Report this morning that his group has given up an option on the land but still wants to pursue the studio. The problem, says Hicks, is BREC did not want to build the ecological park and that the city-parish had an unclear political position on whether it would help the project with tax increment financing, a vehicle in which taxes generated by a project are used to fund the deal. Hicks had believed his proposal would result in a tourist rush, particularly because of its location near the proposed Bass Pro Shop in Livingston Parish."

Thanks Dan for the news on the growing O'Neal corridor. Once O'Neal is extended(Central Thwy.) and widened connecting Sullivan; that will really open things up! O'Neal Ln still being 2-laned from I-12 to Hwy.190(Florida Blvd.) is an absolute joke. The narrow road with the afflicted curve was built in the 60's ???

The red-light to mentioned them moving; the name of that street is Commercial Ave. It parallel's I-12 into a dead end. Capitol City Produce moved it's operations on that street from Choctaw.

I remember Ted Hicks secret big plans that never happened. That development may have worked with a 4-laned O'Neal , but there is no way that 1960's road could handle that traffic.

That's great for the BR Zoo. That's going to be a great expansion/upgrade. It's got alot of land to work with. I can't wait to see Silverback Gorilla. :yahoo:

Edited by richyb83

Thanks Dan for the news on the growing O'Neal corridor. Once O'Neal is extended(Central Thwy.) and widened connecting Sullivan; that will really open things up! O'Neal Ln still being 2-laned from I-12 to Hwy.190(Florida Blvd.) is an absolute joke. The narrow road with the afflicted curve was built in the 60's ???

I think my dad also said contruction on that stretch of O'Neal is going to begin 5-laning in 12 to 18 months. I know the stretch from George O'Neal Road to South Harrell's Ferry Road is going to be one of the first roads to be 5-laned with the Green Light Plan.

I don't understand why? they would widen that stretch of O'neal 1st?? Seems like a major State Hwy. 190 (Florida Blvd.) to I-12 would be a bigger priority. For evacuation purposes; and an alternate route when there is a wreck on the Amite River Bridge. They wont have to travel to Florida Blvd. on a 1960 two-laned road. BR's ideas make no sense sometimes. We have come a long way; but got a loonngg way to go.

Edited by richyb83

Here's a picture a of RiverPlace that I cut and spliced to make it 30 stories. I think I did a pretty good job on this one. I figue that the height will be about 380-400 feet. I say that because before the height of the builing was going to be a little taller than the height of the state capitol, so I said about 460-470. Divide that by 36, then multiply by 30 and you get 383-391. riverplace1vy6.png

Thanks Dan for that perspective! I wonder if they've tweaked the design at all to account for the reduction in height (6 floors?). Maybe they just removed a couple floors from each "section" like you did. Either way, nice job. Let's get this thing built aready!

Edit: Did they ever say officially that the original design would eclipse the Capitol in height? J/w.

Edited by bluff2085

Another impressive display Dan. Keep up the good work! My wife is impressed by your math skills. I had been wondering what the height of RiverPlace would be. Remember there is that 3-level parking on the bottom+ 30-stories and slopped roof(hard to see on rendering, white color). I was thinking at least 370'...very close with yours. :thumbsup:

When it was 36-stories I thought that RiverPlace and the State Capitol would be virtually neck-n-neck around 45o-460 feet tall. The State Capitol is at a higher land elevation.

bluff2085; I heard them say it would be taller than the Capitol at one time; but my personal opinion (see above) even at 36-stories.

At 30-stories it will be 2nd tallest in BR.

Edited by richyb83