NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

On 3/31/2021 at 9:23 PM, JacksonH said:

Too bad it's not the other church property closer to the heart of NoDa, but this is still positive.  And 12-15 retail units is very encouraging.

https://charlotte.axios.com/252962/micro-retail-and-micro-apartments-coming-to-noda/

There is a lot of NIMBY surrounding this project. Does it need a zoning variance? any chance neighborhood opposition kills it? 

6 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

If these NIMBYs moved into NoDa within the last twenty years then they knew exactly what kind of progressive/changing urban environment they were moving into and should just shut up.  It sounds like another case of I've got mine, now screw everybody else:  Now that I'm in, put up a wall to keep everyone else out who might like to share in what I'm now enjoying.

I live in a neighborhood very similar to NoDa.  It has changed dramatically since I moved here, and it was obvious it would.  That change has brought in more people, and with more people, guess what? It's more vibrant, more happening, more music, better restaurants.  And my property value has skyrocketed!  I don't get these shortsighted people.  If they want to be selfish, find another place.  If they want a neighborhood with a small town feel, move to a small town!

You're preaching to the choir.

To summarize the primary concerns(primarily taken from Nextdoor)

1. Parking(You'd swear this right was in the constitution based on the outcry.)

2. They will loose the large field that nearby residents take advantage of (despite not having any right to.)  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, InTheYear2000 said:

You're preaching to the choir.

To summarize the primary concerns(primarily taken from Nextdoor)

1. Parking(You'd swear this right was in the constitution based on the outcry.)

2. They will loose the large field that nearby residents take advantage of (despite not having any right to.)  

I'm not directing this at you,  but oh brother.  Parking?  If they own a home there then they already have parking.  Parking is a challenge for people coming to my neighborhood, who don't  live here, which is why there is a bus line going through (and Charlotte has #3 and #23 buses going right through the heart of NoDa).   And there's Uber, Lyft, Taxis, bicycles and those two appendages most people have extending from the hips.  And in the case of NoDa they also have a friggin' lightrail train coming right through there that millions of dollars were spent to build!  This ki d of project was the very point of that huge investment.  Trains AND buses!  My gosh.  That's just really lame.  I can't speak to the issue of the field they want to trespass on, but I know Charlotte is hoping to build that big "central park."  Charlotte does need more parks, and neighborhood parks (which, yes, are largely missing in the NoDa area) but nobody has rights to private property in the meantime (preaching to the choir again, I know).  City Council should hopefully dismiss their complaints quickly because they sound ridiculous.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JacksonH said:

I'm not directing this at you,  but oh brother.  Parking?  If they own a home there then they already have parking.  Parking is a challenge for people coming to my neighborhood, who don't  live here, which is why there is a bus line going through (and Charlotte has #3 and #23 buses going right through the heart of NoDa).   And there's Uber, Lyft, Taxis, bicycles and those two appendages most people have extending from the hips.  And in the case of NoDa they also have a friggin' lightrail train coming right through there that millions of dollars were spent to build!  This ki d of project was the very point of that huge investment.  Trains AND buses!  My gosh.  That's just really lame.  I can't speak to the issue of the field they want to trespass on, but I know Charlotte is hoping to build that big "central park."  Charlotte does need more parks, and neighborhood parks (which, yes, are largely missing in the NoDa area) but nobody has rights to private property in the meantime (preaching to the choir again, I know).  City Council should hopefully dismiss their complaints quickly because they sound ridiculous.

I'm playing waaay devil's advocate here, but in some of those older neighborhoods, single family homes don't necessarily have dedicated parking. I know an ongoing battle in Plaza Midwood is that the historic district doesn't permit the addition of driveways, so residents are totally reliant on street parking. 

31 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I'm playing waaay devil's advocate here, but in some of those older neighborhoods, single family homes don't necessarily have dedicated parking. I know an ongoing battle in Plaza Midwood is that the historic district doesn't permit the addition of driveways, so residents are totally reliant on street parking. 

any talk of neighborhood parking permits in that section of Plaza? (like in 4th Ward). It seems like we are moving in that direction. I think we need them in the Southend adjacent portions of Dilworth as well, although retrofitted driveways seem pretty ubiquitous.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

Thanks, I didn't know that.  But go up to Washington, DC, and you'll find neighborhoods of row houses without driveways and insufficient alley parking.  But residents in those neighborhoods have special street parking permits, so they can always find a spot  to park while people who don't live there cannot (at least not during certain hours).  People parking there without the permit get a parking ticket (I think this is the kind of thing Kermit is referring to?).   And DC traffic cops look out for every opportunity to write a ticket, believe me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kermit said:

any talk of neighborhood parking permits in that section of Plaza? (like in 4th Ward). It seems like we are moving in that direction. I think we need them in the Southend adjacent portions of Dilworth as well, although retrofitted driveways seem pretty ubiquitous.

