Gaslight Village - East Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

If you can't come to terms on a lease agreement...but your ad in the City's Bike GR map promotes your new location...and the street grid for the proposed location shows a little bike icon and your store name...life happens.

I am hopeful that Ada BS can find another nearby space. With 10,000 copies of the map out, there could be a lot of potential customers sharing your opinion.

Yesterday I found out "the rest of the story." Ada Bike sells a certain brand, which has territorial protection agreements in place. Another bicycle retailer offering the same line is situated "too close" to Gaslight Village, and the non-compete clause kicked in. Apparently it would not have worked for Ada Bike to not offer that brand in EGR.

Now we know....

[dang this whole thread is funny to to re-read]

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Graydon's Crossing in EGR/Gaslight Village Grand Opening on Monday

This is listed as an event on Facebook:

Host: Graydon's Crossing

Start Time: Monday, June 16, 2008 at 4:00pm

End Time: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 at 12:00am

City/Town: East Grand Rapids, MI

Description

Grand Opening of the Brand New Graydon's Crossing in East Grand Rapids. We have like a Gazillion beers both on tap and in the bottle, along with an impressive wine selection.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little housekeeping.

242733893_6d82313c93_b.jpg

We just noticed the signs have now changed to "No playing in the fountains" this past weekend. How can the fountain not be for playing in anymore? Perhaps having cars and people/kids/dogs mix in that little plaza was a mistake, and the developers are taking precautions, but why not just shut down the lousy 10 parking spaces there? And redirect people to the mammoth, FREE, always 75% empty parking ramp in back that can be accessed via 3 or 4 drives on multiple side? Are the fountains closed off for good, or was it just during the Art Festival?

Just when we thought Gaslight Village was becoming cool.

fantasy land east grand rapids was never "cool" in my books. Life is just too gloriously fake there, head down the street towards easttown and your ankle deep in poverty. (ankle deep! nothing more)

Talk about extreme generalizations there!

I think you're wrong on both accounts.

We just noticed the signs have now changed to "No playing in the fountains" this past weekend. How can the fountain not be for playing in anymore? Perhaps having cars and people/kids/dogs mix in that little plaza was a mistake, and the developers are taking precautions, but why not just shut down the lousy 10 parking spaces there? ...

Maybe someone tripped over a piano.

Wait, are you saying Gaslight Village loses its' cool factor because kids can no longer play in traffic?

Interesting perspective there... :P

Haha! Yes. ^_^ This past weekend, I would go so far as to say it had a real "sense of place", with people disobeying the signs and playing in the fountains, street musicians, the art festival, both patios (at Graydon's and Olga's) bursting with people. It was quite a sight. I almost wanted to move there. :)

It's the people that make it cool, not the 10 random parking spots that aren't really needed. Besides, most people can't parallel park in a straight curb-side parking space, not less an inverse angled one.

fantasy land east grand rapids was never "cool" in my books. Life is just too gloriously fake there, head down the street towards easttown and your ankle deep in poverty. (ankle deep! nothing more)

OUCH.

EGR isn't fantasy land. Eastown isn't poverty.

Just for the record, EGR has a lower average cost-per-home, lower per-capita income and lower-white-people rate than any number of Michigan 'burbs.

Eastown has above-average home-ownership and above-average per-capita income compared to many city neighborhoods across the state.

I happen to like both areas, thank you very much.

We just noticed the signs have now changed to "No playing in the fountains" this past weekend. How can the fountain not be for playing in anymore? Perhaps having cars and people/kids/dogs mix in that little plaza was a mistake, and the developers are taking precautions, but why not just shut down the lousy 10 parking spaces there?

My husband was getting his hair cut at Jude's last week and was told by the stylist that a little kid got hit by a car right in front of the barber shop.

So, as usual, one incident ruins it for everyone.

Haha! Yes. ^_^ This past weekend, I would go so far as to say it had a real "sense of place", with people disobeying the signs and playing in the fountains, street musicians, the art festival, both patios (at Graydon's and Olga's) bursting with people. It was quite a sight. I almost wanted to move there. :)

It's the people that make it cool, not the 10 random parking spots that aren't really needed. Besides, most people can't parallel park in a straight curb-side parking space, not less an inverse angled one.

It's easy to parallel park a bicycle. :) Perhaps what they need is a ring of vintage bicycle racks made by Cycle Safe in Cascade. They could even get the one named after their road, the Breton ( http://www.cycle-safe.com/TheBreton.tab.aspx ) or the Plymouth ( http://www.cycle-safe.com/ThePlymouth.tab.aspx ). I prefer the Plymouth.

It is unfortunate that they are disallowing this. It would almost be like going to Millenium Park in Chicago and not allowing people to play in the face fountains ( http://lh3.ggpht.com/_1yJB4AUYvSI/RrfP5_S8...AQ/B91E2996.JPG ). I realize that there are cars by this fountain, but that could be fixed without much of a sacrifice.

