Baton Rouge Growth and Development

NCB

You know, I read this and see how excited we get about the new highrise buildings and can only imagine what the people thought back when they built the new state capital. At first it probably didn't sound like a good idea since, it was during the Great Depression, but besides that I'm sure they were probably very excited also. I mean, when you think about, 34 stories was tall for a Louisiana building back then.

I only wish I'd been around during Shreveport's high-rise construction boom of the late 70s and early 80s. For that matter, I'd like to have been around when the State Capitol was constructed, as well as the high-rise boom that took place in New Orleans decades ago as well.

^The 70's & 80's was a busy/booming time for high-rises. So many cities skylines were formed in those decades. Then there was the 90's; It's amazing to see how non-existant high-rise development was almost everywhere in the 90's. Of Dallas top 20 high-rises, none where built in the 90's. Same for Houston, which virtually had no high-rise activity in the 90's. Even in NYC was slow in the 90's. Since 2000 there has been high-rise-condo boom. Some high-rise office is now making a slow comeback.

New Orleans close proximity to Baton Rouge made it tough for high-rise development in the capital city. BR has been under New Orleans shadow for so long. After the State Capitol was completed in 1932, the CBD of BR did not get a "true" high-rise til 1968. Then another in 1974. Some boom ? Then 1989 was the last high-rise built. A few other taller buildings popped up in that time period, but away from the CBD(including Marriott). That also helped contribute the lack of a skyline. The new Capitol Complex Bldgs. all over the place are nice and add to the density on the north side of the CBD. But they are not the types that are easily visible from say, 7 miles away. That's why the anticipation in 2006 is at a all-time high around here.

Edited by richyb83

The 9-story Bienville Building in downtown BR ready to open signals a near-end to the Capitol Complex construction program. 1,200 workers will move in.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/3350141.html

The Iberville Building is also set to be moved into before the end of the month. The gateway buildings(Bienville & Iberville) will house over 2,000 new workers total.

Edited by richyb83

Wow, you just figured that out!? Oh yes, Shaw Group is enormous and is a Fortune 500 company. They may not have made it this last time (I don't recall for sure,) but they are usually a Fortune 500 company.

Yea, as of the 2005 rankings, Shaw was somewhere around #561 on the list of Fortune 1000 companies, and was behind only Entergy and Freeport-McMoran on the list of largest companies in Louisiana.

You know, I read this and see how excited we get about the new highrise buildings and can only imagine what the people thought back when they built the new state capital. At first it probably didn't sound like a good idea since, it was during the Great Depression, but besides that I'm sure they were probably very excited also. I mean, when you think about, 34 stories was tall for a Louisiana building back then.

You bet, and not only was it very tall for Louisiana, but the Southern United States as well. When it was completed, the Louisiana State Capitol was the tallest building in the entire Southern U.S., not just the Southeast.

And one thing I'd like to add, I've always been very impressed driving into Baton Rouge from the east, especially on I-12. With those wide and very smooth interstates, tall light poles, and developments as far as the eye can see from around Millerville Road forward, it's very impressive. I've always thought it seemed like you were coming into a city that had many more people than 225,000. And after Katrina, with even more development everywhere, roads being widened everywhere, traffic and people everywhere, new interstate overpasses, and everything else going on, it's even more impressive.

Now when you're coming into Baton Rouge from the west on I-10, it's almost the exact opposite. You would think you're in the middle of nowhere at many spots, and suddenly you come around the corner and everything just hits you at once. You see a huge bridge in front of you, and then you see a very active downtown with many high-rises, and then you suddenly realize that you're over one big ass river, and it becomes even more impressive once you cross the Mississippi.

I know Baton Rouge has several sister cities, but what exactly do we do with them?

I really don't have any idea what kind of relashionship Baton Rouge has with its sister cities to be honest with you. Hopefully someone more familiar with that info will be able to expain.

Baton Rouge's sister cities:

• Aix-en-Provence, France
  • Cordoba, Mexico
  • Taichung, Taiwan
  • Port-au-Prince, Haiti

And I'm pretty sure Baton Rouge is trying to develop a plan to add Taipei, Taiwan as a sister city as well.

And one thing I'd like to add, I've always been very impressed driving into Baton Rouge from the east, especially on I-12. With those wide and very smooth interstates, tall light poles, and developments as far as the eye can see from around Millerville Road forward, it's very impressive. I've always thought it seemed like you were coming into a city that had many more people than 225,000. And after Katrina, with even more development everywhere, roads being widened everywhere, traffic and people everywhere, new interstate overpasses, and everything else going on, it's even more impressive.

