Cosmo 418

vdogg

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are certainly glad to see we still have your support. Of course this project will never be "dead" however we are being sensitive to saying what path the project will take. In any case, we will be sure to include our UrbanPlanet supporters in any direction Cosmo418 will take.

**The newer rendering is the final product of the Design Review process and the changes that Norfolk DRB asked us to make. It is not too much different than past versions and is fully compliant to all Downtown Design Guidelines and requirements.

:tough:

We are certainly glad to see we still have your support. Of course this project will never be "dead" however we are being sensitive to saying what path the project will take. In any case, we will be sure to include our UrbanPlanet supporters in any direction Cosmo418 will take.

**The newer rendering is the final product of the Design Review process and the changes that Norfolk DRB asked us to make. It is not too much different than past versions and is fully compliant to all Downtown Design Guidelines and requirements.

:tough:

Also, could you shed any light on why the planning "staff" itself recommended rejection but the planning commission recommended approval? It was very odd to see a split like that and I'm curious as to the reasons why.

It didn't meet the "architectural relationship standard". The denial was for the Downtown Development Certificate which oddly enough was a unanimous approval when we went for that particular meeting.

Apparently that doesn't happen too often as we were told.

• 11 months later...

Thanks for all the support! Our Williamsburg project should be under construction shortly which we are very excited about as we will occupy one of the suites.

And since we favor the projects most tend to doubt, we are on board as the architects for the Southeast Commerce Center located in the Southeast Corridor of Newport News. It has already stirred up a little commotion in the community but what is a project without the pessimists!

I think I have already created a thread for it somewhere on here...

Check it out!

• 1 year later...

To tell you the truth, I'd rather them build something bigger and better that will take up that whole lot. That skinny thing wouldn't have been that special IMO, no ground floor retail? I wouldn't consider it infill.. I don't feel bad about not having Cosmo 418. I bet we will eventually get something much better.

I don't know how big the gaps would be...but in my hypothetical opinion, I would have liked them to build the cosmo then upon rebound of the market, build a mirror cosmo directly next to it...and finish out the infill. Keep a gap in the middle in order to have a groomed public walkway in between the two striking towers (if you can call it a tower). The block would be a signature testament to the time, and would create a good sense of place and add to the TOD around the new station. I know its a taboo, but sometimes with the trendy hip structures, its better to not always be completely connected to the surrounding structures...the same density is still achieved.

Archived