Virginia Beach Light Rail and Transit

vdogg

Even if not at first i'm certain it will be an eventuality. I'm not as concerned with that right now as I am with just getting the thing off the ground. I imagine during the summer months this can become a spectacular success with people opting to leave their cars in the pembroke area and take rail to the oceanfront.

I had a feeling this was going to be brought up after the BRT was shot down. I think consultants told them that it would be wise to have a single regional mass transit system.

Never really bought the oceana thing as the reason for BRT being killed.

A few weeks ago I was complaining about the lack of any Town Center signs along I-264. Today I noticed that they're putting the stakes into the ground for new signs along the roadside. These appear to be for the "points of interest" type of signs. (all appear to be from the beach to about Laskin Rd) So hold your breath, and I'll say my prayers that my pet peeve will be solved.

Also something worth noting. The Laskin Rd gateway project is really getting underway. Baltic Ave(from 29th to Laskin) and 30th St(Arctic to Baltic) are totally dug up and new sewage/water pipes are going in. Prep work for behind the Farm Fresh is done. All power lines/utilities are going to be burried. It's a mess right now, hopefully they'll make this into a nice grand entrance for the ocean front. It will make it really urban looking with a three lane highway(two inbound &1outbound) butting up against the new condos being built there.

Also something worth noting. The Laskin Rd gateway project is really getting underway. Baltic Ave(from 29th to Laskin) and 30th St(Arctic to Baltic) are totally dug up and new sewage/water pipes are going in. Prep work for behind the Farm Fresh is done. All power lines/utilities are going to be burried. It's a mess right now, hopefully they'll make this into a nice grand entrance for the ocean front. It will make it really urban looking with a three lane highway(two inbound &1outbound) butting up against the new condos being built there.

Can't wait to see the end result. I need to get down there soon and take some pics.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is a bit of arm twisting. I hope it works.

Doubtful. The anti-tax side is so hopelessly entrenched that I don't see any possible solution to this. No tolls, no taxes, I don't know where people think we're supposed to get the money from. I despise both but that's obviously what is needed.

Doubtful. The anti-tax side is so hopelessly entrenched that I don't see any possible solution to this. No tolls, no taxes, I don't know where people think we're supposed to get the money from. I despise both but that's obviously what is needed.

As much as I know that we need to find a way for funding transportation, I don't feel that taxes are the way. Heck, Warner just pushed through a large tax increase a couple years ago, the state has billion dollar surplusses. How bout we just use the money we have and stop pouring these surplusses into decrepit schools and waste projects.

As much as I know that we need to find a way for funding transportation, I don't feel that taxes are the way. Heck, Warner just pushed through a large tax increase a couple years ago, the state has billion dollar surplusses. How bout we just use the money we have and stop pouring these surplusses into decrepit schools and waste projects.

Are you seriously suggesting that the solution to our transportation problem is cutting funding to schools?

Are you seriously suggesting that the solution to our transportation problem is cutting funding to schools?

No what I'm saying is instead of dumping that surpluss into schools we dump it into transportation. Then we go through the budget and fine the dead mules that keep costing us money and clean house. We just had a tax increase and another one is unwarranted when we keep having billion dollar surplusses. However, i'm not against stripping schools of money if they can't preform. I've been to both sides of the story and let me tell you private schools have a big advantage over public schools. Guess what? They do it with much less money per student also.

• 1 month later...

With how the state is doing with transportation, I don't know if there will be a southeastern parkway.

With the way the states handled transportation so far this year the only new roads will be dirt roads. I'm not holding out hope for anything fancier than that. :rolleyes:

One way or another, tolls are coming. We'll see that and more work-at-home and more rideshare long before we can adequately build our way out of this. There just doesn't seem to be any other way. It' s depressing, but it should help the more urban areas prosper (ie. downtowns and town centers).

One way or another, tolls are coming. We'll see that and more work-at-home and more rideshare long before we can adequately build our way out of this. There just doesn't seem to be any other way. It' s depressing, but it should help the more urban areas prosper (ie. downtowns and town centers).

I agree Padman. Tolls are extremely necessary. While state and local taxpayers may have footed the bill for the construction of 264 (I am not knowledgable about its history), too many people today use it without much of a personal cost. A toll should be reinstated if any road construction project will succeed. I will have to find the article somewhere, but I read that 20 years from now...the state will not be able to build ANY new roads due to budget constraints, and the budget will not even be able to appropriate enough funds for essential road repairs. This type of dire prediction is being voiced nationwide. Tolls will be here to stay I'm afraid.

I agree Padman. Tolls are extremely necessary. While state and local taxpayers may have footed the bill for the construction of 264 (I am not knowledgable about its history), too many people today use it without much of a personal cost. A toll should be reinstated if any road construction project will succeed. I will have to find the article somewhere, but I read that 20 years from now...the state will not be able to build ANY new roads due to budget constraints, and the budget will not even be able to appropriate enough funds for essential road repairs. This type of dire prediction is being voiced nationwide. Tolls will be here to stay I'm afraid.

I tell you why people are tired of all of these taxes! You have pay taxes when you die, when you pump gas, buy a soda, buy a car, buy a house, own a house, own a car....etc. Where in the world does it all go? Alot of it is wasted and it upsets people. They think this money in tolls will disappear as well.

Taxes are part of being human in this age... We are fortunate enough to pay some of the smallest taxes in the world. I agree it sucks to pay them, but they aren't going anywhere.

If as a society, including myself, if we'd lessen our love affair with the automobile and utilize more public transit and have more public transit available... not to mention curb some of the sprawling growth that spawns much of this traffic... we'd be better off.

Taxes are part of being human in this age... We are fortunate enough to pay some of the smallest taxes in the world. I agree it sucks to pay them, but they aren't going anywhere.

If as a society, including myself, if we'd lessen our love affair with the automobile and utilize more public transit and have more public transit available... not to mention curb some of the sprawling growth that spawns much of this traffic... we'd be better off.

Well we can't help that we don't have the public transit to get around. If the state wants us to be less dependant than they should push harder for public transportation other than buses.

Unless we find a permanent solution to our aging infrastructure, America will collapse under the weight of maintaining the existing and expanding for growth. The more sprawl there is, the more miles of roads, water mains, and sewer lines there are to maintain. In addition, the more buildings are needed to make public services (schools, fire/rescue, libraries, etc.) accessible to distant residents. Something has to give: either pay more taxes or change our lifestyles.

The irony of it all is that mass transit is responsible for this sprawl. In the days of horse and buggy, sprawl was limited by the distance a horse could reasonably travel. Only the wealthy could really afford living away from the city. Then came trains which brought about suburbs making it easier for the wealthy and upper-middle class to move out of the city. With the advent of tramways, the middle class could flee to the burbs. When cars became affordable, all those who relied on trains and trams/streetcars switched to cars. The financial problems of these train companies allowed GM and other bus companies to buy the train companies out and replace them with buses and cheaper cars creating a need for more roads. All this culminated in our lovely interstate system which turns 50 years old this year.

Railroad companies own the rails and the trains. Railroads are maintained by the company however their construction is partially subsidized by the government. Maybe we should approach our highway system in the same way: privatize it. City streets would still be government owned but highways would be privately owned with some public subsidy for construction, or at least privately operated and maintained.