Sprindale Minor League Sports Complex and Minor League Baseball Stadium

mcheiss

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In perspective....If you live in NWA you hear Northwest Arkansas more often so it doesn't sound as awkward. It's like when you hear a directional name for a college "Northeast Montana State", it sounds a little off. If you or your's attend the school and say the name everyday it becomes more natural. Say Northwest Arkansas Naturals two dozen times slowly and it will become more natural (it's great for bad puns).

As NWA grows and becomes more established as a known entity, the name Northwest Arkansas will become more easily accepted.

I'm sure you're right. It's not really the directional part of it that sounds weird to me...I think it's the number of syllables. It's such a mouthful. It has 8 syllables, whereas its former name only had 5 and rolled off the tongue a lot easier.

I think it's just the length that makes it weird for me.

Northwest Arkansas Naturals

Wichita Wranglers

North West Ar Kan Sas Na Tu Rals

Wi Chi Ta Wran Glers

Hope they realize they're fancy new stadium is going to sit empty for the first few millenia.

Mr. Rich says "the most expensive seat in the stadium will be $12, and juniors and seniors will be able to catch a game for as little as $5." Which means us average fans are going to be paying $10 for a lousy seat. Or we could just sit in the grass for only $8. What happened to $5 a game? Oh, maybe it's because the Springdale Ballpark will be the BEST in the country! Mr. Rich? "And we can't wait to begin play in what will become the finest Double-A Ballpark in the Country." What a crock of _ _ _ _!

Oh and I really love this one about how they came up with the team name... Mr. Rich? "The cooperative spirit of Northwest Arkansas is truly unique, and we wanted to be sure to capture it in our name." Obviously he's never been to NWA or maybe he should read the examples of "cooperative spirit" on this board.

Sure, I'll go to some games for lack of anything better to do in good ol' NWA. I'll probably go for the bargain seating out on the soggy grass for the low, low price of $8 a ticket. After drinks and a hot dog and maybe a few stops to the pay toilets I'll probably be out $50-60 for a game. Oh did I forget $5 for parking?

Dude, where are you going to buy tickets to any sporting event that going to be cheaper than that? I don't know of any other minor league sport that that's going to be any cheaper. They won't have any problem selling tickets the first couple of years. People will be interested because it's something new. But we'll just have to see when the newness wears off and if the team stays very competitive. That and if any other minor league sports pop up to compete for people's attention.

Hope they realize they're fancy new stadium is going to sit empty for the first few millenia.

Mr. Rich says "the most expensive seat in the stadium will be $12, and juniors and seniors will be able to catch a game for as little as $5." Which means us average fans are going to be paying $10 for a lousy seat. Or we could just sit in the grass for only $8. What happened to $5 a game? Oh, maybe it's because the Springdale Ballpark will be the BEST in the country! Mr. Rich? "And we can't wait to begin play in what will become the finest Double-A Ballpark in the Country." What a crock of _ _ _ _!

Oh and I really love this one about how they came up with the team name... Mr. Rich? "The cooperative spirit of Northwest Arkansas is truly unique, and we wanted to be sure to capture it in our name." Obviously he's never been to NWA or maybe he should read the examples of "cooperative spirit" on this board.

Sure, I'll go to some games for lack of anything better to do in good ol' NWA. I'll probably go for the bargain seating out on the soggy grass for the low, low price of $8 a ticket. After drinks and a hot dog and maybe a few stops to the pay toilets I'll probably be out $50-60 for a game. Oh did I forget $5 for parking?

The Naturals won the vote with 33%, the Thunder Chickens wasn't too far behind at 27%. My name, the Monarchs, was third at 23%. All the other were single digits. At least mine made a respectable showing. :D It's not official but it sounds like our team colors will probably be blue and red. Here's their website.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/index.jsp?sid=t1350

It's small but here's a look at a better rendering of the stadium.

OzW9rAFJ.jpg

Sounds like there's a good chance promoters will be able to tap the lucrative beer advertisements. The way the law stands now only Pulaski County can do it. The law actually states that only a county with a population of 300,000 can do this. But sounds like there's a good chance of amending it and getting it to pass so that Washington County will be able to as well. The amendment would change the 300,000 to 155,000. Going off the 2000 census this would allow Washington County to join Pulaski on this. Benton County hadn't passed that mark at the 2000 census, even though it's now passed that and above Washington County now. Not sure if that means Benton County could do something in 2010 even if it's still dry then or not.

Dude, where are you going to buy tickets to any sporting event that going to be cheaper than that? I don't know of any other minor league sport that that's going to be any cheaper. They won't have any problem selling tickets the first couple of years. People will be interested because it's something new. But we'll just have to see when the newness wears off and if the team stays very competitive. That and if any other minor league sports pop up to compete for people's attention.

