The Floridan

Florida

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the Design and think it will fit in nice with that location. This should appease those that wanted the other hotel so badly next to the convention center.

While this one will give the downtown needed hotel rooms, it will not have the convention space adjacent, the Civic Center. We desperately need that type of hotel to host conventions that we as the Capital City farm out to other cities in the State. That equates to a lot of lost revenue.

Agreed. I'd would look at Developing the Parcel South of the Civic Center with a connector to the civic center via pedestrian bridge or underground tunnel. I this way we don't have to remove the current parking at the civic center, and we can develop an undeveloped parcel of land to better connect with the Gaines Street revitalization.

Agreed. I'd would look at Developing the Parcel South of the Civic Center with a connector to the civic center via pedestrian bridge or underground tunnel. I this way we don't have to remove the current parking at the civic center, and we can develop an undeveloped parcel of land to better connect with the Gaines Street revitalization.

Developing the southern parcel is a good idea, but I still think the parking lot is in much need of development. I'd prefer to see a parking garage in conjunction with something else (really tall) to use all that air space. Some may disagree, but the Civic Center is downtown and a parking lot in a downtown is not the most cost-effective use of property because land is too expensive.

Our local government needs to kick the current players to the curb (actually it isn't a bad idea to kick some of the current members of the local government to the curb also) and bring in a developer who has knows how to implement a development scheme for a much needed convention center hotel. No other parcel of land in Tallahassee is more suitable for this type of development than the Civic Center property - period.

I like your comments. What do you think of Ron Spencer's leadership at the Civic Center?

Here's a look at the Floridan Sign we've all heard about:

SonyShots039.jpg

SonyShots040.jpg

The actual lot now free of Tennyson Construction Materials.

Notice: The lack of a setback = Pedestrian Intimacy = good urban design.

• 2 weeks later...

I like your comments. What do you think of Ron Spencer's leadership at the Civic Center?

Here's a look at the Floridan Sign we've all heard about:

SonyShots039.jpg

SonyShots040.jpg

The actual lot now free of Tennyson Construction Materials.

Notice: The lack of a setback = Pedestrian Intimacy = good urban design.

I recieved confirmation that this is a SOLID project.

I was driving around the area yesterday and could easily picture this bldg at this location, I am excited for this one mainly because this intersection is traveled by almost every one at least once during the week. By the look of the rendering with the BOLD signage the city council and the powers that be cant afford to mess this one up So far I like what I see in the Rendering. :thumbsup: Thumbs up here!!

That is great news TJ. This project excites me too. I like all things about this project: the location, the shape of the bldg., the signage and the 3 uses for this bldg: hotel, office and retail on the bottom. This bldg. will mark a great entrance into our inner core of downtown. It will be a type of landmark that gives you a sense of place and arrival. I know some would like it higher which would be great, but overall I'm very happy w/what they are proposing and hope it happens soon. I also hope that when completed it will look like what they promised. I'll keep an eye on its progress since it's only 3 blks from my house and I'll pass by it several times a day.

Let's see it GG!

Here's what FAMU did the last time the city commissioned them to look into the future of Downtown Tallahassee.

BOARD1.jpg

This instead of Plaza Tower? I think not!!

BOARD3.jpg

This looks like a good idea yet to be explored!

BOARD6.jpg

Pedestrian Mall between City Hall and Courthouse??? Not necessary!

BOARD2.jpg

This Adams better than the one we have?

BOARD7.jpg

Check out this Challenger Learning Center

BOARD5.jpg

This was enough to scare Debbie Lightsey! LOL! It scared me too!!!

BOARD4.jpg

Possibly the most beautiful and realistic of FAMU's suggestions.

Overall: Thinking too small in some places and too large in others.

Let's see it GG!

Here's what FAMU did the last time the city commissioned them to look into the future of Downtown Tallahassee.

Nothing looks too big to me, everything seems small and gloomy. Folks, where is the vision in the city. There is absolutely nothing in those photos that remotely resemble a city striving to become a technology hub for the region. Where is the cosmopolitian atmosphere and the CBD? The only thing that's close to being innovative is the pedestrian over Duval Street.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived