Richmond in Pictures II

wrldcoupe4

Feel free to comment on the pics. I need to take more time myself to get to know more about the history of some of these buildings.

Just one comment. Number 14 in the first set on this page. They should bring in Cristo the artist who decorated Central Park with "The Gates" to work his and his wife's magic under this trestle! :)

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a couple of quick & dirty shots from Riverside Drive. It was raining, so I didn't take the proper time to focus, but they're not too bad. Larger sizes exist, but I didn't want to clutter things up.

Railroad underpass

81720973_89a6c84762_o.jpg

Railroad bridge

81718042_b401f81709.jpg

Carillon

81718043_1221ef9480.jpg

I think the city's done. You've covered many places I have yet to go. I still have Marshall St from about 11th eastward, Broad from 9th eastward, Capital Square, Bank street, Franklin, Main, Cary, Canal, and Byrd from 8th eastward to do to complete downtown. Then I have to redo all of Clay, Leigh, Jackson, and DuVal since when I did those, the blob cateract on my camera's lens made those pics disgusting (plus the leaves aren't on the trees). I'll never be done with Downtown. Then I wanted to focus on the surrounding neighborhoods. Possibly returning to North Jackson Ward, do more concentrated pics of Church Hill (although it's already heavily documented, I won't dwell there), Union Hill, Shed Town, Chimborozo, Oakwood, Fairmount, Brauers, and the unnamed to me sections in "Church Hill," Peter Paul, Woodville, Eastview, what I call Howard's Grove, the projects if I dare, Barton Heights, Highland Park, Oregon Hill, some of the Fan (it's already heavily documented), Randolph, West of the Boulevard, Carytown, Westhampton, Manchester, Blackwell, and miscellaneous Southside neighborhoods unnamed to me at the moment. I really do want to make my own site with the correct neighborhood names and histories. I had years ago wanted to photograph every single building inside the city limits if possible. So... with all that, unless I die beforehand, I'll do that.

I don't venture out into the suburbs much unless it's for something with character. Old farm houses I love so much. I may do some individual subdivisions, but nothing on individual parcels of land unless I am just fascinated so much I'll take 5 pics of one place (and I do, do that).

So, bon voyage coupe, I'll be adding more accounts (from 6-15) if I have enough e-mail addresses! You'll be taken care of here.

nice.. thanks for sharing BGW. :) oh and is Church Hill a region or area in Richmond?

:lol: it's one of Richmond's most historic neighborhoods, home of St. John's Church, though it is sometimes used to describe the area around Church Hill as well.

There's a brief description of it in the City Profile, and for pictures, check out Page 9 of this thread. Pictures 60-97 give a very brief survey of Church Hill.

I think the city's done. You've covered many places I have yet to go. I still have Marshall St from about 11th eastward, Broad from 9th eastward, Capital Square, Bank street, Franklin, Main, Cary, Canal, and Byrd from 8th eastward to do to complete downtown. Then I have to redo all of Clay, Leigh, Jackson, and DuVal since when I did those, the blob cateract on my camera's lens made those pics disgusting (plus the leaves aren't on the trees). I'll never be done with Downtown. Then I wanted to focus on the surrounding neighborhoods. Possibly returning to North Jackson Ward, do more concentrated pics of Church Hill (although it's already heavily documented, I won't dwell there), Union Hill, Shed Town, Chimborozo, Oakwood, Fairmount, Brauers, and the unnamed to me sections in "Church Hill," Peter Paul, Woodville, Eastview, what I call Howard's Grove, the projects if I dare, Barton Heights, Highland Park, Oregon Hill, some of the Fan (it's already heavily documented), Randolph, West of the Boulevard, Carytown, Westhampton, Manchester, Blackwell, and miscellaneous Southside neighborhoods unnamed to me at the moment. I really do want to make my own site with the correct neighborhood names and histories. I had years ago wanted to photograph every single building inside the city limits if possible. So... with all that, unless I die beforehand, I'll do that.

I don't venture out into the suburbs much unless it's for something with character. Old farm houses I love so much. I may do some individual subdivisions, but nothing on individual parcels of land unless I am just fascinated so much I'll take 5 pics of one place (and I do, do that).

So, bon voyage coupe, I'll be adding more accounts (from 6-15) if I have enough e-mail addresses! You'll be taken care of here.

Cadeho, you're much more thorough than I am! Feel free to spare us of the suburban neighbhorhoods :lol:

I didn't see BGW's pics. Wonderful! I will find my way out there one day.

Hey you never know, some suburban neighborhoods may be historic one day.

Church Hill used to be named Richmond Hill. At the moment, St. John's I believe is the oldest structure on the hill, built in 1741. The name came from that church being the only structure on the hill for many years. Some kind of think because there are a lot of churches nearby is why it was given that name.

For a few decades St. John's was the only structure on the hill until a Richard Adams built his house to the southwest of the church (that house was torn down I believe in the early 1900s for the extention of a former convent). Adams' family divided and subdivided their lands which cover a lot of Church Hill.

:lol: it's one of Richmond's most historic neighborhoods, home of St. John's Church, though it is sometimes used to describe the area around Church Hill as well.

There's a brief description of it in the City Profile, and for pictures, check out Page 9 of this thread. Pictures 60-97 give a very brief survey of Church Hill.

"Hoodstoric Church Hill" as many of us who live North of Broad call it. :)

The St. John's we see is not what it looked like when Patrick Henry proclaimed "liberty or death".

The rear portion with the altar was about all there was at that time. The front section and the steeple came much later.

And no, Cadeho. I wasn't present when Mr. Henry spoke. :lol:

awesome thanks!

Neat pictures, BGW. I especially like the railway bridge.

I wish I could find the original source for this picture. This was on the HokieSports.com front page, announcing their new agreement with WRVA. Night skylines are incredible, and this one would make a great wall hanging, if it didn't have the writing superimposed.

01172006.jpg

Hokie - I don't know who took this picture nor where you may find a duplicate. But you have seen Wrldcoupe4's excellent skyline shots on this thread, and Ryan of RCW has some exceptional nighttime fotos of the Richmond skyline.

Further, have you noticed on the not infrequent interviews from Richmond on National cable and even networks a nighttime skyline view unmistakenly of Richmond is prominently in the background. Maybe it's the one to which you refer. My advise, check Channel 12 which is affiliated with WRVA Radio. :)

okay.... I headed out to West Creek today to take those pics of the CarMax HQ... here's the pics from CarMax (It's near impossible to get a good shot of the building because it is literally in the middle of a forest. There's maybe 20 ft between the building and the woods. So I did the best I could :) Hope it's okay Sandlapper:

Thank you so much! I had heard they literally built it right in the middle of the forest, I guess what they said was true!! Thanks for taking the time to go out there.

Sandlapper

Windsor on the James does have some HUUUUUGE houses. My 5th grade class had an end of the year pool party at the Flohr's and my aunt and I fell in love with those houses.

Yeah Burt... whatever you say... :silly:

Yeah St. John's has had several towers. There's even a picture in between towers. It was a small country church.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived