Va. Beach Town Center project 2

urbanvb

Armada Hoffler still needs financing. :unsure:

They'll get it. There were questions about financing just before the Westin started too. They'll probably work out some deal with the Bank of Hampton Roads since they are the ones taking occupancy in the new tower. The development has been highly successful so far and they have a proven track record. If they can't get financing, nobody can.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the naysayers on the expenditure of 60M to jumpstart the next phase of town center. At a time when the city is facing a budget shortfall and a weak economy it seems to me that this type of subsidy is not a prudent use of taxpayer money. If Town Center is such a success why can't it sustain itself without city intervention?

They've got sessoms. Who cares about the budget! As long as the people that invested in him (and he) get their returns, who cares how much debt the city accumulates. Scary stuff!

They've got sessoms. Who cares about the budget! As long as the people that invested in him (and he) get their returns, who cares how much debt the city accumulates. Scary stuff!

haha, I did say sessoms was going to be pro development no matter what. I am sure the city could save a few bucks on this phase and cut back on the parking...I assume this phase has parking seeing that just about every building there has a parking structure of some kind.

haha, I did say sessoms was going to be pro development no matter what. I am sure the city could save a few bucks on this phase and cut back on the parking...I assume this phase has parking seeing that just about every building there has a parking structure of some kind.

I'm ok with the parking for now, I feel that VB needs to invest in the infrastructure before Town Center really takes off (hopefully)! Because once LRT comes (hopefully), we may see town center boom in development which may mean little to No city subsidy. If that time comes VB may be glad to have control over so much parking. Even though hopefully town center by then will be mostly pedestrian and ride LRT. We know not everyone will be coming from a LRT served destination.

These are big city investments being made, I really hope this pays off and Town Center truly BOOMS!

I'm ok with the parking for now, I feel that VB needs to invest in the infrastructure before Town Center really takes off (hopefully)! Because once LRT comes (hopefully), we may see town center boom in development which may mean little to No city subsidy. If that time comes VB may be glad to have control over so much parking. Even though hopefully town center by then will be mostly pedestrian and ride LRT. We know not everyone will be coming from a LRT served destination.

These are big city investments being made, I really hope this pays off and Town Center truly BOOMS!

I'm ok with the parking now, and once they parking stops being free (20 years I think), the city is going to make a killing off the parking fees. That and the fact that HOPEFULLY by then, TC will have grown to a sustancial size.

No a more architecturaly note, there needs to be a rule about hiding garages already. They did a moderately good job hiding the garage or at least dressing it up on the AH tower and at Dck's, but the Westin job was sub par. If the city is going to put that much money in them, they might as well start hiding them and keeping the streets nice and welcoming.

I'm ok with the parking now, and once they parking stops being free (20 years I think), the city is going to make a killing off the parking fees. That and the fact that HOPEFULLY by then, TC will have grown to a sustancial size.

No a more architecturaly note, there needs to be a rule about hiding garages already. They did a moderately good job hiding the garage or at least dressing it up on the AH tower and at Dck's, but the Westin job was sub par. If the city is going to put that much money in them, they might as well start hiding them and keeping the streets nice and welcoming.

That or making them into at least good architecture designs....actually the city really needs to jump on the LEED bandwagon and get some more environmentally friendly work there.

I will agree with you about one thing when it comes to parking, it wont stay free forever and when the city does start charging, they will not only make a killing, but will also be able to control the cost of the garages so people dont get screwed do to overcharging.

• 3 weeks later...

The City has released this phase IV FAQ which give a pretty good overview of phase IV and how it will be paid for.
"In three years, when the buildings are finished, we hope the recession will be over.

Virginia Beach will be in position to take advantage of new business expansions and relocations."

I like that they're looking positively towards the future. I think this is something residents probably forget, just because times seems "hard" right now, does not mean they will be forever, and now is the perfect time to continue positioning the city for urban expansion so when the economy shifts, like they said, they're poised to reap the benefits immediately.

haha, it was explained so well.

Why is it that the VA pilot commentors complain about so many things which this pdf just refuted, all of which any normal person could have understood from the original article. I find myself explaining this issues much like the pdf just did, b/c they are too naysaying to understand any of it.

Town center growth is good for VB, Now if we could just give our MPO tax power on gas/cig's/or tolls we could fix solve transportation problems and be a well functioning metropolitan!

• 3 weeks later...

The building on the left looks like its taller than armada hoffler... I can't imagine town center in ten years! They have so much space to build.. It will be wild.. Plus Light rail!

It looks about the same size to me honestly.

True.. Didn't someone say that was starting construction within a month?

They still have some details to iron out and the project goes back before the planning commission on the 11th I believe. Beyond that, the only official word from the developer is that it will start by this summer.

Notice that you dont see the 15 story Tower Planned in Phase IV> Aloft Hotel/Apartments. That project was pushed in with the Gateway Bank Project.

and The Urban Market Tower. Far Left building Is being pushed as well For Phase IV.. Which Is going to be going infront of the Planning Commission on March 11th As the other guy said.. See how quick they design a building and Push it with other phases.. amazing

Notice that you dont see the 15 story Tower Planned in Phase IV> Aloft Hotel/Apartments. That project was pushed in with the Gateway Bank Project.

and The Urban Market Tower. Far Left building Is being pushed as well For Phase IV.. Which Is going to be going infront of the Planning Commission on March 11th As the other guy said.. See how quick they design a building and Push it with other phases.. amazing

Well to be fair the Armanda Hoffler Building and the Cosmopolitan are covering up the area that would be where the Aloft is built in this angle

It all sounds good.. I'm not doubting you or anything I was just looking at the agenda for March 11 Planning Commission and didn't see anything about town center..? I saw something about Gateway Enterprises but it was at Princess Anne Road..