Triangle relocation thread

harringtonhouse

I think I may have posted this before but when I visited the area about 5 weeks ago on a Sunday there was very few people out and about. I actually had a difficult time trying to find somewhere to eat lunch - most were closed. The few restaurants I did find together (City Market area I think) were pretty busy. And maybe it's just me but I walked in a couple of them (that were open)and I waited around about a minute and no one acknowledged me. Finally, I just walked out looking for somewhere else. Not a great impression for sure.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am interested in purchasing a home inside or near the 440 beltline. I am looking a home minutes from North Hills Mall in the Hickory Hills area that has a two car garage and 4 bdrs. I have also been looking at significantly smaller places in the Five Points area and Oakwood.

Any thoughts on home appreciation among these areas in the next few years? I know with all the plans to expand North Hills mall I am sure real estate in that area will go up significantly, but Oakwood and Five Points seem to also be going strong. Though I only have at most $250K to spend on a home and some of the homes in the North Hills area are outdated and are a great investment for updating.

Where am I most likely in Raleigh to buy a $250K home and in three years have it be worth signifiantly more?

I would like to re-emphasize that this site is not a real estate site, and is not meant to help you earn a profit on your real estate dealings. If you want to ask questions about nice neighborhoods, good schools, where traffic is lighter or commuting is convenient, where entertainment is close at hand, etc, that's fine.

But questions like "If I buy this home will it appreciate well" are not in line with the point of this forum. It only helps you make a profit and has nothing to do with discussion of or improvements in our community. And to quote dubone and monsoon, UP forumers don't make enough money to help you make a profit. Thanks!

While Saturdays are picking up around Fayetville Street, Sundays are still not good for DT Raleigh. There is a brunch at Tir Na Nog, Woodys in City Market has just about every football game on, El Rodeo is open, and Tony's Cafe may be open, but that's it. It is still in the "test the waters" phase, and will hopefully improve over time. Port City didn't open on the weekends, so they're still probably working out the kinks of when to leave the "open" sign on.

Glenwood South fares a little better, with Char Grill/Snoopys, Hibernian, Mellow Mushroom, etc. and the museum area always has some people around.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I are getting ready to relocate to Raleigh from Northern VA area. The house we are most interested in purchasing is right above Crabtree Mall in an area beside Brookhaven Nature Park called Turnberry. The house is right off Plaza street. Is this a good area for equity growth and for conveniences? We want to be as close to the urban life as we can get yet still have a great size home in a nice quiet neighborhood.

My wife and I are getting ready to relocate to Raleigh from Northern VA area. The house we are most interested in purchasing is right above Crabtree Mall in an area beside Brookhaven Nature Park called Turnberry. The house is right off Plaza street. Is this a good area for equity growth and for conveniences? We want to be as close to the urban life as we can get yet still have a great size home in a nice quiet neighborhood.

You're about to have a 47 storey skyscraper in your backyard in a couple of years.

its across the street from crabtree mall, called the soleil center and they might put an 18 story in front of it

http://www.soleilcenter.com/

[/quote

not sure this freightens me all that much. Skyscrapers could be pretty cool. I think the city looks a little bland right now anyhow. It could improve things in that area. What do you think the pro's and cons are for this? Love to hear your opinions. thanks

when is this due to be finished?

word is that it will break ground in november and finish late '08 or into '09. its a controversial topic because of the location being away from downtown, but it seems everyone this forum would like it downtown instead of out by crabtree. i support it either way. glimpse through this ongoing thread, for more opinions and info

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=24851

hi again... i had a question about cell phone providers out there.... I will be moving out there in May and my cell phone plan ends before so i need to re-instate service with a provider... i was wondering which cell phone providers got the best reception in North Carolina... i will specifically be living in West/Northwest Raleigh just outside of the beltline, along the I-70 and near that huge park.. i forget the name... I have cingular now... but have read reviews on a few different websites and it seems that everyone loves or hates every service they have ... there are very mixed reviews and i didn't find any one cell company to seem to have better reception over the others... there must be one or two companies that outshine the rest.. anyone have any input on this? im just wondering whether i should stay with cingular or switch to verizon or another service, i'd like a company with a large network since most of my family/friends are in California. Thanks!

summer is officially over... cant wait till i am out there and that actually means something!! :) its been one season all year round here for the past 25 years, it'll be nice and strange to see the changes around town and in the weather.

Side note... i will be flying out probably in february to look for a home... can someone help me out with what the weather will most likely be? i know regardless i will be freezing if it's colder than 65 :) but i wanna see if i am gonna need to go buy a heavy jacket/scarf for the trip!! or if there will be ice or anything. im sure i probably sound clueless, and i am, the only time i see cold weather is when i purposely drive up to the mountains and then im ready for it.

i have sprint and i havnt had any problems with it, but i'm really not an expert and i havnt tried anything else.

as far as weather, february is one of the coldest months, along with january. It usually snows here about 0-2 times per year, which is nice at first, but then sometimes it gets warmer (by warmer i mean 40's) melts the snow and an overnight cold freezes all the snow. a bad snow/ice storm is rare and if it happens it really slows down the city, no real experience dealing with it like the cities up north. i think a good way to sum up the temperatures in february is in the 40s during the day most of the time, sometimes they get into the 30s, but usually at night. 20s can occur and teens are pretty rare, but cant rule it out. but a sunny, cold day is gorgeous out here :D

