Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

I don't view Baton Rouge as "undeveloped" either, especially along the interstate corridors and throughout most of the suburbs. If anything, some parts of the city are overdeveloped in terms of stores, businesses, attractions, etc. without enough roads, so you get stuck with stuff like this.

img22115nv.jpg

I don't view Baton Rouge as "undeveloped" either, especially along the interstate corridors and throughout most of the suburbs. If anything, some parts of the city are overdeveloped in terms of stores, businesses, attractions, etc. without enough roads, so you get stuck with stuff like this.

img22115nv.jpg

Other than the Capitol Bldg, downtown BR need some skyscraper. Very small dt- Other than the Marriott whatelse is going on . Look at the Austin forum and you will be surprise. I personally think BR is a more culture city than Austin

Other than the Capitol Bldg, downtown BR need some skyscraper. Very small dt- Other than the Marriott whatelse is going on .

The largest high-rise planned for downtown Baton Rouge right now is the 36 story RiverPlace Condominums, which will break ground in the next few months. It will be somewhere around 400 feet tall, making it the second tallest building in Baton Rouge.

RiverRoad_ariel_lg.jpg

Other than the Capitol Bldg, downtown BR need some skyscraper. Very small dt- Other than the Marriott whatelse is going

The Marriott is currently BR's 5th tallest; and it's not in the CBD. With three projects on board the Marriott will drop to the city's 8th tallest high-rise.

Imaterry... 200'ft. seems to be the benchmark on heights for our Skyline wars. Besides the 450-460'ft. State Capitol Downtown Baton Rouge has:

#2 One American Place at 24 stories 310'ft.

#3 Chase Bank Tower 21 stories 277'ft.

#4 Riverside North 20-stories 229'ft.

Check-out the new Capitol Complex thread on this forum. The tallest is only 13-stories,(12,9,9) but they are large nice looking buildings.

Thanks Nate. ;) Along with RiverPlace...City Plaza Two at (20 stories and something different for BR. a spire that could bump it up to the new #5) will breakground this year.

Also hopefully this year the proposed Laurel Tower at 18 or 19 stories mixed-use will begin.

And in early 07' a New 10-story Courthouse.

Edited by richyb83

http://www.trahanarchitects.com/

Click on > Featured Architecture....then click # 6 Riverfront Office Tower

Check it out. I hope this gets built. It would be on the Riverfront near the Shaw Arts Center. BR's version of a sleek "Flatiron" Bldg.

NCB posted this a few months ago.

Edited by richyb83

http://www.trahanarchitects.com/

Click on > Featured Architecture....then click # 6 Riverfront Office Tower

Check it out. I hope this gets built. It would be on the Riverfront near the Shaw Arts Center. BR's version of a sleek "Flatiron" Bldg.

NCB posted this a few months ago.

Me too. That'll be one more building to make the skyline more dense. :)

Edited by dan326

I believe the planned height was around 26+ stories. It's listed as a "vision" on Emporis, and that's because there really is nothing behind the project. Trahan Architects basically just designed a tower, threw it out there, and hoped a developer would pick up the project, but nothing has happened yet. I hope something comes out of it though, because I think it looks cool.

I believe the planned height was around 26+ stories. It's listed as a "vision" on Emporis, and that's because there really is nothing behind the project. Trahan Architects basically just designed a tower, threw it out there, and hoped a developer would pick up the project, but nothing has happened yet. I hope something comes out of it though, because I think it looks cool.

Ahh... good information. Thanks.

No problem at all. Here is the building's page on Emporis:

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=258252

That would be a very "SLENDER" building. It's on a very narrow tract of land. Also the Riverfront Master Plan pics that show future development show it being 15-stories. And the LSU School of Architecture website has design aspirations on that same property. I will try to post those.

I caught this shot on my last trip to Red Stick:

Thanks Nate for posting.

