The Village At South Park

atlrvr

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/12364222.htm well the Observer's got a full article now. They do cite the Village at SouthPark Mall area as a possibility (Sharon & Morrison Rd), but say there's no official location for the store.

Ling said Charlotte probably could have had a store earlier, but when Crate & Barrel expands, it likes "to do it right."

Is any of their furniture actually made in NC? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I couldn't find any information about the origin of their furniture on the website so I emailed them to ask. Here is the response I received:

"Our upholstery pieces are predominantly made in the US in North Carolina, many accessories are imported, some of the case goods are from the US, Canada and imported from elsewhere, too. So it would depend on which pieces you are interested in."

So at least many of the pieces are from NC.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Since this seems to be a logical place for this, I might as well bring up a South Park project that I mentioned many months ago.

I got to sneak a peek at some drawings and initial plans for a development around the edge of South Park mall. I hinted at it, and several of you wanted more details. Since I promised my source I wouldn't mention it to anyone, I didn't feel comfortable posting about it on the internet other than to say I was thrilled at the project for several reasons. Most assumed I meant vertical, I didn't.

The project was VERY much like the Village at South Park, 5 stories of retail/residential/office mix that wrapped a corner of the site. What made the project unique to me was how it tied into existing structures and created pedistrian friendly areas along a decidedly unfriendly existing area. Traffic calming techniques and pedistrian overpasses were both mentioned as potential ways of tying project areas together.

Sadly, I've learned the project is not to be, at least not in the format that I was privy to seeing. Several things doomed the project, not the least of which were no guarentees that road improvements would be completed or tenable by the city.

I still don't feel comfortable naming the developer or the location, since speculating about location can ruin an organization's ability to assemble larger plots of land (just ask the Knights about South End). Just thought you might want to know more about what the heck I was talking about.

If you're really curious about the proposed location, just look at a map. Ask yourself where the last developable land around the mall is.

The apartment building will have 60 floor plans ranging from one to three bedrooms and averaging 1,600 square feet, officials said. Rent will average $2 per square foot, or an average around $3,200 per month.

Good luck....the market won't sustain a $2 per square foot rent on average, especially at the size of these units. Oh well....they have enough captial that they can take a hit.

Archived