Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

No doubt. Just kinda comes as a surprise to me that's all. If those stores are coming to main that's great news! I say bring em on! By the way where did you hear that?

Sorry Sandy, I thought it was obvious I was joking. I would love to see those stores, but it is a stretch to think they would all locate at Alesso right now.

Tiffany's, Gucci, Hugo Boss, Mark Shale, Brooks Brothers and Joseph Abboud, I heard.

Now guys, where (outside of NYC, LA and Chicago) are those stores in close proximity to one another? I really thought it was obvious I was joking. Maybe if we keep spreading the word people will start contacting these companies about when they're opening here.

The business page in The State today has a nice article about the Sheraton Hotel coming to the old Palmetto building. It would appear that a Starbucks will be on the ground floor directly accessible from the street.

Also, this week's edition of The Columbia Star has an article on Adesso in which the writer quotes a Holder Properties spokesman as saying, "Columbians are embracing the return to in-town living on a scale that most, if not all, similar-sized southeastern cities can only hpe for. With the revitalization of the downtown district and technology-focused expansion at USC, we believe the momentum is just beginning. The writer continues by saying that nationally, empty nesters and retirees are flocking to university towns for easy access to cultural events, educational opportunities, and the energy of a collegiate environment.

Also, a small article in the Columbia Star says that George W. Bush proposes a funding increase of $1 billion for the National Science Foundation so that 2,600 new scientists can be hired next year, and USC is the National Center for hydrogen cell research. Get the connection?

The business page in The State today has a nice article about the Sheraton Hotel coming to the old Palmetto building. It would appear that a Starbucks will be on the ground floor directly accessible from the street.

Also, this week's edition of The Columbia Star has an article on Adesso in which the writer quotes a Holder Properties spokesman as saying, "Columbians are embracing the return to in-town living on a scale that most, if not all, similar-sized southeastern cities can only hpe for. With the revitalization of the downtown district and technology-focused expansion at USC, we believe the momentum is just beginning. The writer continues by saying that nationally, empty nesters and retirees are flocking to university towns for easy access to cultural events, educational opportunities, and the energy of a collegiate environment.

Also, a small article in the Columbia Star says that George W. Bush proposes a funding increase of $1 billion for the National Science Foundation so that 2,600 new scientists can be hired next year, and USC is the National Center for hydrogen cell research. Get the connection?

Patterns, mabye I should take up soothsaying????

Y'all, check out the article on the front page of The State today. Looks like more housing is on the way in the Vista. So that's 700+ homes planned for Canal Side, 400 planned for the Kline site, 1100-1300 planned for the State Hospital, 115 coming to Blossom and Main, 75 in the Barringer building, and who knows how many around the USC baseball stadium. Just think how much more available land there is for more condo buildings like Adesso to be built. It's only going to snowball. And when they build a homeless shelter, it will most likely be in a downtown location. That will give a lot of homeless people in Columbia an address so that they can get jobs, which will mean they will be counted as downtown residents, or at least city residents. Add the 200 homes planned where the city just annexed land off of Garners Ferry, the Hendley Homes redevelopment and all other annexations the new annexation chief for the city has up his sleeve, and the football obsessives who will live at their football condos year-round, and you're starting to add up some bodies.

Y'all, check out the article on the front page of The State today. Looks like more housing is on the way in the Vista. So that's 700+ homes planned for Canal Side, 400 planned for the Kline site, 1100-1300 planned for the State Hospital, 115 coming to Blossom and Main, 75 in the Barringer building, and who knows how many around the USC baseball stadium. Just think how much more available land there is for more condo buildings like Adesso to be built. It's only going to snowball. And when they build a homeless shelter, it will most likely be in a downtown location. That will give a lot of homeless people in Columbia an address so that they can get jobs, which will mean they will be counted as downtown residents, or at least city residents. Add the 200 homes planned where the city just annexed land off of Garners Ferry, the Hendley Homes redevelopment and all other annexations the new annexation chief for the city has up his sleeve, and the football obsessives who will live at their football condos year-round, and you're starting to add up some bodies.

