Restaurant Development in NW Arkansas

mcheiss

Ate at the new Shogun today. Pretty nice place. There was a lot of wood used in the interior. Reminded me of something like darkly stained teak. In the area I was in around the bar and sushi bar there was a lot of the color teal used with some warmer colors like rust and amber used a bit. Looked like other sections of the restaurant might have a different style of interior but I didn't get a good look. They also had the upstairs closed off. The uniquely shaped building with some angular decor gave it a contemporary look. Not quite like Wasabi, Shogun seemed more stylish and upscale looking. Although they were simply moving it felt like a new restaurant opening. There seemed to be some confusion and delays in getting the food. It easily took twice as long for me to get my sushi as usual at the other location. But I won't complain it gave me some more time to look at the interior. Looked like they had a nice patio near the edge of the cliff. Looked like they had planted some bamboo. Perhaps to cover up the roof of the new strip mall just below it. Hopefully the bamboo won't completely cover up the view though. I don't know if they have changed the menu any. To me it looked like all the sushi was the same as before.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah I had recently seen an article talking about the new Shogun dated to 2005. The original plans had it around $3.5 Mil, but seeing how construction costs have gone I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up spending closer to $4 Mil maybe even $5 Mil.

I also didn't get any pics today. Didn't feel like getting my camera out in the rain.

Hope no one is a huge fan of Acambaro. Sounds like Immigration officials raided a number of their restaurants in NWA and southwest Missouri. The owners are legal citizens but apparently got arrested too for all the hiring of illegal workers. Sounds like a number of their restaurants closed down. But I'm not sure if this is permanent or just temporary.

Osegueras on N. College closed a while back also. I think it was owned by the same group that has the Acambaros and possiblby La Huerta. At least I remember reading something like that and the food and service are very similar. I don't think we'll run out of Mexican food places though- still a bunch around.

Osegueras on N. College closed a while back also. I think it was owned by the same group that has the Acambaros and possiblby La Huerta. At least I remember reading something like that and the food and service are very similar. I don't think we'll run out of Mexican food places though- still a bunch around.

I believe Oseguera's simply moved from near Fiesta Square to Eveyln Hills.

Yeah Oseguerra's just moved. It's not associated with La Huerta or Acambaro. Oseguerra's is associated with a restaurant down in Hot Springs. Acambaro and La Huerta is also owned by separate families. It can get confusing though because the people that own La Huerta also own other restaurants, some of which have different names. I also wanted to point out a correction that needs to be made. The owners of Acambaro weren't arrested as I had heard. But some illegal immigrants were picked up at some of the Acambaro restaurants.

I was never a big fan of the place, but Garfield's at the mall suddenly closed up. I always thought they were doing a good business.

I don't go by there often, but I thought it was doing better than other restaurants that had been there. It's odd timing considering this is the big shopping season.

I was never a big fan of the place, but Garfield's at the mall suddenly closed up. I always thought they were doing a good business.

I think we have to be honest with ourselves and admit that the retail buildup in Rogers is hurting Fayetteville's Mall and sales tax revenues. Less people from elsewhere in NWA are coming here from where they live to shop and eat as the other areas develop more of their own retail and restaurants. I don't think it is Fayetteville people leaving town as much as others are not coming into Fayetteville like they were.

M

I think we have to be honest with ourselves and admit that the retail buildup in Rogers is hurting Fayetteville's Mall and sales tax revenues. Less people from elsewhere in NWA are coming here from where they live to shop and eat as the other areas develop more of their own retail and restaurants. I don't think it is Fayetteville people leaving town as much as others are not coming into Fayetteville like they were.

M

Yeah, I was thinking the other day about how those chains that have closed in the mall area likely based some of their site selection work on traffic counts and mall revenue figures before the Promenade opened.

Those numbers obviously no longer apply.

I do think traffic is a little better around the mall this year than last, which stands to reason.

I don't go by there often, but I thought it was doing better than other restaurants that had been there. It's odd timing considering this is the big shopping season.

The Garfields move, like Smokey Bones, was part of a larger corporate decision to close multiple stores. While I'm sure they would not have closed it if it was performing better, its sales numbers are relatively similar to 2006. It's also worth remembering that even before the Promenade opened and during the boom, Luby's closed at the Mall in 2004.

The Garfields move, like Smokey Bones, was part of a larger corporate decision to close multiple stores. While I'm sure they would not have closed it if it was performing better, its sales numbers are relatively similar to 2006. It's also worth remembering that even before the Promenade opened and during the boom, Luby's closed at the Mall in 2004.

True, overall I don't think there's been a lot of success for that particular spot in the mall.

The new Marketplace Express next to the new Razorback Malco Cinema opened this week. I guess the express part is becuase you order at the counter and they bring the food out to you. Nice place in a great location. I can vouch for the Club Panini and their excellent fries. They should do a great business being right at the theater's front door.

The new Marketplace Express next to the new Razorback Malco Cinema opened this week. I guess the express part is becuase you order at the counter and they bring the food out to you. Nice place in a great location. I can vouch for the Club Panini and their excellent fries. They should do a great business being right at the theater's front door.

Yeah I thought it might be a nice place to grab a bite to eat before seeing a movie.

Restaurants don't do as well at traditional malls as they do at open-air malls like the Promenade. That is most likely the reason for Garfields deciding to close multiple locations, I'll bet they're all located in traditional malls. Luby's always reminded me of a school cafeteria.

That location would be a great spot for a real sporting goods store or maybe an outdoor outfitter.

Restaurants don't do as well at traditional malls as they do at open-air malls like the Promenade. That is most likely the reason for Garfields deciding to close multiple locations, I'll bet they're all located in traditional malls. Luby's always reminded me of a school cafeteria.

That location would be a great spot for a real sporting goods store or maybe an outdoor outfitter.

Yeah I have wondered if the NWA Mall would give up the idea of a restaurant there and simply make it retail space.

.....And Chubby's Coneys has closed on Crossover Rd in the Signature Bank plaza.

A not so great restaurant in a worse location. That said, I hate to see any of 'em close down. We need restaurants, we need sales tax revenue. But I guess the marketplace doesn't reward mediocrity.

M

Not very well advertised either. Never heard of the place. Second coney type place to close recently...I guess nobody likes hot dogs.

Yeah to be honest those hot dog deli type places haven't done well in Fayetteville. There was another one of those places in Fiesta Square a few years back.

Archived