The Supreme Court will meet about this next month ! And hopefully for the last time;construction can start in 07'. I understand the plantiff's complaints, but Livingston Parish voted 83% in Favor to 17% opposing last year. About 4 or 5 Bass Pro's have been built in that time; including one in Pearl,MS next to a new minor-league baseball stadium.

Edited by richyb83

^Thanks Brian.

I need to call the future Downtown BR high-rise development "The BIG 3" + 1. The new Courthouse would be the +1.

China/Hurricanes have driven construction $cost(steel) thru the roof . The labor shortages have not helped either.

Original $cost Now$

River Place $ 50 mil. approx. $75 mil.

Two City Plaza $35-40 mil $60 mil

Laurel Tower approx. $50mil ??

Baton Rouge is not the only city that has not seen significant high-rise office development since the late 80's.

Edited by richyb83

Yeah Dan, you and Byrde went out of town I got lazy, but busy some too. Just waiting big Downtown projects to begin. The dog-days of Summer slowed things. It will be picking up soon :thumbsup:

It has not been announced yet, and do not know when it will start :dontknow: but the unfinished 12-story dorm eye-sore :( on Bluebonnet on the other side of the tracks from the Mall of La. will be a 13-STORY 4-Star 300-room Hotel !!! :yahoo: They are actually +adding another floor; when I was worried the shell would be demolished for some 6-story hotel, NOT !

Edited by richyb83

Yeah Dan, you and Byrde went out of town I got lazy, but busy some too. Just waiting big Downtown projects to begin. The dog-days of Summer slowed things. It will be picking up soon :thumbsup:

It has not been announced yet, and do not know when it will start :dontknow: but the unfinished 12-story dorm eye-sore :( on Bluebonnet on the other side of the tracks from the Mall of La. will be a 13-STORY 4-Star 300-room Hotel !!! :yahoo: They are actually +adding another floor; when I was worried the shell would be demolished for some 6-story hotel, NOT !

Do you know what hotel chain will occupy that location?

It has not been announced yet, and do not know when it will start but the unfinished 12-story dorm eye-sore :( on Bluebonnet on the other side of the tracks from the Mall of La. will be a 13-STORY 4-Star 300-room Hotel !!! They are actually +adding another floor; when I was worried the shell would be demolished for some 6-story hotel, NOT !

Where did you find this out? You must have some good connections. :) Maybe it will be a Hyatt. I'm just saying that because it is the only 4-star hotel I know besides the Marriott and the Hilton. :dontknow:

Also,according to Wikipedia the BatonRouge Metropolitan Airport is expanding from 33,000 square feet to 68,000 square feet. I do remember seeing them expanding on the right-end of the airport.

Edited by dan326

* R.W. Day to add Condo's & Hotel to Southgate *

Construction is set to start in the next two months on a 10-story condominium tower at the Southgate Towers on Nicholson Drive. The condo will have 133 units; Southgate already has 316 apartments and 27 condo units(three 8-story towers), along with mix of retailers and restaurants. Also this Fall, construction will begin on a 6-story Staybridge Suites Hotel in Southgate.

BatonRouge Metropolitan Airport is expanding from 33,000 square feet to 68,000 square feet. I do remember seeing them expanding on the right-end of the airport.

Thanks Dan. I heard the Airport would be expanding; they also plan to reconfigure Plank and Blount Roads too.

Edited by richyb83

I just now realized that 33,000 square feet to 68,000 square feet is double. :shok: The exact quote is " Baton Rouge Metropolitan Airport currently has a 33,000 square foot cargo facility. It is currently being expanded to 68,000 square feet." I guess they're going to be having a lot of business.The expansion I was talking about I think is going to be an 2 or 3 floor office on the right,front corner of the building. I read in an article that after Katrina airflight companies that Baton Rouge Airport had been trying to get for years all of a sudden wanted to come.

Also didn't you say along with the 10 story condo and 6 story hotel they were going to build another 15-18 story tower?

Edited by dan326