I'm with you. The majority of the time there will be some gimmick where you can get free tickets or tickets for $2. Food is reasonably priced. Beer is a big moneymaker and if you drink more than a couple it gets expensive but that's true everywhere but home.

$5 parking is no fun but with 4-5 people it's not an issue. One kind of sucky thing about the NWA stadium is the location will make it hard to park for free a couple of blocks away and just walk. There are plenty of places in NLR that could be done (or just taking River Rail to get your close enough) and Ray Winder always had ample free parking.

I'm worried attendance may hurt a bit because of competition with UA and "sports fatigue" because of too many options and too many other expenses by sports fans in the area but I doubt prices will hurt the Naturals. It'll be a good bit cheaper than any other option in town. Cheaper, in fact, than the movies.

Uh........ its a reference to the sustainability industry, specifically geared towards development of sustainable building practices. Its only been mentioned about a thousand times as the "next big thing" in NWA, particularly in reference to Wal-Mart and the Arkansas Research and Technology Park.

Since "sustainability" is a reference to limiting environmental impact, and thereby protecting "nature", I thought that "Naturals" was something that fit an area that could possibly become known as the capital of "sustainable", "green" development and research.

I doubt you can go to ANY sporting event worth attending for less than $10.00 anywhere. You'd pay $50-60 bucks a game for one crappy seat at most pro sporting events, if you're lucky. Did I forget, $20.00 parking?

NWA cooperates in many ways.

I-540, Two-Ton water project, regional tourism marketing, etc...

The Naturals won the vote with 33%, the Thunder Chickens wasn't too far behind at 27%. My name, the Monarchs, was third at 23%. All the other were single digits. At least mine made a respectable showing. :D It's not official but it sounds like our team colors will probably be blue and red. Here's their website.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/index.jsp?sid=t1350

It's small but here's a look at a better rendering of the stadium.

OzW9rAFJ.jpg

I'm with you. The majority of the time there will be some gimmick where you can get free tickets or tickets for $2. Food is reasonably priced. Beer is a big moneymaker and if you drink more than a couple it gets expensive but that's true everywhere but home.

$5 parking is no fun but with 4-5 people it's not an issue. One kind of sucky thing about the NWA stadium is the location will make it hard to park for free a couple of blocks away and just walk. There are plenty of places in NLR that could be done (or just taking River Rail to get your close enough) and Ray Winder always had ample free parking.

I'm worried attendance may hurt a bit because of competition with UA and "sports fatigue" because of too many options and too many other expenses by sports fans in the area but I doubt prices will hurt the Naturals. It'll be a good bit cheaper than any other option in town. Cheaper, in fact, than the movies.

I don't think they're off to a bad start at all. I'm sorry you don't feel that way, but I think there will be plenty of people who will enjoy it and think it's well worth the money.

For individual games, super premium is $12, the most expensive. Premium is $10, reserved is $8 and lawn seating is $6. I just don't see those being outrageous prices.

I don't think they're off to a bad start at all. I'm sorry you don't feel that way, but I think there will be plenty of people who will enjoy it and think it's well worth the money.

For individual games, super premium is $12, the most expensive. Premium is $10, reserved is $8 and lawn seating is $6. I just don't see those being outrageous prices.

I think that any sports fan in NWA welcomes the Northwest Arkansas Naturals with open arms. From the time Razorback baseball ends in May or June if they advance to postseason, there is no sports activity during the summer besides American Legion baseball and such. Until Razorback football starts at the first of September the Naturals will have a monopoly on sports event attendance in NWA. Considering UA baseball tickets are now $10 and right now parking access is a nightmare, the Naturals seem like a pretty good deal.

It would certainly help the team's and stadium's success to have better access to that area. A interchange at the I540/ Southern Corridor is the logical way to provide that access but at this time there doesn't seem to be any support for that idea and plenty of opposition to it. I imagine when the area around the ballpark begins to develop and the access issues demand to be addressed there will be more support for an interchange.

I think that any sports fan in NWA welcomes the Northwest Arkansas Naturals with open arms. From the time Razorback baseball ends in May or June if they advance to postseason, there is no sports activity during the summer besides American Legion baseball and such. Until Razorback football starts at the first of September the Naturals will have a monopoly on sports event attendance in NWA. Considering UA baseball tickets are now $10 and right now parking access is a nightmare, the Naturals seem like a pretty good deal.

It would certainly help the team's and stadium's success to have better access to that area. A interchange at the I540/ Southern Corridor is the logical way to provide that access but at this time there doesn't seem to be any support for that idea and plenty of opposition to it. I imagine when the area around the ballpark begins to develop and the access issues demand to be addressed there will be more support for an interchange.

Archived