Louisiana | Photo of the Day

NCB

Tommy: Would that be the Short Pump Town Center? Or another place? The Boardwalk is a lifestyle center, which as you may know is an open-air "mall." This one is more like an open-air version of one of the "Mills" properties, with a multiplex theater, themed restaurants, outlet stores, and a food court. If you want to call it a food court, that is. :P The originally planned food court design was much nicer than what was built, but I guess I'll take it since the rest of the project still blows me away over 1 year later!

By the way, Tommy... good to see you're still coming around here.

Richy: Careful what you wish for, man... I took over 200 photos at the Boardwalk today, and uploaded about 50 of them to PictureTrail. :)

Tommy: Would that be the Short Pump Town Center? Or another place? The Boardwalk is a lifestyle center, which as you may know is an open-air "mall." This one is more like an open-air version of one of the "Mills" properties, with a multiplex theater, themed restaurants, outlet stores, and a food court. If you want to call it a food court, that is. :P The originally planned food court design was much nicer than what was built, but I guess I'll take it since the rest of the project still blows me away over 1 year later!

By the way, Tommy... good to see you're still coming around here.

Richy: Careful what you wish for, man... I took over 200 photos at the Boardwalk today, and uploaded about 50 of them to PictureTrail. :)

Yeah, thats the one. Ive got to get some pictures of it one of these days. Ive been a little busy, school starts tomorrow :yahoo:

I guess I misunderstood or I'm confusing it with something else. I thought it hadn't been doing very well. Anyway nice to hear it's doing well. Looks like a nice place. I agree with the others feel free to post some more pics. :D

I bet you were confusing it with the Red River District, which was a flop from the beginning. It had a chance to be really nice, but Shreveport didn't baby it like Bossier has the Boardwalk. The two properties are both underneath the Texas Street Bridge, just on opposite sides of the river. The Boardwalk is intended to be a family-oriented district, while the Red River District has all-along been planned as an adult-oriented district full of nightclubs, and sandwiched between two strip clubs. But with an adult-oriented district, it's got to be policed well or else it will become dangerous... and that's what happened to Red River District. It wasn't policed well, and it became a dangerous place really fast.

I bet you were confusing it with the Red River District, which was a flop from the beginning. It had a chance to be really nice, but Shreveport didn't baby it like Bossier has the Boardwalk. The two properties are both underneath the Texas Street Bridge, just on opposite sides of the river. The Boardwalk is intended to be a family-oriented district, while the Red River District has all-along been planned as an adult-oriented district full of nightclubs, and sandwiched between two strip clubs. But with an adult-oriented district, it's got to be policed well or else it will become dangerous... and that's what happened to Red River District. It wasn't policed well, and it became a dangerous place really fast.

Ah I see, I bet that was what I was thinking of.

Why is it infamous Nate?

It's infamous around here mainly because of its contribution to the flooding in New Orleans after Katrina. I'm sure you've seen a bunch of pictures like this showing the results of the levee breach of the Industrial Canal:

indcansouth.jpg

050830_katrina_hlrg_10ahlarge.jpg

A little bit more about Louisiana Boardwalk...

The 'Boardwalk' was actually an afterthought. Initially it was to be called Louisiana Riverwalk, but after a bit of legal wrangling with the owners of Riverwalk Marketplace in New Orleans over the usage of the word 'Riverwalk,' the developers scrambled to find a new name that would still be fitting. Once they settled on the name Louisiana Boardwalk, the plans were modified slightly to include an actual Boardwalk rather than a brick/concrete riverwalk. But did they build an actual 'boardwalk?' Well, the answer to that is "yes and no." They actually built a concrete walkway, but stamped and stained it to mimic wood. Here's a photo to show what I'm talking about:

Remember... this is stamped and stained concrete, not wood:

184570237.jpg

Another thing about Louisiana Boardwalk is that music is piped into the property by a system of speakers. Some are hidden among the landscaping, while others are mounted to light posts. This way, even if you're just down from Bass Pro Shop, you're hearing the same music that someone 1/2 mile away near the parking garage is hearing. Here's an photo of speakers attached to one of the Boardwalk's lightposts. I wasn't going to post this photo, because some of my camera's sensor dust showed up in it, but I didn't want to mess with Photoshop... so here it is anyway:

184570241.jpg

Edited by SBCmetroguy

Nice shots yall. I enjoy them and appreciate the post.