I asked that exact question of a P-M resident, and all they knew is that it had been asked of the city but nothing had come of it. It seems like the obvious solution for several neighborhoods, I'm not sure why 4th ward found a way and no one else has.

11 hours ago, JacksonH said:

Thanks, I didn't know that.  But go up to Washington, DC, and you'll find neighborhoods of row houses without driveways and insufficient alley parking.  But residents in those neighborhoods have special street parking permits, so they can always find a spot  to park while people who don't live there cannot (at least not during certain hours).  People parking there without the permit get a parking ticket (I think this is the kind of thing Kermit is referring to?).   And DC traffic cops look out for every opportunity to write a ticket, believe me.

This. I've been living in the District for the past 5 months. It's street parking or bust. My work takes me all over the city. My parallel parking game went from pathetic to on fleek in less than a week. Residential parking permits are the norm in most neighborhoods. Indeed. DC parking enforcement are not the ones to play with. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I'm tired of making concessions for cars. I live in this neighborhood and on this side of 36th you would be hard pressed to find a home that does not at least have room for a curb cut.  I really hope this is just a few squeaky wheels because I could not imagine holding up transit oriented development a quarter mile from a multi-billion dollar LRT. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tozmervo said:

In the oldest part of Dilworth, Park Avenue to Tremont and Cleveland to Park, there were many (most?) lots built without regard for off street parking because in 1890-1910- there were no automobiles. There are alleys because rubbish was carted from homes and coal carted into homes and maids entered from the rear. A few alleys became access for the first two or so lots from the side street but the rest did not. Also those streets have one-side parking since with parking both sides opposing vehicles cannot pass and even a single trash collector or firetruck would be blocked with both curbs covered. The Greek Festival makes a nightmare of this area for parking but it can be difficult at any time. I know, I lived there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DownEast said:

My parallel parking game went from pathetic to on fleek in less than a week.

I totally get that!  Living in DC will make anybody an ace parallel parker.  I lived there for years and being able to parallel park is basic survival in that city.  I remember one time when some friends from Charlotte came to visit me.  They were blown away by my parallel parking skills.  Another time here in California somebody left a nasty note on my car for parking too close.  But the thing is that person had more space than I did.  It didn't even occur to me that someone would have a problem with how I parked until I saw the note because what I did would be considered absolutely normal -- and expected -- in DC. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

In the oldest part of Dilworth, Park Avenue to Tremont and Cleveland to Park, there were many (most?) lots built without regard for off street parking because in 1890-1910- there were no automobiles.

Indeed!  I just did a Google tour of that are and you are so right.  Beautiful houses, though!

• Like 2

This is before even my time but department store purchases were delivered to the rear, workmen came through the alley for service and only white guests entered by the front door. These are generalizations but mostly true for the 1890 to ~1920 period. After that the alleys were taken by the property owners and became garden or yard or went natural depending on the location. The rear ten feet, (sometimes 12 feet) were owned by the street facing property owners and reserved for use in common with all owners on the block. In other words, the owner of those 10 feet strips could not prohibit a fellow block owner from using the alley for access and in many cases the utilities used those alley strips also. Once rubbish collection moved to the front and coal delivery and other deliveries  moved to the front door and motor vehicles ruled the streets these 10 foot strips became oddities where an adjoining owner could require the strip owner to place his fence ten feet closer to the fence owners home, even if no current use of the alley were apparent. This "common use" deed restriction was a source of disagreements throughout the forty years I lived there. Owners assumed the strip appeared on their deed and survey but the restriction was valid if a property owner on the block asserted his right. 

• Thanks 1

what do you think of this new branding The Mill District for name for the Villa Heights, Belmont, Optimist Park and NoDa and I would add Arts District area.  Sometimes I say Belmont and have to say neighborhood not town so I understand why some may want this.  

The Mill District | Charlotte, NC (milldistrictclt.com)

4 local neighborhoods unite as the Mill District, and not everyone is happy about it - Flipboard

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4