Restaurant Development in NW Arkansas

mcheiss

Anybody know if it's maybe a British "thing" to have white muntins on a brown door?

Definitely not. It is, however, a "crappy-American-builder-thing" to do so! It's typically done by folks who have no sense of aesthetics or knowledge of architecture.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to the new Wasabi restaurant (owned by the Shogun people) on Dickson in Fayetteville yesterday. It was excellent. Very good sushi and good lunch box overall. Prices are fairly high. Decor is very hip--multiple shades of green and black--the most hip looking place in town. I saw John Nock having lunch over there so it draws a high-end crowd.

Some of you photographers--Rod, Matt--need to get some pics of the interior. It's noteworthy for this part of the country, and looks a lot better than Big Daddy's/Benson's (the former occupants of this space) did.

Wow. I learned something of lasting importance on Urban Planet today! I had no idea what muntins were. Had no idea there were real French doors and fake ones. I had never paid attention. So, I just jumped up and checked our two sets (one in the office, one in the den). They're real. (Whew!)

Before I found this site, I also had no idea what "sprawl" was, or "mixed-use". When you really get down to it, I'm not a very observant person, apparently. :silly:

Glad someone is learning something here. :D

They may be waiting to turn a profit before spending money on a real sign or paint for the doors. I'd be hesitant to fix the place up any just so the next tenant has a nicer place. I care less about the doors and more about whether they serve real imported ales.

I agree with you there. I would be more impressed if they did have some nice British ales as well.

Crown Pub did have some good imported beers on tap.

I'm not a beer conosiuer, but I did have a couple of "Smithy's" or something that sounded like that.

Its a small cozy place, and it wasn't overrun with college kids. I liked it.

You're probably talking about Samuel Smith (no not Sam Adams). They have some pretty good beers, I think it's a northern England brewery. Anyway sounds promising, I'll have to stop by there and check it out. Thanks for the info.

She probably couldn't pronounce it. It's pronounced "Smiddick's."

It's a good beer, kind of like a mix between a lager and a red.

Or maybe it's this. Guess I'll have to stop by myself and find out. :lol:

I went to the new Wasabi restaurant (owned by the Shogun people) on Dickson in Fayetteville yesterday. It was excellent. Very good sushi and good lunch box overall. Prices are fairly high. Decor is very hip--multiple shades of green and black--the most hip looking place in town. I saw John Nock having lunch over there so it draws a high-end crowd.

Some of you photographers--Rod, Matt--need to get some pics of the interior. It's noteworthy for this part of the country, and looks a lot better than Big Daddy's/Benson's (the former occupants of this space) did.

Thanks for the update Mark. I hadn't heard anyone trying it out yet. I'm not huge on Asian cuisine but it would be interesting to see the inside.

Probably it. It sort of reminded my unsophisticated pallete of a Newcastle.

Ah, another northern England ale. Can't say I know where Smiddick's is located.

Glad someone is learning something here. :D

I agree with you there. I would be more impressed if they did have some nice British ales as well.

You're probably talking about Samuel Smith (no not Sam Adams). They have some pretty good beers, I think it's a northern England brewery. Anyway sounds promising, I'll have to stop by there and check it out. Thanks for the info.

Or maybe it's this. Guess I'll have to stop by myself and find out. :lol:

Thanks for the update Mark. I hadn't heard anyone trying it out yet. I'm not huge on Asian cuisine but it would be interesting to see the inside.

Ah, another northern England ale. Can't say I know where Smiddick's is located.

It's an Irish beer, from the Guiness Brewery.

Samuel Smith's is for sale everywhere in bottle, but I've never seen it on tap in the U.S. In fact, I spent a year in the U.K. and never saw it once when I was there.

I was actually in Ryleighs which is next door to Wasabi's just a little while ago. I went next door for a second and it looked Very Nice. I think that it makes a great addition for Dickson Street. There was also alot of people in the restaurant for a Tuesday night.

mzweig @ Nov 7 2006, 05:31 PM)

Some of you photographers--Rod, Matt--need to get some pics of the interior. It's noteworthy for this part of the country, and looks a lot better than Big Daddy's/Benson's (the former occupants of this space) did

I went to Wasabi this previous Saturday for dinner . I like the modern upscale interior with the blacks and greens. It is nice to see something different stylistically in the restaurant scene. The food was good but some of the sushi selections were a little small especially compared to Rice Village. The service was OK but not great. Each person got their food at a different time and that really made me hungry after seeing 3 other people at my table get their food first. I also felt a little rushed after we got our food. I think if they fix the service, the place would be great. Maybe add more interior space enclosing the patio/garden area out front and adding it to the general dining area. But thats my opinion.

Could be, although the waitress referred to it as Smithy's I believe. She rattled off what was on tap and I pointed to what my buddy was drinking.