Hey there 'pariayazi, drop me an email to [email protected] I've ben putting tons of the same type of info you're looking for. Maybe we can share what we've found without slugging up the forum.

hi again... i had a question about cell phone providers out there.... I will be moving out there in May and my cell phone plan ends before so i need to re-instate service with a provider... i was wondering which cell phone providers got the best reception in North Carolina... i will specifically be living in West/Northwest Raleigh just outside of the beltline, along the I-70 and near that huge park.. i forget the name... I have cingular now... but have read reviews on a few different websites and it seems that everyone loves or hates every service they have ... there are very mixed reviews and i didn't find any one cell company to seem to have better reception over the others... there must be one or two companies that outshine the rest.. anyone have any input on this? im just wondering whether i should stay with cingular or switch to verizon or another service, i'd like a company with a large network since most of my family/friends are in California. Thanks!

summer is officially over... cant wait till i am out there and that actually means something!! :) its been one season all year round here for the past 25 years, it'll be nice and strange to see the changes around town and in the weather.

Side note... i will be flying out probably in february to look for a home... can someone help me out with what the weather will most likely be? i know regardless i will be freezing if it's colder than 65 :) but i wanna see if i am gonna need to go buy a heavy jacket/scarf for the trip!! or if there will be ice or anything. im sure i probably sound clueless, and i am, the only time i see cold weather is when i purposely drive up to the mountains and then im ready for it.

• 2 weeks later...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My Triangle living has been:

fall 89- spring 91 (not including summers) - Durham, NC School of Science and Math

summer 91 - spring 95 - NC State, on campus

spring 95 - may 2001 - rented house in neighborhood west of Cameron Village

may 2001 - present - owner of house, east of downtown Raleigh

Intra-Triangle moving was due to school. I've stayed in Raleigh because that is where work was, until a few years ago. Even now, the downtown Raleigh to RTP commute is short enough to not require a move.

At NCSSM, I felt like I saw of certain parts of Durham -- mostly 9th Street and Northgate Mall. Spent some time on Duke campus -- east campus for tennis/running around the wall, Perkins Library for research, and Devil's Quarters for videogames. I made a few runs to South Square -- some by bus, some by foot through Duke campus/forest. I would wander down to Oval park to get away from campus as well.

The Northgate Harris Teeter was ok, but is long gone. The lack of a grocery store in that area is sad... the next closest non-Whole foods is the Food Lion near Main Street, or crossing I-85. Ugh. Durham seems to have areas that suffer feast or famine for good (shopping options) and bad (crime). It seems to be underserved for grocery stores and movie theaters -- Southpoint, Norhtgate, and the Carolina Theater.

I've never lived outside the beltine in Raleigh, so can't speak to how life is there. Despite what other people say, big parts of ITB Raleigh feels like parts of Durham, again good and bad.

ah, cool question

-Aug 1987 to Aug 1992 Town of Wake Forest - From move to area to High School Graduation

-Aug 1992 to May 1994 On Campus at NC State

-June 1994 to Aug 1998 Various stints including behind Cup A Joe, Boone NC, Rural Nothern Wake and back with the folks (standard period of lifes turmoils) :thumbsup:

-Aug 1998 to Dec 2003 two different apartments off Whitaker Mill Road as a student and with diploma in hand :D

-Dec 2003 to present Caraleigh Mills near downtown.

Also have a State gov't job so no reason to leave. Family originally moved here due to high cost of living an hour north of NYC. Father took a pay cut to move but we still were able to live much better down here. They bought an 1800 sqft house on a third of an acre in 1987 for $90,000.

Greetings! I'm not planning on relocating to the triangle; however, I am suddenly planning to drive over to Chapel Hill and Durham tomorrow for a day trip with my wife and kids. Forgive me if this is a question that has already been asked and answered here; however, are there any "must-see" things in Chapel Hill or Durham (besides the obvious landmarks on the campuses of UNC and Duke)?

I don't have kids but I have always enjoyed the NC Museum of Life and Science in Durham. The Nasher is a good museum but don't know if its the greatest for kids as its more of a modern/avant art museum. The NC Museum of Life and Science is very interactive and has a wildlife exhibit with bears, wolves, lemurs, etc. Also the Duke Primate Center is pretty good as well. Duke Gardens and NC Botanical Gardens are nice but its the winter so..... Check out Franklin St. in CH. There is a kids' museum called Kidzu which seems to be pretty popular and the Ackland Art Museum. There is also a museum in the Wilson Library on the main campus.

I don't have kids but I have always enjoyed the NC Museum of Life and Science in Durham. The Nasher is a good museum but don't know if its the greatest for kids as its more of a modern/avant art museum. The NC Museum of Life and Science is very interactive and has a wildlife exhibit with bears, wolves, lemurs, etc. Also the Duke Primate Center is pretty good as well. Duke Gardens and NC Botanical Gardens are nice but its the winter so..... Check out Franklin St. in CH. There is a kids' museum called Kidzu which seems to be pretty popular and the Ackland Art Museum. There is also a museum in the Wilson Library on the main campus.

Archived