Richmond in Pictures II

wrldcoupe4

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's part I from Saturday... It's been a while since I've taken pics, so I felt a little rusty. Hope you enjoy though! It was a nice day:

Why don't we start off in Carytown? btw.. the french flags are for the VCU French Film Festival which I think was being done at the Byrd Theater :thumbsup:

Richmond3-4-2006001.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006002.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006003.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006004.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006005.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006007.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006008.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006009.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006010.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006011.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006012.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006013.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006014.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006015.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006016.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006017.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006018.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006019.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006020.jpg

Norfolk Southern's lobby wine and dine for the state legislators

Richmond3-4-2006021.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006021-1.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006022.jpg

Still pouring caissons at Vistas

Richmond3-4-2006023.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006024.jpg

Lady bird looks close to being structurally finished... tenant upfit should start soon....can't wait for it to be open!

Richmond3-4-2006025.jpg

Annnnnnnnd that's it for part I...Part II comes tomorrow (Sunday). :thumbsup:

No, Merrittk. What you see in the foreground is an old smokestack attached to an old power plant. The plant years ago supplied electricity to operate the city's street car system. The building, lower right, (partially roofless) is the power plant itself. All of it is now part of the Riverside on the James office/condo/entertainment development. This set of photos was taken by Wrldcoupe4 from various balconies of the residential condo on the site.

The power plant is beginning renovation and conversion into a very fancy upscale restaurant/club by a National company known as CS5.

Libby Prison was dismantled and rebuilt at The Chicago World's Fair way back in the late 19th century. If you look at the 6th and 8th photos, the Libby Prison site was in the area called Tobacco Row where you see a line of old buildings in the distance beyond the furtherest bridge.

Hope this helps, and if you have more questions or comments, fire away.

PS. The red-ish tower, right background, is Main Street Station where your trains to and from Williamsburg stop to load and unload passengers.

Thanks Burt. Excellent job of navigating me through the pics. :thumbsup: Your a wonderful tour guide, please notice the tip I left in your jar! :D Also, I fully intend to hold you to your offer of keeping me informed of all things pertaining to Richmond, whether they be past or present. :shades:

Okay's here's part II from yesterday. Don't forget to check the last page for Part I and Tommy's pics from last summer!

Can't wait for the tower crane!

Richmond3-4-2006026.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006028.jpg

Soon to be Toad's Place

Richmond3-4-2006027.jpg

Edgeworth building is moving along

Richmond3-4-2006029.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006030.jpg

Some Rockett's Landing:

Richmond3-4-2006031.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006032.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006033.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006034.jpg

Gone fishin'?

Richmond3-4-2006035.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006036.jpg

Federal Courthouse will be one hell of a building on Broad when complete!

Richmond3-4-2006037.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006038.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006039.jpg

Festival Park near the coliseum

Richmond3-4-2006040.jpg

CAA tourny is in town this weekend

Richmond3-4-2006041.jpg

PM is MASSIVE!

Richmond3-4-2006042.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006046.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006044.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006045.jpg

More Courthouse:

Richmond3-4-2006047.jpg

Richmond3-4-2006048.jpg

Berry Burk

Richmond3-4-2006051.jpg

OMG! Those are... .... .... .... ... PEOPLE! :shok:

That's it... new camera for me... so sharp and colorful!

Coupe, these are far and away the best and most gratifying pictures I've seen of Carytown. And you see how people on the street add such vitality to the shots? :yahoo:

Well, what a wonderful picture treat from Tommy, Cadeho and Coupe.

Phillip Morris looks like it might go as high as 9 stories. I think the Coliseum across Leigh Street tops out at about 120 feet, so PM may rise slightly above that figure.

Thanks burt and eric :) wish I could have taken more... I'm a week from spring break, so expect plenty soon!

There was an IPB Image thing in the middle of the Phillip Morris shots and I couldn't make anything materialize no matter how much I clicked for that one picture. Also, the first Edgeworth shot is very blurry. Was that you, or is it my computer?

