Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

This is the same developer that bought Kress/Welsh & Levy bldg. in Nov. The historic fascade will remain , then add-on to it ,as of now it will become a 10-story mixed-use,w/ 40-50 residentail units at the top.

Is this still going to be a 10 stroy building? I think I remember some saying they shortened it.

You are right Dan. They seemed to have shortened it considerably. The building will only add one-floor last time I heard. So it will only be 4-stories. Still a great mixed-use development with some residential loft living on top. Great location on Third Street @ Main. Across the street from the YMCA and a block away from future RiverPlace.

Construction $prices have got so outta hand they most simply have a harder time affording it all I guess. Also I believe around 1/3 of the high-rise cranes are currently in use between China and Dubai City.

Edited by richyb83

header.jpg

Here is a new mixed use development set to be built on Perkins Road called Perkins Palms.

It is going to include:

8,400 square foot of retail

2nd and 3rd Floor Upscale Residential Condominiums

Upscale 30,000 square foot Spectrum Fitness Club

Some of the tenants are Investor Bank and Taco Del Mar, which plans to build up to 16 locations in the area.

Actually,I took some Spanish and Taco Del Mar means Taco of the Sea so I guess they will be made with fish.

Edited by dan326

Hailed as a "Lifesyle Center". Nice looking development at a nice location on Perkins Road. Across the street from BR Clinic; next to the BREC Velodrome/Olympia Park and near Pennington Bio-Medical Research Center. I am liking the residential trend going on with some of these developments.

Edited by richyb83

header.jpg

Here is a new mixed use development set to be built on Perkins Road called Perkins Palms.

It is going to include:

8,400 square foot of retail

2nd and 3rd Floor Upscale Residential Condominiums

Upscale 30,000 square foot Spectrum Fitness Club

Some of the tenants are Investor Bank and Taco Del Mar, which plans to build up to 16 locations in the area.

Actually,I took some Spanish and Taco Del Mar means Taco of the Sea so I guess they will be made with fish.

Wow, VERY impressive. On top of that, it's impressive that a new chain has come into your area expecting to build up to 16 locations. That's something you typically hear chains say about cities the size of Dallas. This proves the strength of the Baton Rouge market and that the corporate perception is good.

By the way, I looked up Taco Del Mar (www.tacodelmar.com) and they show a fish with a mustache and a sombrero, so you must have hit it right on the money, Dan, with your Spanish translation. :)

And here's a quote from their website:

"Whether it's a mondo burrito, rippin' fish tacos, nachos, enchiladas or any other made-to-order item, Taco Del Mar guarantees the quality, freshness and taste of every item we serve."

Edited by SBCmetroguy

what would be the big problem with expanding the city limits.

Its quite confusing to me this has not already been done years ago.

And im talking about perkins/ blubonet to airline to walmart at siegen, that whole area has a pretty dense population with enough income to pay taxes and a half. the population there could add a good 40,000 people to the "city", and not to mention with the katrina evacuees, the "city" could have an incorporated population of 350,000.

Baton Rouge's Most Dangerous Intersections

Nicholson from Burbank to Brightside/Lee most danderous stretch 2004-2005

Green Light Plan will improve many roads;

Proposed 5-lane roads:

*Nicholson from Burbank to just past Brightside

*O'Neal from I-12 to Harrel's Ferry Rd.(next phase)

*Staring Lane from Perkins to Highland Rd.(next phase)

*Highland Rd. from Perkins/I-10 to Airline Hwy.(next phase)

*Burbank from Lee Drive to just past Bluebonnet Blvd.(This phase)

1st priority list:

*Burbank from Bluebonnet to Highland/Siegen

*Installation & Upgrades for nearly 30 traffic signals downtown

*Extension of Vetrans Memorial Blvd.(near airport) to Blount Rd.

*Instillation of turn lanes and improvements to intersection of Government St./Foster Dr.

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=5336843

Edited by richyb83

Look what I found. We got talked about about a year and a half ago in Fort Myers, Florida. http://www.nbc-2.com/Articles/readarticle....&z=3&p=
I find it interesting that they say Ft Myers and Baton Rouge are very similar in size. Last time I checked the numbers 58k and 250, were not very close. Now the metro area are closer than that but not much: BR- 800k; Ft Myers-500k

The Bass Pro project remains in the court system after challenges to the tax-increment financing district plan. The Louisiana Supreme Court is scheduled to hear arguments in that case NEXT WEEK. 83% of Livingston Parish residents have voted in FAVOR of the Bass Pro project. Hopefully construction can begin before the end of this year.

The Bass Pro project remains in the court system after challenges to the tax-increment financing district plan. The Louisiana Supreme Court is scheduled to hear arguments in that case NEXT WEEK. 83% of Livingston Parish residents have voted in FAVOR of the Bass Pro project. Hopefully construction can begin before the end of this year.

It's going to be a great project. I hope the TIF gets approved.

Howell Place project growing in north BR

Also wanted to add.....

This the also the developer of RiverPlace. This is the quote from the end of the article: Developer also has a proposed condo-project at Lafayette @ Main for several years, though it's still in the pre-leasing stages.