Oh, and that godawful ugly sign would sure much up any artistic/pretty photographs someone wanted to take of the fountain and the sculpture in the little plaza.

why not just shut down the lousy 10 parking spaces there? And redirect people to the mammoth, FREE, always 75% empty parking ramp in back that can be accessed via 3 or 4 drives on multiple side?

That ramp's going to be a little less empty very soon. Blodgett employees will be parking on the top floor starting today.

So it's the kid's fault? I am not following this logic. Ban the cars, not the people.

I'm not following your logic as to how from that one sentence from Sailor you're reading that she implied it was the fault of the child.

I'm not following your logic as to how from that one sentence from Sailor you're reading that she implied it was the fault of the child.

I think she was referring to the logic of the staffperson at the City of EGR who made the decision to put up the sign because of one incident that may or may not have been the fault of the driver or the child.

That's how I read it.

I think she was referring to the logic of the staffperson at the City of EGR who made the decision to put up the sign because of one incident that may or may not have been the fault of the driver or the child.

That's how I read it.

I don't know that it was the city of EGR. I think the plaza/fountain is considered private property of the developer, not a city street. Not sure on that though. I assumed it was the developer who put up the sign.

??? That's a bit of a leap.

Whoever made the unilateral decision to ban ped activity from the fountain is missing the point. This is a ped-friendly area. The appropriate response should have been to ban motor traffic from this attractive nuisance. Putting up a NO PLAYING sign is counter-intuitive and illogical, and won't work with those who can't yet read.

As others have stated, there is no dearth of parking nearby. There is no crying need for those ten auto spaces to be preserved. Too many of our urban spaces are being conscripted into shrines to the infernal combustion engine...whoops, now you've got me started!

Clearer now?

My husband was getting his hair cut at Jude's last week and was told by the stylist that a little kid got hit by a car right in front of the barber shop.

So, as usual, one incident ruins it for everyone.

Do I dare ask if his hair was cut by a cosmetologist or a barber - which one, that is?

And did he receive the neck shave with his hair cut?

(Don't throw rocks at me, just curious if they are still getting away with this practice

which is illegal in Michigan if performed by a licensed cosmetologist instead of a licensed barber.)

On topic - very sorry to hear about the little boy.

Do I dare ask if his hair was cut by a cosmetologist or a barber - which one, that is?

And did he receive the neck shave with his hair cut?

(Don't throw rocks at me, just curious if they are still getting away with this practice

which is illegal in Michigan if performed by a licensed cosmetologist instead of a licensed barber.)

Are you seriously bringing this up again?

Are you seriously bringing this up again?

Just curious is all. I mean, don't we all wonder how the heck some businesses, developers,

builders are able to expand and stay in business when the information is out there

that their practices are questionable at best, and illegal at worst? I see Jude's expanding

all over the place, so I am curious as to whether they are getting away with something

they shouldn't, or if they've cleaned up their act. I've been educated many times on this

forum about things that are right about people, places, and things in Grand Rapids, and

about those things that are wrong. Clean businesses deserve local support. Those that

deliberately break the law do not.

Just curious is all. I mean, don't we all wonder how the heck some businesses, developers,

builders are able to expand and stay in business when the information is out there

that their practices are questionable at best, and illegal at worst? I see Jude's expanding

all over the place, so I am curious as to whether they are getting away with something

they shouldn't, or if they've cleaned up their act. I've been educated many times on this

forum about things that are right about people, places, and things in Grand Rapids, and

about those things that are wrong. Clean businesses deserve local support. Those that

deliberately break the law do not.

Several people were kicked off this site a few years ago due to this whole Jude's Barbershop thing. That's why twoshort asked if you were serious (not sure if you were on here back then mejane). I suggest everyone move on to something else.

One thing I noticed the other day that is missing with the new Gaslight Village buildings is residential above the retail units. After having just spent a few days this week in Chicago again, seems like every little burg (like Elmhurst and Mt Prospect) has new developments that are about 3 or 4 stories with retail on the ground floor. Why didn't they do that instead of trying to take on an entire condo tower? I think it really would have added to the charm of that area to have balconies (with flower, chairs, etc.) sticking out on the 3rd or 4th floors (however tall it would have been).

One thing I noticed the other day that is missing with the new Gaslight Village buildings is residential above the retail units. After having just spent a few days this week in Chicago again, seems like every little burg (like Elmhurst and Mt Prospect) has new developments that are about 3 or 4 stories with retail on the ground floor. Why didn't they do that instead of trying to take on an entire condo tower? I think it really would have added to the charm of that area to have balconies (with flower, chairs, etc.) sticking out on the 3rd or 4th floors (however tall it would have been).

Will "The Derby" ever be built?

I would love to have seen what you describe above, Dad! It could have taken on a European charm.

In spite of all the new development in that block, I miss the old Jacobson's. I worked there through

high school and some college - it was a great place to work as a teen. Went to many of the Breakfasts

and/or Dinners With Santa after my daughter was born. No other place like it in GR for quality clothes

and home decor and furnishings all under one roof. Always preferred it over Rogers in Wyoming.

Archived