Overall, perfection from Mr. Coupe as always! :)

Burt... the first edgeworth shot seems pretty crisp to me, and I have no trouble seeing all of the Philip Morris shots (there are 4 of them)...

Hope it works out!

Nope. Must be my computer. Edgeworth is blurry, and the 3rd PM pic is that IPB thing, whatever that means.

[/uote]

I am depositing my first batch of pics at the moment... and while I wait for them to finish transferring to the computer, I thought I'd drop in and say... OH MY BACK! This getting old thing... gonna take some getting used to. I had no idea that between the Spaghetti Works and 10th St on Cary had so many sights on foot. And people... get in the way! ... if that's not what you want. I also did a few along Oliver Hill Way and 18th St. 302 pics so far... be back for the grand total.

How did I miss you today Tommy if you took those today?

Following my inspiration from Ryan and his Downtown survey, mine is almost complete. Most of the pics I haven't even edited yet. Some I'll reference if the need arises. I have most of the structures covered except those hidden from the street. I didn't do too many alleys. I started a year ago! Hard to believe it was the last of March when I started at the southwestern edge and so much has changed. I have covered just about the entire riverfront (the actual bank) from the Lee Bridge to Shockoe Creek. About 99% of each intersection is covered with up to 8 pics each. There are some places I'll have to redo, like possibly Marshall, Clay, Leigh, Jackson, and DuVal with all the side streets between Belvidere and 3rd or 8th depending on the street because of that cataract that developed on the lens last year that had me without a camera for 5 months. Other places I may touch up with a brighter pic as I use up as much daylight as I can, which is one reason why I have probably too many sunset pics which I have to dig up and upload. And I still have Byrd to do and Dock to touch up... then I can move on to other neighborhoods!

But ok guys, tell me your secret... what am I doing wrong? How is it that you guys can get your pics up the same day while I have to edit and resize so they won't be too large for the screen here. I take them at 1280x960. If I took them at 800x600 boy I'd be taking 1000 pics a trip! And my pics are always extra dark, so I have to lighten them. Must be my camera. Anyway, I am exhausted... 608 pics are going to take a while to go through!

HAHAHAHAHA Tommy! I just noticed... you have my car in one of your pics... so now I know what time you did the Slip! And my favorite what? It's not a town!

But ok guys, tell me your secret... what am I doing wrong? How is it that you guys can get your pics up the same day while I have to edit and resize so they won't be too large for the screen here. I take them at 1280x960. If I took them at 800x600 boy I'd be taking 1000 pics a trip! And my pics are always extra dark, so I have to lighten them. Must be my camera. Anyway, I am exhausted... 608 pics are going to take a while to go through!

HAHAHAHAHA Tommy! I just noticed... you have my car in one of your pics... so now I know what time you did the Slip! And my favorite what? It's not a town!

It may be your image hosting site. When you download the images online, what site do you use? Some automiatically resize them or adjust the lighting or sharpness.

No it's my camera. When I put the pics on my computer I have to lighten each of them. Some I don't touch because they turn out better dark. I resize my pics so photobucket won't have to... plus I prefer to share them at 800x600 and I look at them at home at the 1280x960

Cadeho... I run all of my pics through Picasa. Some need editing, others don't, but I always export them from Picasa, resized to 800 pixels instead of the original size. It makes uploading them to photobucket wayyyyy faster. Plus, I don't think any of us can take hundreds of pics like you in one day! :lol:

I think the most I've done in one day is 110, and that took over 3 exhausting hours!

Nice pics tommy! Some where a little blurry but I'm sure that's because you were in the car and not on foot. It'll do that :) Otherwise, great, and it's good to have more people sharing their pics of Richmond!

I think the most I've done in one day is 110, and that took over 3 exhausting hours!

Nice pics tommy! Some where a little blurry but I'm sure that's because you were in the car and not on foot. It'll do that :) Otherwise, great, and it's good to have more people sharing their pics of Richmond!

Yeah, sorry about that Coupe, it was cold today and I figured I'd just take a few and stay in the car. So as it gets warmer Ill definately be and and about on foot and taking tons more.

Archived