(Tues.) He said that steel, concrete, and glass $prices increases caused by Katrina forced a redesign. But he reaffirmed that the project is on track and construction would begin "in the near term".

"In the near term", still no groundbreaking date?

That could be weeks or months, but soon. I really was expecting to hear a groundbreaking date by now, and will be disapionted if it's not announced in a month or two.(end of October)

Edited by richyb83

^Personally,I think that they are waiting to see if this will be a quiet hurricane season. Provided there be no more Ivans or Katrinas, I'm sure they'll break ground and start constrcution before the end of fall. :)

I found the website for the Brass Pro Shop called "Lakefront Centre". It has more info with a complete site layout. http://www.lakefrontcentre.com/default.htm

Baton Rouge Metropolitan Airport is trying to lure a low-fare airline and by the sound of the article they seem determined. http://www.businessreport.com/newsDetail.cfm?aid=9477

Edited by dan326

Also wanted to add.....

This the also the developer of RiverPlace. This is the quote from the end of the article: Developer also has a proposed condo-project at Lafayette @ Main for several years, though it's still in the pre-leasing stages.

(Tues.) He said that steel, concrete, and glass $prices increases caused by Katrina forced a redesign. But he reaffirmed that the project is on track and construction would begin "in the near term".

"In the near term", still no groundbreaking date?

That could be weeks or months, but soon. I really was expecting to hear a groundbreaking date by now, and will be disapionted if it's not announced in a month or two.(end of October)

RiverPlace might still be taller than the state capitol. I know we're not supposed to post articles,but it's so short

I figured I save the trouble of going through a link.From The Greater Baton Rouge Business Report.

Developer says downtown condos a "go" 04.13.06

River Place, the downtown condo development, is ready to convert reservation agreements for units into hard contracts, a key step towards beginning construction soon. Developer Richard Preis didn't want to provide a firm date for groundbreaking, but says 70% of the 119 units have been reserved. A rise in construction costs post-Katrina caused a re-engineering of the project. "All is a go," says Preis, who adds the financing is in good shape for the $75 million high-rise. River Place is expected to be a bit taller than the state Capitol. "Baton Rouge will see a vertical neighborhood in a short period of time," Preis promises.

Higher costs delay downtown highrise, but construction to begin soon 12.22.05

A spike in construction prices has caused Richard Preis' downtown condo development to be delayed a few months. Preis says the 100-unit River Place, which was set to begin in November, will definitely start construction no later than late spring. Preis and partners hired Manhattan Construction, a seasoned builder of high-rises, to redesign the project. Manhattan cut most of the 18% rise in construction costs post-Katrina. The company last night presented the redesign and Preis' group gave the go-ahead. Preis says the design changes won't be noticeable to the untrained eye. Manhattan and Womack Construction will build the riverfront high-rise, which will be taller than the state Capitol.

Edited by dan326

Thanks for posting Dan. Things changed since these articles with the re-engineering at around 30-stories it will not be a bit taller than the State Capitol. Unless they change their mind again? The State Capitol is also at a higher elevation than RiverPlace too.

Edited by richyb83

Thanks for posting Dan. Things changed since these articles with the re-engineering at around 30-stories it will not be a bit taller than the State Capitol. Unless they change their mind again? The State Capitol is also at a higher elevation than RiverPlace too.

I didn't know they'd backed down to 30 stories... I assumed it was still going to be taller. Either way, a 30-story condo tower in ANY Louisiana city outside of New Orleans is a big deal. Not that there's anything wrong with new Orleans, but they have their 70-story condo tower in the works... so they're kind of the big boys on the block as usual. But like I said, 30 stories is awesome in Baton Rouge. I'd love to have that here! :D

But like I said, 30 stories is awesome in Baton Rouge. I'd love to have that here!

That's O.K. Brian, because I'd love BR to have a Horseshoe high-rise hotel like Bossier City.

Considering the original RiverPlace was to be 23-stories. I will be happy with 30 stories; it's a nice median; 36- was a suprise when we first heard that. That would have been great! Some Council members said "why so tall"?; still stuck back in the stone age. The answer was the limited size of the lot and a greater need for density of residents lead to a tall condo.

Edited by richyb83

That's O.K. Brian, because I'd love BR to have a Horseshoe high-rise hotel like Bossier City.

Considering the original RiverPlace was to be 23-stories. I will be happy with 30 stories; it's a nice median; 36- was a suprise when we first heard that. That would have been great! Some Council members said "why so tall"?; still stuck back in the stone age. The answer was the limited size of the lot and a greater need for density of residents lead to a tall condo.

You are EXACTLY right... still stuck in the stone age. But don't let that surprise you... the council members in Shreveport have a hard time with condos anyway. They can't seem to comprehend the concept of vertical lots (basically a high-rise subdivision) as opposed to a typical subdivision with horizontal lots. They can't grasp the concept of someone owning the property above someone else. More proof that they need ME on the city council... too bad I live in suburban east Bossier, too far from Shreveport to even attempt a run for office in that city!

But like I said, AWESOME project. 23 stories would have been nice as well, but 30 will be great!

Edited by SBCmetroguy