Triangle relocation thread

harringtonhouse

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a UNC alum, I am going to forward my concerns about the visitor center being closed on weekends. My current school, Duke, seems to be more on the ball with regards to this.

Duke Visitor Site

If you need to know anything else to do or see just ask.

Here is the UNC visitors site as well.

UNC Visitors site

and Chapel Hill/Orange County visitors site

CHOCVB

They've clear cut the area, moved a lot of dirt, and started construction on the clubhouse.

It is interesting that they did not label Tryon Road on their site plan map, even though they are designing the clubhouse to look like Tryon Palace. The "cut out" white area in the map in this thread is where Pack and Save, Taco Bell, etc. are currently. Instead of being part of the community, parking lots and the clubhouse buffer Rennisance Park from its surroundings. Nothing fronts Tryon Road.

it is really,REALLY,hard for me to get info on this-I live in miami,And have been waiting for info on this for over a year.

Can anyone take pictures of the location ,surrounding area,etc....

also,what is the surrounding area like? Is it nice?

I took a trip to see bedford and really liked it,i guess this is just south of downtown right?

Id love to hear what else is around,i have a one year old-is the surrounding area safe?

thanks for the info everyone,

as for the last post---uh,my question was by no means rude-nor was i "impatient" with anyone on this forum-i stated that it was difficult for me to find info on renaissance park....that in no way means anyone from this sight has been anything but helpful to me and i appreciaite it...Any "research-without me lifting a finger" was a request/inquiry if anyone had done a drive by or visit to a sales center---no offense meant to you orulz.

My posts are very few and far between and your right that they are geared towards relocation---but we are talking about 7-10 posts in a year---nothing to worry about.

I very much pbserving the site and didnt mean to offend,but my question was in no way rude-and further more the catch phrase on the renaissance prak website is "an URBAN take on traditional living"-but i get your point about this forums purpose..

Anyway,thanks in a to anyone who has or will respond-in my visit i had a great time in the city...

I will go back to my one question every month and a half or so---as always thanks for the ingo

• 2 weeks later...

I am considering moving to the area probably in the fall and I am considering DT Raleigh. I will be coming down this weekend to beat the streets and check out some neighborhoods. Ideally, I would like to lease a small house that I could walk to retail, restaurants, museums, etc. Any suggestions on neighborhoods would be most appreciated. Also, please advise what area/streets of DT this would be in as I don't really know my way around. Thanks again.

I am considering moving to the area probably in the fall and I am considering DT Raleigh. I will be coming down this weekend to beat the streets and check out some neighborhoods. Ideally, I would like to lease a small house that I could walk to retail, restaurants, museums, etc. Any suggestions on neighborhoods would be most appreciated. Also, please advise what area/streets of DT this would be in as I don't really know my way around. Thanks again.

Glenwood-Brooklyn, the area northwest of the Glenwood/Peace intersection would put you on the edge of walking distance to Cameron Village (two grocery stores, drug store, library, etc.) and pretty close to Glenwood South, full of bars and restaurants. It woudl be about a 15-20 minute walk to two museums -- Natural sciences and NC history.

Mordecai has some smallish houses mixed in with the larger ones, but I don't know how many are avaible for rent. There are more on the east side of Wake Forest Road between the Person Street bend and Capital Blvd., but there are a few on the west side too.

If price is an issue, the neighborhood north of Mordecai is not within walking distance of anything, but is well within biking distance and on a bus route. If you don't mind being an urban pioneer, you could consider the neighborhood east of dowtown. There are a lot of smaller houses, but the condition they are in varies widely. The closer to downtown the better, with Haywood Street currently serving as a dividing line, with neighborhood quality drop off east of there.

My neighbors and I are rennovating a two story, four rooms plus bathroom and kitchen, 800+ sq ft house from the 1890s. We hope to have someone in before your moving timeframe, but there may be similar houses available then.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I very much pbserving the site and didnt mean to offend,but my question was in no way rude-and further more the catch phrase on the renaissance prak website is "an URBAN take on traditional living"-but i get your point about this forums purpose..

I have mixed feelings about Rennisance Park. On one hand, it is good adaptive reuse of the old airstrip, land that gone unused for years. But it also feels like it is squeezing in as many units as possible with little connection to the office and retail component. The fact that their map colors the railroad tracks on the western boundary as green seems a bit misleading. Prospective out of area buyers like canine7 might not know they'll be so close to the tracks if they don't research the area futher.

Regarding the tracks, this is the same line that goes north through Dix campus and south to Fuquay-Varina and eventually Sandford. They could have used space at the Tryon intersection for retail that eventually could become a transit station. But their plans make sure that will *never* happen. It is not an urban take on anything -- it is a self-contained subdivsion bordering an office/retail parcel.

I guess we're getting off topic here, but...

what do you think about Southern Village and Meadowmont. There is a small amt of integrated mixed use there, but the vast majority of residential is segragated fro the retail and so forth... yet these developments are often praised for their new-urbanist designs. I think they are sort of the the next step in the right direction in good mixed use development, but not necessarily the optimum or most efficient layouts.

I guess we're getting off topic here, but...

what do you think about Southern Village and Meadowmont. There is a small amt of integrated mixed use there, but the vast majority of residential is segragated fro the retail and so forth... yet these developments are often praised for their new-urbanist designs. I think they are sort of the the next step in the right direction in good mixed use development, but not necessarily the optimum or most efficient layouts.

I don't know that much about Southern Village but what I've seen in Meadowmont isn't a whole much more "mixed-use" than Cameron Village, really....shopping areas surrounded by residential. The only difference is that Meadowmont stuck like two dozen apartments on top of some of their restaurants. (Last I heard, a third of them are still vacant?)

• 1 month later...

Archived