Hanes Mall Boulevard & Stratford Road

twincity

Next time, use a camera phone and feign a conversation while taking pics. A straight out camera will get you booted out of retail store IMMEDIATELY. They're very concerned about competition and that's a red flag.

Yes, a camera phone would be a good choice for next time but I don't have the MotoPhone Tools software to transfer the photos to the computer:) I figured I could get away with it this once (I've actually never done this) and nobody would care. Come to find out I had a security guy following me till I got to the third floor. :lol: Plus, even though my phone's camera is 1.2 megapixels, it still doesn't do that good of a job.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well tonight I went to the opening of Macy*s and I must say alot of people were there and buying up the new merchandise. Macy*s had a decent selection of Polo Ralph Lauren, Perry Ellis, Nautica, Lauren by Ralph Lauren, and Izod. They had Nine West handbags and accessories and Steve Madden shoes, bags, and accessories. On the top (3rd) floor they had a nice selection of china and home furnishings. Overall they had a decent selection of merchandise but I don't know what to compare it to at the old Hecht's since I hardly went in there. I do remember that this Macy*s had a much more wider selection of Ralph Lauren clothing then I remember. Do any of you remember what merchandise Hecht's used to carry in this store? Unfortunately I didn't get to view the whole store since I was questioned why I had a camera in the store and was asked to leave. :angry: Ugghhh........but I did get some photos................
Those are great pictures, DA.

Unfortunately, that store looks pretty much the same as it did as Hecht's (and as Thalhimers before). It's also merchandised about the same. For all the hype about the new Macy's, I'm not bowled over.

Camera phones are easier to grab in-store pictures, but I was busted at Hecht's at Crabtree Valley Mall with one. It's not about stopping competitiors, it's about power. Security guards would rather harass mall geeks than catch shoplifters because it's easier work, so they push us around, knowing we will quietly leave.

The best advice is to be as discreet as possible and move quickly. The faster you can get in and out, the less you'll get harassed.

To start off, let me note that Copelands off Hanes Mall Blvd is now closed due to poor business.

I didn't catch this when I originally read your post. I had big hopes for Copelands but the service and food there (at least IMO) was just absolutely terrible. I went twice and swore it off. The last time I was there, the sanitation grade was like an 85.5! Maybe if they had run it better it would have been more successful, not to mention the terrible location, tucked way up on the hill there...

seems like alot of Copelands has closed...are there still some around?

A few yrs ago, well probably 4 or 5 when I was in Wilmington the one at Market and New Centre (now MLK Parkway) closed, and around that time the Myrtle Beach location closed, and a year or two back the one in Cary at Crossroads closed....

Sagebrush was bought out and was supposed to be turned into a fancy steakhouse.

Well, that makes absolutely no sense as it has mentioned before, Winston does not lack for steakhouses especially around the Hanes Mall. As for the fancy steakhouse, that new Texas Cattlemens restaurant at Little Shoppes will address that need supposely and we do have WS Prime downtown as well.

As for Copelands' problems, I think its growth came out of the fad for New Orleans style cooking, both Creole and Cajun, which as fads do has diminished in popularity over the years. How many people now say "Let's do Cajun!"?

• 2 weeks later...

There is a website for Texas Land & Cattle and frankly I am disappointed. I was under the impression that this was to be an upscale version of a steakhouse though not in the range of a Morton's or a Ruth Chris. Looking at their menu online shows a similar line of offerings you can get anywhere at any decent steakhouse just perhaps in a better setting.

• 1 month later...

The closed Sagebrush restaurant on Stratford Rd is going to be a Walgreens pharmacy. At one time, an Eckerds was proposed where the mini-golf course was and now is agains. I wonder how many more drugstores we need in this city.

As our population grays and grows and we luv our pills, I'd say before long we'll have 2 or 3 drugstores on every corner.....

The closed Sagebrush restaurant on Stratford Rd is going to be a Walgreens pharmacy. At one time, an Eckerds was proposed where the mini-golf course was and now is agains. I wonder how many more drugstores we need in this city.

I could have sworn I heard somewhere that another "upscale" steakhouse was to be opened on this site by the person who bought this Sagebrush restaurant property out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wings over America has announced they are opening a "Wild Wings Cafe" in the former Copelands location off Hanes Mall Blvd. They have already started hiring. Sounds like they have karoake, trivia, and live music. It should be a good fit with the hotels and retail in the area.

WSJ Business briefs about Wild Wings

Also, Starbucks on Jonestown Rd. opens this coming Saturday. The one in the fomer Fazoli's location on University opens on Feb. 3. And just to remind everyone there is one under construct on Reynolda Rd next to the McDonald's McCafe and also one in Clemmons next to the new Walgreens.

WSJ Business briefs article about Starbucks openings/locations

• 1 month later...

Is that the haunted double murder Steak and Ale? I would raze that place.

Yes it is, bad karma there.

That restaurant has been a Stake and Ale, Louie Blue's Seafood Grille, Society 59, I Bambini, and now Pancho Villa's. I think I'm missing one other restaurant.

Archived