Triangle relocation thread

harringtonhouse

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I just accepted a position in RTP. I'm 34 and single. Looking in the $200K to $300K range. I graduated from NC state 12 years ago so I am familiar with the area but a lot has changed. From the research I have done, the following are looking interesting:

Raleigh Downtown

Morrisville

Cary

Apex

Brier Creek Area

Durham

Chapel Hill

Carpenter Village

I'm focused on condo's/townhomes but am also interested in houses.

I just accepted a position in RTP. I'm 34 and single. Looking in the $200K to $300K range. I graduated from NC state 12 years ago so I am familiar with the area but a lot has changed. From the research I have done, the following are looking interesting:

Raleigh Downtown

Morrisville

Cary

Apex

Brier Creek Area

Durham

Chapel Hill

Carpenter Village

Raleigh Downtown

Morrisville

Cary

Apex

Brier Creek Area

Durham

Chapel Hill

Carpenter Village

Here's the Davis Park thread FYI. If you like urbanism at all, stay clear of Brier Creek and most of Cary for your own good.

If you don't mind some of the minor image problems, Durham is a great place to start... reasonably affordable, easy RTP commute via 147, original and funky. Chapel-Hill would be tougher to find something affordable (although Carrboro is worth a look) and the commute will be tougher. DT Raleigh, the commute is the toughest, but the condo market is most developed.

Raleigh Downtown

Morrisville

Cary

Apex

Brier Creek Area

Durham

Chapel Hill

Carpenter Village

• 1 month later...

If you can work a slightly shifted schedule, the neighborhood just east of downtown Raleigh isn't so bad.

I leave home just before 9 and can get to my office near I-40/147 at just about 30 minutes. And I can take a Triangle Transit Authority bus if I want/need to. The neighborhood just east of downtown is in the beginning of a "transistion" phase similar to what you describe in Austin.

The closest to what you describe in Durham I think would be old north Durham. It is not too far from the Durham Freeway to get to work ( hybrid Google map ), and a quick bike ride to downtown Durham. I don't know how much of a "good equity opportunity" that neighborhood is, since I don't know what the current prices are there. But it should be cheaper than the 9th street/Duke East campus (Buchanan to Gregson street) area, since that is more established.

If you could find a six month rental, that should give you enough time to get your feet wet and decide, and beat the increased prices that may come to all neighborhoods near downtown Durham in the near future.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to live downtown and be in the middle of everything, but working in RTP, I decided that I would rather live in a new energy efficient house and have a short efficient commute. I live in Morrisville, and while it's a pain to have to drive downtown to go out, I am equidistant from downtown Chapel Hill, Raleigh, and Durham.

A couple thoughts:

Durham sounds like it is what you might be looking for. It's a funky, urban town that has a great dining scene. If you would decide to get in around West Village, I think you'll enjoy Federal, Alivia's, Fishmongers, Rue Cler (beignets, yum) and plenty of other neighborhood spots between Brighleaf Square and downtown. You also have a good independent grocer in Otis & Parker nearby...commuting to RTP is a piece of cake from there. The amount of development isn't in line with Raleigh, but many people prefer the vibe there actually.

Regarding Morrisville--not much there to speak of (no downtown), but it's growing rapidly (and some amenities are starting to catch up---Saffron's probably the best Indian I've had here), and as far as suburbs are concerned--it's probably the most ideally situated place--close to Raleigh, RTP, Durham, airport and Chapel Hill...not bad. With the new section of 540 now cutting through it, you're guaranteed to get places easily as that section is pretty traffic free at the moment.

Hey Everyone,

I got a call today about a couple of property management positions I applied for in Raleigh and so I am now doing a little bit of research on the area. I've been to Raleigh a couple of times but they were quick day trips so i'm not entirely familiar with the area. Just curious what you all in RDU have to say about it and what its like compared to Charlotte? What areas of Raleigh are good and what areas of Raleigh should I avoid if I start looking for an apartment? If I do go interview one of the positions is in Carey and the other one is in Northwest Raleigh on Lake Lynn. Also I am a gay man so is it pretty comfortable for a guy like me? LOL.

Thanks in advance!

Adam :)

Well the mods will surely move this to the "Triangle Relocation Thread" up on the the main Triangle page, but I'll try to help in the meantime, and hopefully they'll move my answer there along with your question. (Edit: Boy they're fast!)

Since this is "UrbanPlanet" you of course would realize most of us would urge you to look downtown or at least neighborhoods around it. Add the fact you're gay and that'll probably make even more sense for you to do so. Areas "Inside-The-Beltline" (ie, in and around downtown) will be more liberal, gay-accepting, and so forth. Plus you'll be in proximity to nightlife, restaurants, the arts, and other interesting things to do in the city.

So...keep an eye out for the downtown areas, particularly if you're up for condos or apartments. The west side of downtown particularly is a good place to start for apartments...let me know if you'd like some names of complexes. For single-family houses (including rentals), nearby neighborhoods would include Boylan Heights, Oakwood, Mordecai, Glenwood South, Brooklyn, Cameron Park, Oberlin/Cameron Village, University Park, Longview, Five Points/Hayes-Barton, and so on. You'd probably see several on craigslist there.

And most of those downtown & Inside-Beltline areas would be an easy commute to NW Raleigh/Lake Lynn or Cary should your job be there...because you'd kinda be going the opposite of traffic flow.

As RaleighRob said, anywhere "Inside the Beltline" in Raleigh is great. Raleigh's really on the move right now, so putting yourself anywhere near the downtown core is a sound investment. Raleigh's starting to decide it wants to be a real city now--so getting in now to enjoy the ride could be fun. Durham's a steal right now, and IMO the next big thing as those buildings start to come to life--I estimate a total revitalization in 5 years. Carrboro/Chapel Hill is off the charts as a place to live (the best walkable area in the Triangle currently) if you can afford it. Great shops, restaurants and bars--and free buses.

Hey Everyone,

I got a call today about a couple of property management positions I applied for in Raleigh and so I am now doing a little bit of research on the area. I've been to Raleigh a couple of times but they were quick day trips so i'm not entirely familiar with the area. Just curious what you all in RDU have to say about it and what its like compared to Charlotte? What areas of Raleigh are good and what areas of Raleigh should I avoid if I start looking for an apartment? If I do go interview one of the positions is in Carey and the other one is in Northwest Raleigh on Lake Lynn. Also I am a gay man so is it pretty comfortable for a guy like me? LOL.

Thanks in advance!

Adam :)

• 3 weeks later...

I hope someone can help me out with a real-estate question.

I've been looking at the new condo's being planned for downtown (Plaza, Hue, etc), if I walk into one of these places during the pre-order phase (properties are not MLS listed yet) with a buyer broker representing me, will the developer typically pay the buyer's broker's fee, or should I expect to be on the hook for that? Appreciate any feedback

Archived