Now when you're coming into Baton Rouge from the west on I-10, it's almost the exact opposite. You would think you're in the middle of nowhere at many spots, and suddenly you come around the corner and everything just hits you at once. You see a huge bridge in front of you, and then you see a very active downtown with many high-rises, and then you suddenly realize that you're over one big ass river, and it becomes even more impressive once you cross the Mississippi.

I really like the interesting observations and great dipictions you make when driving the Interstates from the east and west entering BR.

Have you seen the construction on I-10 between Siegen/Bluebonnet lately ? One big mess; but once completed it will be very nice, unlike anything BR currently has.

I know Baton Rouge has several sister cities, but what exactly do we do with them?

Thanks for that info Nate. Last year I remember Mayor Kip Holden exchanging ideas with Taiwan. Exchanging small gifts too ? They came away with good ideas with Taiwan's Science Park's that were very impressive.

Have you seen the construction on I-10 between Siegen/Bluebonnet lately ? One big mess; but once completed it will be very nice, unlike anything BR currently has.

I was in that area on Sunday, and like you said, it looked like a huge mess. But I'm hoping that will change soon enough. :thumbsup:

The Shaw Group is the biggest corporation in Louisiana and the headquaters are situated right in our city.

Houston tried to steal Shaw away from Louisiana/BR with some sweetened incentives. But the CEO will not budge, he loves Louisiana.

I get tired of Texas sapping Louisiana. It's good to see the opposite is true with the new La.Tech Park in BR. One company from Dallas, and another in Austin were actually coming to our city.

Houston tried to steal Shaw away from Louisiana/BR with some sweetened incentives. But the CEO will not budge, he loves Louisiana.

I get tired of Texas sapping Louisiana. It's good to see the opposite is true with the new La.Tech Park in BR. One company from Dallas, and another in Austin were actually coming to our city.

Ohh, Technology Park. What is that?

I really like the interesting observations and great dipictions you make when driving the Interstates from the east and west entering BR.

Was this also going on back in March of '05 as well? There was some serious construction going along that same stretch back then. It almost looked like a whole other freeway being built right up against I-10.

Was this also going on back in March of '05 as well? There was some serious construction going along that same stretch back then. It almost looked like a whole other freeway being built right up against I-10.

Yes, it probably was. New one-way frontage roads along each side will connect Siegen and Bluebonnet. And a new over-pass for the Picardy Ave. extension which will loop around the Mall of La. cross Bluebonnet (thru the medical corridor) and connect Essen. A Picardy/Perkins connector will join this too; easier access to the new Perkins Rowe and an alternate route from Bluebonnet. BRILLIANT IDEA ! Badly needed.

Edited by richyb83

Yes Perkins Rowe is going to look like a city in the suburbs. BR's first urban village. All those cranes around the project are impressive.

The Vermillion will be 8 1/2 stories. Three more condo towers will be built in phases, about one per year. The others could be 10 to 12 stories ?(not shown on website)> Wells Fargo office will go on top the parking garage making it 7-stories.

I am still waiting to hear what they will do with the 12-story unfinished dormitory across the street on Bluebonnet. It's supposed to become a 4-star hotel. I am not sure if they will demolish that eye-sore or not ?

Edited by richyb83

Yes Perkins Rowe is going to look like a city in the suburbs. BR's first urban village. All those cranes around the project are impressive.

The Vermillion will be 8 1/2 stories. Three more condo towers will be built in phases, about one per year. The others could be 10 to 12 stories ?(not shown on website)> Wells Fargo office will go on top the parking garage making it 7-stories.

I am still waiting to hear what they will do with the 12-story unfinished dormitory across the street on Bluebonnet. It's supposed to become a 4-star hotel. I am not sure if they will demolish that eye-sore or not ?

Do bigger cities have several urban villages?

I'm jealous! :P

Seriously, next time I'm down in SE Louisiana, I'm going to spend more time in Baton Rouge. Aside from driving through, the only time I spent in Baton Rouge last time I was down that way was to get gas and stop into the Krispy Kreme on Siegen for a driving snack. :D

I'd like to check out Perkins Rowe firsthand. Even if it is only under construction, I'd still like to see it in person.