That is awesome news!

The annexation chief must be doing a good job...Thestate in a article yesterday said the city annexed over 400 acres in 2005 and more than 100 acres this year so far. So now the city is about 132 square miles

Edited by sonofaque86

I thought I would post some updated pictures of some of the projects currently under construction in and near downtown Columbia. I believe someone posted some pictures of Renaissance Plaza recently so I won't post more of that project. If there is something else anyone wants to see, let me know.

This is the new Arnold School of Public Health Building at USC; it is nearing completion:

arnold%20sch%20of%20publ%20health%202%2026%2006.jpg

The construction of the Convention Center Hilton in the Vista is progressing:

hilton%20site%202%2026%2006.jpg

In the distance you can see the Carolina Walk Condos coming together to the right of Williams-Brice Stadium:

car%20walk%20from%20usc.jpg

carolina%20walk%20closer%20from%20usc.jpg

Carolina Walk from closer up:

carolina%20walk%20constr%20and%20stadium.jpg

caolina%20walk%20constr%20at%20sunset.jpg

carolina%20walk%20from%20stadium.jpg

This is the other midrise condo building, "The Spur", going up next to Williams-Brice Stadium:

the%20spur%20constr.jpg

This is Stadium Village Lofts, across the street from the Spur. All 3 developments are supposed to be ready for the 2006 football season. We will see, lol.

stadium%20vlg%20lofts%20constr.jpg

This is the ground-level view of downtown from the Stadium. The upper floors of Carolina Walk should have a nice view.

downtown%20from%20wms%20brice.jpg

The Olympia Mill lofts renovation is progressing, just up the street from the stadium. The Granby Mill restoration, next door, seems to be complete and people are moving in.

olympia%20mills%20resto%20coming%20along.jpg

The Palmetto Building renovation into a Sheraton Boutique Hotel is about half complete.

palmetto%20bldg%20renov%202%2026%2006.jpg

I had to stick in this view of the State House from the Washington Street parking garage:

state%20house%20peeking%202.jpg

state%20house%20peeking%20through.jpg

These are my most recent pictures of the new First Citizens building in downtown Columbia:

1st%20citz%202%2026%2006.jpg

I should have used my tripod for this one:

1st%20citz%20at%20night.jpg

1st%20citz%20courtyard%202%2026%2006.jpg

It's kind of hard to pick it out from these distance shots, but it is just to the left of NBSC and in front of Wilbur Smith:

skyline%20w%201st%20citz.jpg

1st%20citz%20fr%20greystone.jpg

1st%20citz%20night%202.jpg

This shows the proximity to NBSC and the Capitol Center:

1st%20citz%20nbsc%20cap%20ctr.jpg

That's it for now...

Yeah. There is a decent view from the Pendleton St Garage :)

Fantasitc pics.

I really like this one:

There's something "Myrtle Beach-esque" about it too :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most of those condo's down near the stadium "gameday" style condos? (only occupied during game days)

Fantasitc pics.

I really like this one:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most of those condo's down near the stadium "gameday" style condos? (only occupied during game days)

I'm sure some will be occupied year-round, but most will only be occupied on football weekends.

Fantasitc pics.

I really like this one:

that's funny, i thought the exact same thing when i saw this pic "reminds me of myrtle beach" :)

The annexation chief must be doing a good job...Thestate in a article yesterday said the city annexed over 400 acres in 2005 and more than 100 acres this year so far. So now the city is about 132 square miles

But I was watching Cable channel 2 last night (City Council Meeting) and a city staff member said Fort Jackson makes up 61% of the city's square mileage.

Wow, I'm impressed. The Charleston Post and Courier has an article today about USC's planned baseball stadium/housing/condos/riverfront park complex.

But I was watching Cable channel 2 last night (City Council Meeting) and a city staff member said Fort Jackson makes up 61% of the city's square mileage.

Wow, I'm impressed. The Charleston Post and Courier has an article today about USC's planned baseball stadium/housing/condos/riverfront park complex.

Yeah it does. It's about 80 square miles or something like that