I hope the levees will be properly rebuilt. Many just don't feel safe they say until the can know that the levees do not bust again.. It's not an easy task.

Boardwalk was a nice alternative name. Looks like a very nice place. My wife will probably raid the Gap outlet.

Edited by richyb83

Nice shots yall. I enjoy them and appreciate the post.

I hope the levees will be properly rebuilt. Many just don't feel safe they say until the can know that the levees do not bust again.. It's not an easy task.

Boardwalk was a nice alternative name. Looks like a very nice place. My wife will probably raid the Gap outlet.

I doubt that's the only store she'd raid. :lol: But if she's a fan of the Gap, she'd probably have a good time there for sure.

I do hope you guys are able to check it out someday, although once Perkins Rowe opens it may not be quite as impressive. It doesn't have a residential component at all, unlike the brownstones that Perkins Rowe is supposed to have.

But still, it's a great development. And if you have children, they have Build-A-Bear Workshop, a carousel, fountains, the trolley, etc.

A little bit more about Louisiana Boardwalk...

The 'Boardwalk' was actually an afterthought. Initially it was to be called Louisiana Riverwalk, but after a bit of legal wrangling with the owners of Riverwalk Marketplace in New Orleans over the usage of the word 'Riverwalk,' the developers scrambled to find a new name that would still be fitting. Once they settled on the name Louisiana Boardwalk, the plans were modified slightly to include an actual Boardwalk rather than a brick/concrete riverwalk. But did they build an actual 'boardwalk?' Well, the answer to that is "yes and no." They actually built a concrete walkway, but stamped and stained it to mimic wood. Here's a photo to show what I'm talking about:

Remember... this is stamped and stained concrete, not wood:

Another thing about Louisiana Boardwalk is that music is piped into the property by a system of speakers. Some are hidden among the landscaping, while others are mounted to light posts. This way, even if you're just down from Bass Pro Shop, you're hearing the same music that someone 1/2 mile away near the parking garage is hearing. Here's an photo of speakers attached to one of the Boardwalk's lightposts. I wasn't going to post this photo, because some of my camera's sensor dust showed up in it, but I didn't want to mess with Photoshop... so here it is anyway:

Interesting, at least they did make the effort and didn't just slap the boardwalk name on there. Also interesting is the music, I don't I've seen anything like this at all up here in Arkansas. I also can't say I've seen a lamppost quite like that either. :D

I had heard they were begining to experience some problems with low water levels around Vicksburg.

That's not good. If the Mississippi gets too low, commerce along it will surely slow.

I heard today that Toledo Bend is approaching record low levels as well.

I know the bayou that I grew up playing in has never been so dry as long as I can remember. I was never able to walk right across it without there even being any mud. It rained recently so there was some mud, but before that, it was dry as a bone. I drove by a while back and couldn't believe my eyes.

Nice pics Brian, that last one really has an interesting look to it. :D

Thanks. I like that one because it's very colorful and it includes many of the components of the Boardwalk: shoppers, restaurants, the actual "boardwalk," the river overlooks, the bridge, and a small peak at the Bass Pro Shop.

I have GOT to try something different with resizing my images. The compression is seriously showing in these.

Great pics there Brian. La.Boardwalk looks great. Great landscaping too :thumbsup: I have never heard of the SF Oven before.

That's not good. If the Mississippi gets too low, commerce along it will surely slow.

No it's surely not. Tonite's news also said the St.Francisville ferry will closed for a couple of weeks because of the low water levels. The Army Corps. of Engineers will be dredging the area in the up coming weeks unless things change. They would like them there sooner.

Hopefully the bayou' will fill back-up near you. This has been some extreme weather everywhere it seems lately; for a few years actually.