After a few Goose & tonics at Doe's, I didn't really care.

They did not have their liquor license as of two weeks ago, or I would have had a cocktail.

I went there Saturday. Kind of a tiny little place, not really much British about it save the facade.

There was a nice flatscreen to watch Georgia pound Auburn over the bar, though.

The only beers on tap were Bud Light, Old Style, and Smithwick's, so you must have had a Smithwick's.

My wife had a blueberry-flavored wheat beer down at the brewery and she loved it. Too fruity for me but good if you like that kind of thing.

I went there Saturday. Kind of a tiny little place, not really much British about it save the facade.

There was a nice flatscreen to watch Georgia pound Auburn over the bar, though.

The only beers on tap were Bud Light, Old Style, and Smithwick's, so you must have had a Smithwick's.

My wife had a blueberry-flavored wheat beer down at the brewery and she loved it. Too fruity for me but good if you like that kind of thing.

Never heard of a blueberry flavored beer before. But yeah I had hoped for something more British but being realistic we probably aren't quite big enough for something quite like that.

Never heard of a blueberry flavored beer before. But yeah I had hoped for something more British but being realistic we probably aren't quite big enough for something quite like that.

It's not a "big enough" thing but you know how Dickson is. Cheesy places like On The Rocks, Buster Belly's, Grub's, and 414 do well without any real theme. I'm sure a place more like the Underground would do well.

That said, it's hard to fault the owners. It's just a small location.

Has anyone been to the Market Seafood Bar and Grill yet? I went down there for dinner tonight and I was impressed. The service was very fast and the owner passed out huge peel and eat shrimp. They also had a cold seafood bar where you could buy crab, oysters, shrimp, by the pound. Very unique place for NWA. Somewhat pricy but it is very fresh seafood.

Incase you have not heard of this place yet it is in the old Bourbon Boys location next to the Lagacy building on West street.

Has anyone been to the Market Seafood Bar and Grill yet? I went down there for dinner tonight and I was impressed. The service was very fast and the owner passed out huge peel and eat shrimp. They also had a cold seafood bar where you could buy crab, oysters, shrimp, by the pound. Very unique place for NWA. Somewhat pricy but it is very fresh seafood.

Incase you have not heard of this place yet it is in the old Bourbon Boys location next to the Lagacy building on West street.

I haven't been there yet. I've been wondering if both it and Powerhouse will be able to survive being somewhat close to each other.

I found this article in today's News-Leader and thought some of you guys down there would be interested. I didn't even know that Incredible Pizza Co. was planning a location in NWA.

Incredible Pizza sues realty group over Arkansas expansion plans

A Springfield-based restaurant chain has sued an Arkansas company for failing to find a location for a new restaurant.

Incredible Pizza Franchise Group filed a lawsuit last week against Bentonville-based Cross Point Realty Group at Springfield

I went there last weekend. I would give a mixed review. The cold boiled shrimp was great but it oughta be at $24 a pound! Tables were crammed together uncomfortably. The BBQ shrimp was not good. The crab was good but was snow crab not king crab. The hushpuppies were not that good. The place was markedly cleaner than it used to be when Bourbon Boys. Somewhat depressing was seeing one of the Bourbon Boys waiting tables.....kinda sad. I wonder if this place will make it in the long run? I dunno.

I went there last weekend. I would give a mixed review. The cold boiled shrimp was great but it oughta be at $24 a pound! Tables were crammed together uncomfortably. The BBQ shrimp was not good. The crab was good but was snow crab not king crab. The hushpuppies were not that good. The place was markedly cleaner than it used to be when Bourbon Boys. Somewhat depressing was seeing one of the Bourbon Boys waiting tables.....kinda sad. I wonder if this place will make it in the long run? I dunno.

it sounds like a nightmare, but let's keep it positive: downtown needs a good seafood place, and from all accounts i've heard, powerhouse has gone to crape. maybe they'll work out the kinks and become a fixture. here's to hoping...

it sounds like a nightmare, but let's keep it positive: downtown needs a good seafood place, and from all accounts i've heard, powerhouse has gone to crape. maybe they'll work out the kinks and become a fixture. here's to hoping...

hey, i didn't say crape (whatever the hell that means), i said crap, in british terms... it censored me! up yours UP!!!

hey, i didn't say crape (whatever the hell that means), i said crap, in british terms... it censored me! up yours UP!!!

You sure it just wasn't a typo? It isn't spelled that way in your second post. This does remind me of a humorous time early in the Arkansas forum's history. I was showing the pronunciation of Ouachita for those not that familiar with Arkansas. I had put a space in it so it ended with 'taw' but it still thought I was trying to say something else so it changed it to wa-crap-aw. I posted it and didn't notice it had been changed. I got on the next day and started noticing people's replies to my post. It took me a little while to realize what had happened. :lol:

Archived