Gaslight Village - East Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

does anyone know what the latest is with the space behind Chase Bank and the other new buildings currently there? Are they still planning condos and more retail space? Where are the final plans?

Who is doing this project?

Thanks

I know they have met with the city and presented revised plans & elevations but I have not seen them. It has not broken ground yet.

does anyone know what the latest is with the space behind Chase Bank and the other new buildings currently there? Are they still planning condos and more retail space? Where are the final plans?

Who is doing this project?

Thanks

I believe Jade Pig Ventures is doing the entire project. Last I heard, their condo project that was supposed to include an 80 ft. tall building was approved, but I haven't heard about that in a while. I don't get to the EGR area much anymore, so maybe someone else knows the details of the Derby- whether it's broken ground or not, etc.

• 1 month later...

The EGR Planning Commission has approved the new design and orientation of the first residential tower at Gaslight Village, previously called the Derby. Instead of running North to South, the building will run at an angle Southeast to Northwest, and the ground floor retail of the building will be more oriented toward the fountain area.

Press Article

It goes on to the City Commission Feb. 4th. Built Form is the architect on this project (also on Gallery on Fulton). I haven't seen images yet, but will pass those along if I get them.

Oriented toward the fountain area? Is this replacing the parking ramp behind the sails or is there another fountain in EGR?

No, not replacing the parking ramp. Let's see if I can decipher this based on the EGR Planning Commission's ruling. It sounds like the building will be rotated counter-clockwise and be more oriented toward the new village plaza and fountain. Here's the old site plan and then in red is my estimation of where the new building will go. Blue line is retail/office:

2228443367_94216ee8d6_b.jpg

Here's the old plan with the ground floor retail and the big sculpture to the far left:

76345728_5637f6f8b7_o.jpg

Here's what the site looks like now. The parking ramp stops just East of the new plaza:

2228446023_03b66da694_b.jpg

2228447553_0e9b752b8b_b.jpg

I think it will be kind of cool to see the tower at an angle. Reminds me of a smaller version of a mixed use project I've seen in Evanston. Have to see if I can find a picture.

Ah, rocket pack again:

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...8&encType=1

Wow I like it. East needs more stuff like this. The rending looks like something you could find in Royal

Oak. In a few years East might look like Royal Oak, which is experiencing a lot of high end development.

I agree. I think I even like it better than the old one.

2231109682_59d972a2b5_o.jpg

And now that I see it, I think I've seen that image before (EGR Cadence?)

Wow I like it. East needs more stuff like this. The rending looks like something you could find in Royal

Oak. In a few years East might look like Royal Oak, which is experiencing a lot of high end development.

Royal Oak is the new Birmingham and Ferndale is the new Royal Oak.

sorta

Royal Oak caught on big time in the early 1990s when, after 30 years on the drawing boards, M-DOT finally connected 696 from I-75 to the Lodge. Suddenly Royal Oak was an ideal location in Metro Detroit, minutes from all major expressways and central to everything. Its Craftsman-era homes and the scale of its shopping district were discovered by a younger generation that had been priced out of Birmingham.

East Grand Rapids is never likely to become an epicenter of commerce, like Maple and Old Woodward in Birmingham. Gaslight Village is more like 'the Hill' in Grosse Pointe...isolated from the megaflow of regional traffic and pretty sleepy.

I still think the Derby is coming online at precisely the worst time...the demographic it's aimed at is having a damn hard time unloading its current crib in EGR. Take a look at grar.com under EGR...there are dozens of homes for sale with asking prices in the 300K to 600K range...and very few takers.

I think Jade Pig and the Joe Hooker development are in for a tough go on the sales front, even with their lowered price points.

I think Jade Pig and the Joe Hooker development are in for a tough go on the sales front, even with their lowered price points.

While I hope for the best, I tend to agree with you.

Who on earth is in the market for a bunch of $400k-$600k condos?!

I give this project a 50/50 at getting built....or, if they just build it, it sould be the Icon on Wealthy. :)

Residential would help Gaslight Village though.... as you pointed out, Royal Oak and Ferndale both benefited from being right in the of the entire Metro Area once 696 was finished. One key difference: Like the Grosse Pointes, EGR is perfectly situated for anyone working downtown. Heck, from my house to downtown is less than 3 miles by bike, bus or car. With downtown continually on the expansion the entire inner ring of 'burbs should benefit (as well as the neighborhoods within city limits...obviously).

I don't know. Existing homes on the high-end are still holding up well. I think the issue with the previous design is that there were no comps in that price range ($700K's) for new condos anywhere other than downtown in the metro area. Hard to get appraisals when there are few comps.

• 3 weeks later...

Gaslight Village may get new pub

Press Article

Knape's Corner

"The English pub would be the second Graydon's location for partners Larry Zeiser and Brian Giampapa, who opened the first location, 1223 Plainfield, two years ago. The East Grand Rapids City Commission is slated to consider a request for a liquor license for Graydon's at its 6 p.m. meeting Monday."

The article also mentions that they hope to open another bar at the old Waddell Manufacturing building in northern downtown.

EDIT: just noticed this was already posted in the Bar Scene thread. Guess I'm a couple steps behind today...

Gaslight Village may get new pub

Press Article

Knape's Corner

"The English pub would be the second Graydon's location for partners Larry Zeiser and Brian Giampapa, who opened the first location, 1223 Plainfield, two years ago. The East Grand Rapids City Commission is slated to consider a request for a liquor license for Graydon's at its 6 p.m. meeting Monday."

The article also mentions that they hope to open another bar at the old Waddell Manufacturing building in northern downtown.

EDIT: just noticed this was already posted in the Bar Scene thread. Guess I'm a couple steps behind today...

Smoke Free always a plus!!

• 1 month later...

That's excellent news! We really enjoy Graydon's -- heading there this weekend, in fact -- but we live biking distance to Gaslight Village.

And...biking might be the way we have to do it, if the HS students keep hogging the parking... :rolleyes:

Archived